Remnant: From the Ashes (Souls Shooter)

Piqued.

Merci

I like to think the dev team are not just masochists and did perhaps design that encounter w/ coop in mind so that one poor bastards has to ‘take the hits’ while the other plinks away. Either way it is still pretty insane that the kamikaze rusher minions not only explode for area damage but also drop debilitating status effects on you where you literally cannot shoot and can barely move too. It is pretty evil. :-)

I got Gorefist on first boss and beat him on second try, he didn’t seen that bad. Just have to use iframes on Dodge roll through exploding guys.

I did have a ton invested in vitality and stamina, which likely saved me.

I did. When coop is an option I’ll fall back on it, or use it primarily as my muse wills. So I went public.

It still took us like 7-8 tries, and bless the patience of the guy who dropped in. So we’re clear every failure was on me - dying and leaving him to solo. We did get him down to maybe 30% one time when things fell completely apart. But, we did it.

I’ve gone for help since. Ther was a cool encounter in an abandoned church with enemies swarming in that I dropped late in but the two coop folks got it finished and rezzed me. I couldn’t even get to that point solo; the stretch before it was tough (although not frustrating; I died twice). I’ve since acquired some gear upgrades and now rethinking my loadout.

I would not have wanted to keep grinding against Goreshmoopy without coop help. Did enough of that opn Black Cerebus in The Surge, lol.

Most fights with bosses just have to be approached knowing there will be adds. If you approach it like a dark souls fight you will lose for the reasons complained about. Took me awhile to rework my thinking but I get it now. The adds provide ammo and also help to up the challenge that otherwise (in some cases, like Gorefist) wouldn’t really be so bad. Gorefist for example is really just a standard root brute that has an enrage. The adds are what make it a boss fight.

Also coop makes it much more simple. For that fight I went upstairs, friend stayed under me and I shot over the railing while he fought him down low. Gorefist pingponged and we had tons of room to deal with adds.

The adds also keep you from only bringing your hardest hitting weapons, since many are fast small creatures. That way you need an assortment of tools.

The boomers can also just be rolled away from once they stop to 'splode fwiw.

I just rewatched @tomchick stream from last night and he got Gorefist and even got him down to half health at one point without help, so I can honestly say for the first time, he is quite good at this game.

I played this game quite a bit today and had a blast. Ended up teaming up with a couple friends and had a great time. Most boss fights took multiple attempts and they went from “holy cow this is a bunch of crap” to knocking them down pretty efficiently, once we learned the mechanics of each fight. I will say that in many fights, particularly Gorefist, audio cues were really important.

I saw a mention above about the world but seeming very interesting in streams. Just want to say that you things aren’t static throughout the game and that the setting can change pretty dramatically. The part I’m in now is nothing like the start of the game, both in environment as well as the kinds of enemies I’m fighting.

I also played this a bit over the weekend. It reminds me a lot like Hellgate: London - but not in a bad way! More like, if the Hellgate writers were not nearly as incoherent and if the graphics were updated to modern standards… it is more like I remember Hellgate playing back in the day rather than how it actually played (I found it did not age well, when it was re-released on steam recently). The starting hub and initial environments reminded me a LOT of the starting Hellgate maps.

A few annoying things: character progression is kept in multiplayer, but not the story progression. So, be prepared to replay plot if you are not hosting. Also, although billed as drop-in, drop-out, you will not be able to join the party and actually play until everyone reaches a bonfire (or everyone dies). This means you might be waiting for several minutes after joining a game before you can actually play… If this is not true, I sure would like to know!

Class selection heavily influences game play in the first part of the game, but it looks like as you level you can get the equipment and skills of other classes (so moving from a scrapper to sniper is perfectly doable, just the starting equipment will tend to force the role initially).

Boss fights are definitely tricky… It was frustrating solo - the bosses + all of adds were very hard for me to handle by myself. However duo was perfectly playable for me, and turned the boss fights from impossible tasks… getting one or two shotted over and over again… to something doable (given a few retries to learn the area, boss patterns, etc).

The rhythm of the game is: leave the hub to enter main world (this might be a fixed map, I am not sure yet) - find a dungeon entrance, then fight though the randomly generated dungeon, then a boss fight (selected from a number of possible bosses for each area). Defeating bosses will unlock skills and crafting materials.

It feels like a combination of Hellgate and maybe the Chalice dungeons from Bloodborne. So far, a promising games - not really a looter shooter, as most equipment so far is either crafted or simply upgraded (+1 shotgun, +2 shotgun…). There are unique items that can be found on the maps, like rings providing +crit for x seconds on monster kill and so forth.

Great write-up. And your thoughts are in line with a lot of other feedback I’ve seen making the Hellgate: London comparison. Seems like a game Hellgate fans should check out.

