Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

The time it takes to travel long distances between locations, can be reduced by stopping to fish if given the opportunity. :)

I ended up finding one in a different spot. I still don’t have a badger icon on my map, but I think I only need one.

I’m not quite the fisherman you are :-) I don’t mind it when I need a bit of food or something, but I can’t spend a ton of time on it.

I really enjoyed setting autopilot, as it were, and just enjoying the most zoomed out view.

Oooh, you’re gonna be stoked when you discover the cinematic view! Hold down the menu button on your controller. You can switch the view by pressing in on the left stick.

-Tom

Oh yes! The game tells you about that during the return from Cuba.

Autopilot-horse is nice and all, till you are randomly attacked by a cougar.

On a road? That never happened to me. Alligators, on the other hand…Lemoyne is not the place for autopilot.

Yep a road that went up near a mountain , with an overpass if I recall.

You can even play the game from the cinematic camera! It’s like playing Resident Evil, but you’re playing Red Dead Redemption instead.

-Tom

Speaking of fishing, I noticed something in the mission where you get the ability to fish (where you take Jack fishing). Specifically, the cut scene with the agents. There’s a moment where Arthur appears to go for his pistol as they turn around, but stops when Jack interrupts him. Implying that he would have tried it (and likely succeeded) had Jack not been there, thus changing the (game) world forever.

Good catch! This game is so good I might have to actually replay it someday.

What’s the context for this? Which agents and what would have changed? I love details like this, and you’ve clearly noticed something I missed, and now I want to know more!

-Tom

Early in the game, Arthur is confronted by the two agents Ross and Milton, who are looking for Dutch. This is mid-way through chapter 2, when Arthur takes Jack fishing. That moment looks like the chance Arthur has to end them right there, and since he doesn’t, they go on to be the big baddies through the remainder of this game and RDR1. Ironically, it’s Jack’s presence stopping Arthur (and it’s Jack that kills Ross 15 or so years later).

At least, that’s how the moment looked to me. They get done telling Arthur to turn in Dutch, and then they turn their backs (they are either underestimating Arthur or too hell bent on getting Dutch. Or both). Arthur is about to go for his sidearm, but there’s Jack. And Arthur stops. All in the cutscene. I missed it my first full play-through, and I missed it the second time when I played until Chapter 3.

It was a nice touch. A near miss to an entirely different life for the gang.

The thing about cops is that there’s always more of them. Now Micah…

True story. And really, even if Micah was removed, Dutch was the one enabling Micah and is likely to have enabled someone else similar to Micah. Separation from Dutch was the only correct path. Regardless of Micah or cops…

Oh, as I recall you can definitely get murdered by a cougar while riding your horse on a road. That one north-south stretch toward the western side of the world is one place they like to attack. Another is in the woods kinda near the last camp your group ends up at.

Today, they at least finally acknowledged that they are working on GTA VI.

After bailing over a year ago on the PS4, I finally restarted and finished the entire story on PC. I’m glad I got back to it because I really enjoyed the journey of the story. I’m surprised I enjoyed it so much because if I just based my opinion on the game play I wouldn’t have ever finished it.

The gunplay was probably the mechanic I most enjoyed and it wasn’t great. I did feel like a badass quickly aiming and blasting enemies in quick succession - especially when I was using the dead eye skill. I guess it wasn’t always in quick succession then but it felt good to wipe out a ton of enemies without them getting much offense off.

I know this is blasphemous because a lot of people like the hunting and fishing but I found those pretty dull. Where RDR 2 excels is taking something I find boring in isolation and at least making it palatable because of the incredible atmosphere. And not just the graphics, which are great, but the game just makes me feel like I’m an outlaw living out in the wilderness. It made me do things that should have just made me turn off the computer and say nope - like following prompts to build a fence and pound in nails. It felt like work, but maybe that was the point. There were so many things in this game that are pretty dull, but dammit I wanted to continue and for them to succeed.

I also wish they wish they gave the player some more control over how the story played out. I understand that probably wasn’t possible to tell the story they wanted to tell, but it was frustrating. Is it weird that with the relative lack of positives I have to say about the game I’m also kinda sad it’s over? It’s like getting to the end of a well-liked TV series. I miss many of these characters and having a real reason to stay in that world. Sure, there are things I can do - I didn’t kill any of the legendary animals, look for many treasures, find dinosaur bones, collect stuff - but the thought of doing those things just doesn’t seem fun to me. Well, I did like the treasure maps I did and I think I have another I can do, so maybe I’ll go back for that. I could pursue those outlaws for that guys book too - the one I did was pretty entertaining.

There is always Read Dead Redemption 3 when / if it comes out. For as much negative I have to say about this I’ll gladly return and inhabit that world again.

That sums up my feelings fairly well. I like living in the world and a like the story aspect but the mechanics are driving me nuts. The save system, the hunt for perfect pelts especially all the small game and birds, the awkward clothing system that wants you to go with pre-made sets. Yet even when things frustrate em the most I wait a day or two and fire it up again to do another mission or simply to explore a little as a roaming hunter.

They took SO LONG between RDR1 and even ANNOUNCING RDR2, but it was such a huge game…no way they don’t keep going, right? Not sure where the story goes from here, but man…I like those games SOOO much better than GTA. (I mean, I like GTA pretty well, too…I’ve played then all since 2, I believe. But there’s no contest which I prefer.)