Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

With the old thread being a few years old and pre-dating any official details on the game, let’s kick off a proper thread for what will probably be every professional outlets GOTY.

First, what prompted this thread is there are a ton of previews out there, so some sort of embargo must have lifted just a bit ago. Here is a good list of them, courtesy of ResetEra.

That thread has a nice bullet list of things we know about the game so far:

• Has 1st person mode.
  • Customisable HUD.
  • Each character will have different sets of clothes to coincide with weather conditions.
  • Clothing customisations go as far as allowing layering and minor adjustments, like the option to roll up your sleeves.
  • You can physically see all your weapons on Arthur’s character model–you can hold only hold two sidearms and two long weapons (along with a knife, lasso, and throwables).
  • Like the first game you have a range of choices, and your decision affects your honor meter.
  • It’s possible to shoot weapons out of enemy hands
  • Dead Eye now has 5 levels, Level 1 allows for slowdown, Level 2 allows you to paint targets and unleash a barrage of shots, and Level 3 allows you to manually pick your shooting points, etc.
  • Gun customisation, such as engravings.
  • Beard grows over time, but you can shave.
  • You get hungry over time, but you can get fat if you eat too much, effecting stamina.
  • Stats like stamina can be raised by doing physical activities (such as in GTA V or Bethesda RPG’s).
  • When hunting, you can sell the carcass or take it to the butchers for meat. If you leave it too long, it’ll rot.
  • Your camp will not wait for you. Members of your gang who reside at camp will come and go, and finding out where exactly they’ve gone from others will be the basis of a number of quests and side quests.
  • You can name your horse.

It’s coming very soon, 10/26 for PS4 and XBOX, but no PC details have been revealed as yet. Fingers crossed!

Information on the Online aspect of the game can be found here:

Strategy Guide here:

Information on the towns/cities in the game, and some world building:

Grand Theft Auto V, the studios last game, came out in 2013. Five years ago? Man. How time flies.

Additional details I found cool from skimming some of the previews:

• A button dedicated to firing warning shots.
  • Your character is a new recruit at the start of the game. I like this because it will feel new to me while it’s new to my character.
  • Five state map.
  • divedivedive changing his avatar to Bender is quite the mind fuck.
  • With guns holstered, the left trigger allows you to focus on things, getting a context sensitive menu to interact with objects or people in a variety of ways. Like Rob, Greet, or Aggravate. WIth your weapon our, you have different options when you hold down Left Trigger.
  • Customization of the UI, at least the mini-map stuff (including turning it off)
  • Three levels of zoom for the 3rd person camera (yay!) and of course, the aforementioned 1st person view.
  • From Kotaku, “the gun details in the game are noticeable and admirable. Morgan loads each bullet into the chamber one by one. When he’s done with his gun, a double tap of a shoulder button makes him twirl it before holstering it.”
  • The gunplay sounds neat - one button press to fire, a second button press to pull back the hammer.
  • Lots of changes and iteration on the random event stuff promised.
  • Different types of horses, and you bond with your horse and learn new skills with it.
  • Horses have testicles (I mean, in the game as in life) and they expand or shrink depending on weather. Someone had a job to do, and I guess they took it really seriously.
  • You can play honorably or dishonorably, the game reacts to whichever way you want to go.
  • From Kotaku, “Later, we went to the base camp, which was full of people and points of interaction. One woman told Morgan about what sounded like a new mission. Two other women nearby started chatting about massacre and a curse and asked him his thoughts. “You believe in curses, Arthur?” one of them asked. “No, I believe in bullets and not too much else,” he replied. “You soulless wretch,” she retorted. A Rockstar rep said that wouldn’t have happened if Morgan hadn’t lingered in front of them.”

Please come to PC. Please come to PC. Please come to PC.

What? You had a wealth of thread names to choose from and you opted for “Red Dead Redemption 2 - The Official Thread”? I find this unspeakably depressing.

Better?

How about:

My Heroes have Always Been Red Dead Redemption 2

Unredempted (my favorite).

The Redemption Bunch

Once Upon a Time in Red Dead Redemption

Red Garrett and the Redemption Kid

A Fistful of Redemptions

For a Few Redemptions More

The Red, The Redemption and The Two

• Each character will have different sets of clothes to coincide with weather conditions.
  • Clothing customisations go as far as allowing layering and minor adjustments, like the option to roll up your sleeves.
  • Beard grows over time, but you can shave.
  • You get hungry over time, but you can get fat if you eat too much, effecting stamina.

I just love these kind of slight procedural changes to the look of your PC. Some are customizable, but others change on time or how you play the game. Just adds a lot of character to the game

I added (and will keep doing so) additional details I picked up skimming the first preview I picked, Kotaku, to the OP.

Poll to rename the subtitle of this thread

• All Good Deads Redeem Twice
  • My Heroes have Always Been Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Unredempted
  • The Redemption Bunch
  • Once Upon a Time in Red Dead Redemption Two
  • Red Garrett and the Redemption Kid
  • A Fistful of Redemptions
  • For a Few Redemptions More
  • The Red, The Redemption and The Two

0 voters

I like my new sub-title!

Edit - I do also really like “For a Few Redemptions More” though.

I got inspired on the last three. You see my fave in the votes.

All right, so anyway …

This is one of those minor details that always makes me happy. I love this in stuff like Mass Effect and Gears of War, that all your equipment fits somewhere on the body and not just in one of those video-gamey bottomless pockets.

I like this too. I wonder if it increases when on Horseback. Also whether you will be able to have a base for more storage.

I went for the Ultimate package pre-order today.

Ok, this game just changed from “I’ll wait and buy it when I have time to play it” to “I’m going to buy it on Day One and put it in my backlog”. First Person mode! Wow!

LOL, awesome. :)

Red Dead Reduck You Sucker!

I prefer the alternate title, Once Upon a Time… the Redemption, or the original Italian, Giù la Redenzione.

OK, you’re testing me. I get it. Yes, I did read the entirety of your post. So maybe it took three full reads to notice this, so what?

With that title, people are going to be able to easily find this thread, this is horrible. :(

First person is pleasant surprise, I was wondering if they would put in all that work again.

It sounds like a game that could move gaming a bit further again.