Red Alert 3 announced

I was always more of a fan of the RA games, but my buddy always looked like he was having more fun with the C&C games. Calling in giant space ion lasers is pretty cool.

EB has C&C3 pretty cheap, but they see the C&C Mega Collection for $40 which includes EVVVVVVERRRRRRYTHING. How do those (updated?) older games run in Vista?

Did anyone see this:

and get excited at the propects of a game that finally brings the visual style of Team Fortress 2 or Jet Grind Radio to the RTS genre? And then see, say, this:

and think, “What a nice looking C&C 3 mod.”

Oh, and regarding the public beta test: I bet EALA is finally dumping Gamespy. They were hiring some network programmers with “experience in matchmaking service development” last year. And Red Alert 3 will be their first RTS to have a public beta test. Wouldn’t want to unleash a new gaming service to the masses without insuring that it’s solid, right?

Ironically, EALA was the one RTS company that managed to consistently wrangle Gamespy into something usable.

They fear the specter of Starcraft 2.

What about the visual style of Jet Grind Radio or Team Fortress 2 would you want imported into the Red Alert series? It’s grown into a disdain for the realistic but that doesn’t convince me that cartoony makes a perfect fit. I’m no artist either, but I feel that besides unit differentiation, there’s not a lot of artistic techniques directly translatable from those games. 99% of the time, you’re viewing those buildings and units from the highest altitude available. Aside from the voxels, the design of the units was one of my favorite aspects of Red Alert 2, and it appeared a lot more creative.

That woman’s uniform is…odd.

Yeah, not many military uniforms seem designed to accentuate the hoo-ha in quite the way that one does.

Now if only they’d add sharks with laser guns mounted on their heads, I’d be completely sold on this.

You forget - this is the Red Alert universe. It would need to be sharks with tesla coils mounted on their heads.

What i want are some …

They should make Peter Sellers a hero in the game. He would damage everything within a 15 mile radius while screaming in a bad French accent!

Oh man, Panda versus Panther!

Will this game german-accented, de-nazified rocket troopers? ParaBears vs Panzerfausts.

Woah, am I late to learning that RA3 will support CO-OP campaign play?!

New gameplay video: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52751

Looks like the rumors were true, the ps3 version is “on hold”. Whatever that means in polite business PR speak?

From Strategy Informer: Jonathan Goddard, PR Manager for EA said; “We can confirm that the development of Red Alert 3 for PS3 has been put on hold. EALA is focusing resources on development for PC and Xbox 360 which will ship simultaneously this autumn.”

Link: GameWatcher: Video Game News, Reviews, and Guides. | GameWatcher

Pc gaming is do0med…

-Tim

The last gameplay video they released was interesting. For one thing, you can build almost entire bases in the water, which should make for interesting map dynamics.

Also, they are adding quirks like enemies on higher elevation being invisible to units on a lower elevation.

Finally, most of the units are amphibious in the sense that they transform into a naval transport counterpart when you move them towards water. I think this feature was in Rise of Nations or Rise of Legends first.

Cool.

Also, they are adding quirks like enemies on higher elevation being invisible to units on a lower elevation.

Starcraft (and it was annoying there too!)

Finally, most of the units are amphibious in the sense that they transform into a naval transport counterpart when you move them towards water. I think this feature was in Rise of Nations or Rise of Legends first.

Rise of Nations. I didn’t like it, because it meant that water served as an invasion gateway rather than a barrier. You absolutely had to spam light boats just in case they sent in teh transports.

Anyone know if Klepacki is doing the music? If so this is a total buy for me!

Hmmmmmm hmmmmm.

-Julian

Can i dream with more varied music like in the first C&C? I want classical music, and rock, and funk, and industrial, and techno and…

polka!

I am a mechanical, i am a mechanical, i am a mechanical man!
/dances polka.