Recording In-Game Video (FRAPS Alternative?)

Looks cool. While I am loving OBS, I’ll give this a whirl with some TIE Fighter to see how it fares. Thanks!

Update: after trying seemingly every trial version of any decent video editor on the planet, I settled on Cyberlink’s Power Director. Out of the endless parade of garbage, theirs has great speed and hardware support, seemed least buggy and prone to errors, along with a lot of easy to use, yet powerful tools. It’s not perfect, and I wish there were more advanced options to dig into as far as rendering (more codecs, more tweakable options), but the results and speed sort of shit all over everything else I tried.

You might want to give it a peek Brian. It’s quite nice if you need to do some simple edits to things and has plenty of options.

On the other hand, OpenShot should actually have a Windows version within the next year for free, and that certainly looks very powerful and sensible.

I think I’m getting slightly obsessed with this…I’m now considering an HD capture card and some other stuff, as I’ve been making game vids for friends and family (which they’ve enjoyed) and I hadn’t really thought I’d have so much fun doing them.

I too am considering an HD capture card as well. :) It’s a ton of fun, this stuff. I’ll look at Power Director. Thanks!

Really is a lot of fun. . . I’ve been “gently nudging” my fiancee to remove her eBay semi-business detritus from our second bedroom so it can become her fulltime office. . . meaning that she’s not operating on a laptop on the couch behind my PC. . . meaning, of course, that I can stream/record with voice in the evenings when she’s home. As I work fulltime 8-5 and she’s a student with variable schedule, I rarely get an evening to myself, and I’d love to make more videos.

If it adds anything, I, too, settled on PowerDirector in the end.

I looked at PowerDirector’s page, it doesn’t talk much about it’s recording capabilities, mostly it’s editing, at least that I saw. It records good videos too?

Oh, no, sorry. I was only referring to editing/revising already-recorded footage. I use it to clean up stuff before adding it to Youtube.

Okay, primarily, I’ve used it to produce a few short videos for work before they hired someone else to fill that niche, but I ALSO used it at home to make my XSplit-recorded stuff a little more professional looking before the big upload.

Oohhhhhhhh, okay, I was like whuuuuuuut.

I still need to try that Action thingy.

You can also record voice over directly in Power Director, which is pretty handy to have it directly sync up with the video.

ARISE thread!

So question y’all. I tried streaming a game to Twitch today, and while OBS did a great job, the video still ended up being a bit choppy. Now I do plan a system upgrade soon, but I wanted to ask y’all, what’s the quickest solution to this issue:

1. A newer video card?
  2. A newer CPU?
  3. Increased Internet speeds?
  4. Other?

Thanks guys!

2 and 3 mostly.

Sweeeeet, thanks!

do you have a quadcore already? at the bare minimum, that will help greatly with on the fly video encoding while gaming.

I have what I think is a first gen i7, not sure if its quadcore.

It depends on why the video is choppy. If it’s choppy on the preview window and the game is stuttering, it’ll be CPU, if you’re dropping frames on Twitch (OBS will tell you how many frames are dropped), it’s your internet. Either one can be remedied by lowering your video quality/bitrate in OBS.

that should be and has HT. your bottleneck could bandwidth. or hd i/o.

As a slightly related tangent, Action! has apparently added some streaming options. Though it appears the feature involves a subscription of some kind and I haven’t bothered to test it.

The way I read it on the action site, the subscription is if you only wanted to stream, and not if you wanted to use all of the program’s features? Maybe?

BTW I did some testing and Action! has the lowest cpu load of any of the non-hardware video capture & stream tech. It is simply amazing to see it hovering at just 1-2% additional load while recording .8 Gig per minute.

That sounds right.

And yeah, Action is very efficient. Also using the Intel on board graphics chip to encode straight to mp4 is a super nice option.

Still very pleased with my purchase.

So wait, even if I spend $30 to buy the program, I still have to buy a subscription thingy to use streaming? Yeah, no, thanks.