Reentry - Early NASA Spacecraft Simulator

This looks like it might be completely amazing:

Essentially DCS for the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo spacecraft. Normally that would intimidate the hell out of me but it’s also apparently very well tutorialed and very clear with the (historically accurate) checklists and such (and even an active pause!). Looks amazing, though still EA. I’m looking forward to seeing what comes of it - fingers crossed it gets properly finished. Most recent release is 0.996 so hopefully not too far to go.

How have I not heard of this before? DCSpace is insanely up my alley. Seems like my laptop will just about be able to run it, too. As soon as I get back home I’m all over this.

For weirdos like me there is a collection of manuals. The Mercury one alone is 115 pages.

https://reentrygame.com/manuals

They need to make it VR and have a realistic capsule. Only 300-400 switches to know!

VR’s not my cuppa, but from the website FAQ:

VIRTUAL REALITY

What about support for Virtual Reality?

A simulator like this needs VR support, and this is why I decided to release a preliminary support for Virtual Reality event before the 1.0 milestone, just to get started with VR development. You can consider the implementation as being in a research phase and is currently not affecting the price of the product.

It leverages the SteamVR SDK. I have had support for VR in internal branches for a long time but have not yet had the time to focus on it. I decided to just release its current state, so those who wish can start helping me in testing this. This is in an experimental phase and requires an HMD with motion controllers.

Surprising, I was being facetious having seen inside a Mercury and Apollo capsule, it’s just walls of switches and knobs.

Oh, I know, this developer is lovably nuts.

I do appreciate the sincere efforts to make that wall of switches and knobs comprehensible.

It is amazing. Actually what is more amazing is that there wasn’t a thread on it before now! If you have any interest in the American space programme and are a simulation fan prepared to put in the work (DCS type nutters like myself) buy it ASAP.

Big update to 0.997. Getting close!

How do you control these vessels? Do you need a steel battallion controller and 5 keyboards glued aroiund your monitor?

edit: Ah, I watched some videos and it’s just mousing around 1,000 toggle switches. I imagine you use a stick/game pad at some point for the joytstick input?

N9 is also using TrackIR. Apparently it also works in VR too. Ooo, enticing.

I don’t think joystick inputs were used much but for very few and specific manoeuvre in the spacecrafts of the early space program? so you should be safe by just flicking stuff around.

Do you play as specific historical astronauts like the Mercury Seven? I gotta admit it would also be nice to have the option to play as one of the Mercury 13 or as a jimp.

Not going to buy it in EA, but very much looking forward to 1.0

Words cannot convey how much I love this. All the best games back in the day came with multiple manuals.

I super don’t have the brain power anymore to attempt a game like this, but people should support them just for letting us see all those manuals without owning the game. Fun to look at even if I never touch the game.