Red Alert: Unplugged, Public Alpha | Fan made sequel to the classic C&C: Red Alert 1

Hi!

Coming out from the OpenRA modding community is a new game called Red Alert: Unplugged (to be renamed) that will pose as a sequel to the original game, Red Alert 1 (1996).

Together with Blizzard’s classic game titles, Command and Conquer was the ground breaker for modern RTS games, making it for many to be a nexus of the genre and forever ingrained as a source of nostalgia. OpenRA has brought back the old C&C titles back to life in a modernized format and as a modding platform supports classic RTS games in general, including KKnD and KKnD 2: Krossfire, Tiberian Sun mods, Red Alert 2 mods, all developing on the OpenRA engine. It is from this modding platform that this new game is being developed.

For those unfamiliar with the story of Red Alert the premise is a bit tongue-in-cheek with Einstein time-traveling to the past, ridding the world of Hitler and prevents the surge of the Third Reich, however as a consequence launched Europe into a great war between the Allies and the Soviet Union. You can read this amusing in full at: http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Second_World_War.

Red Alert: Unplugged aims to build on that premise, however the official story is that the Allies won the war and set the premise for the story campaign for C&C: Red Alert 2. Unplugged simply wedges itself in between the two, building on a premise of a Soviet victory and expands the turn of the events beyond the game ending of Red Alert 1. You can read about the mod and the story draft at: https://www.moddb.com/mods/red-alert-unplugged.

The aim is for a full release with the campaign to see the light of day, August 2019. However given the nature of open-source development the project is accessible publicly and available with access to basic functions such as Skirmish, a few missions and online multiplayer, features supported with the OpenRA engine.

We would love for more feedback, especially from newcomers unfamiliar with the original game or the open-source project OpenRA. All updates to Alpha are available at ‘Files’ on the mod page linked above, with most of the project activity running through Discord.

We want this game to be fun, creative and also supportive of competitive events. Join with us and let us know what you think!

SoScared,
Project manager

I should probably plug the teaser trailed, posted earlier this year:

Nice trailer. Good luck with it. Command and Conquer was my favorite RTS back in the day. I hope this does well for you.

Is it just more missions/maps with story? Or are there new buildings/terrain/units in the traditional ‘total conversion’ style?

And will you have cheesy FMVs? I always skipped them, but I know that for some people they were the best bit .

It is planned for a campaign for the Allies and Soviet, and IMO it wouldn’t be make-worthy without cheesy cut-scenes! I loved RA1’s video briefings particularly as it felt like they hit the perfect balance between goofy and realism.

There are some new units available and plans for more units and structures. Some ideas are original (e.g. Mammoth KV-8!) and some will be pulled from the universe of RA2 such as the British Sniper and German Tank Destroyer.

Also worth sharing I think, the mod’s multiplayer should be ripe for some good action.