We had the same impression. It probably made sense considering it’s post-apoc and you’re fighting demon type things in sewers and subways at the start.

Then suddenly everything was reminding me of Stargate, not Hellgate. :)

I have a couple friends who want to play this coop, so it’s going to be kind of tough holding off until our schedules align for a few hours each Saturday. I really want to dive back in and play some more.

Does it scale to highest level player or host? Where each host would roll their own worlds seems you could play then join their hosted games depending on how scaling works. This can potentially get you different weapon drops too I believe.

Tom clocked in 2 more hours of this, its looking good as a co-op game!

It’s a little too frenetic for me solo, but can definitely see it being a blast with several friends.

I had a total blast playing solo, almost finished desert area. The boss fight so far are not too bad, I did die whole bunch times while fighting the fire-breathing dragon (the boss weapon it drops is my favorite weapon so far). With proper mod power and upgraded guns, most bosses so far took me about 1-2 tries to get through on normal difficulty.

Add me to the camp of people comparing this to Hellgate London…but in a bad way, lol.

From Reddit: ’ Level Scaling Information

Hi all, tragic (aka Ben Cureton - Principal Designer) here,

There has been a lot of questions and misinformation regarding the level scaling of Remnant and I wanted to clear a few things up and give you the knowledge to better plan out your adventure! We’ve received lots of excellent feedback from our players and look forward to making the game even better because of it. For now, here’s how level scaling works!

(NOTE: This is an edited reply that I posted in another thread):

The game uses a weighted average to determine your potential power. It searches each slot (both equipped and inventory) and finds the highest level item and uses it for that weighted average. So, if you have a +5 gun (so level 6 behind the scenes), a +3 secondary gun, a +2 sword, and +1 armor (all 3 slots) your weighted afterage is probably level 5. Now, each NEW area you go into will be 5+1 (so 6). Your level 6 gun will be doing work, and your armor will be below-par.

Additionally, the resource drops to upgrade your gear is based on the ACTUAL average level. In the above example, using the same gear, your average level is 3.16 (so level 3). It will keep dropping regular Iron until your average is +5. Then it will start dropping Forged. This is to compel you to keep leveling up your weakest gear.

OK, so… If you are level 2 in a level 5 area because you just sprinted ahead and never upgraded, enemies will be doing 30% more dmg than normal (or better said, you wil lbe taking 30 % more dmg than normal). You will also be doing 30% less damage than you should.

If you decide “OK, I clearly need to level up!!!” and get to level 6, that level 5 area REMAINS level 5. It never changes difficulty unless you reroll the entire campaign. This is so that you can absolutely power-up and outlevel the area that was giving you problems. You will now be doing 10% more damage and taking 10% less damage than you would had you been level 5 against level 5 enemies.

Now, if you leveled up to level 21 (+20 all items, the max gearscore), that area that you previously spawned at level 5 would be an absolute joke. You would be doing 150% more damage and you’d basically take almost no damage… because you outlevel them by a massive margin.

Just to be clear, once a zone is spawned at its level, it NEVER levels up again until you reroll the entire campaign. This is so each level starts at a challenging level and allows to you power up and get stronger, thus making it considerably easier should you decide to do so!

EDIT: When I say LEVEL, I mean your GEARSCORE (both weighted average and your actual average). This has nothing to do with Trait Rank. Max gearscore is +20 which equates to Level 21… meaning, the highest the enemies can go is Level 22. Of course, this is all behind the scenes.

EDIT: Reworded some stuff so players understand that it also checks your inventory. Unequipping items doesn’t change anything.’

With their setup (campaigns are random to some degree), seems like a really good system. I hate it when RPGs are constantly level-scaling to you so that you never get a feel of being any more powerful. This neatly avoids that while also making sure that the new areas you go to are challenging, at least until you’ve farmed them heavily.

Based on comments here, especially the connections being made to Hellgate (a game I have some fond memories of and still have a t-shirt from even, though it’s a bit, um, ratty now), I picked this up.

So far I like it. I did the tutorial part and then a bit of exploring. The writing and voice work are adequate; thankfully, the game does not take itself too seriously, while avoiding slipping into self-parody. I do like lines like “It’s the apocalypse; I can be as grumpy as I want!” or something to that effect.

I knew breaking boxes was a way to get scrap, but I found out breaking office chairs and auditorium chairs is great, too!

I kind of like the fact that you can seamlessly move between melee and ranged, though it took a little while to get used to the way they do it.

It’s definitely not a full function 3D world like you might find in Assassin’s Creed; again, the Hellgate: London comparison is apt. Lots of things you can’t climb on, that you think you should be able to climb on (in fact, it seems so far that their is no mantling or non-stair/ladder type climbing), and there are a lot of boarded up openings that look like you should be able to bash through, but you can’t. Still, it maintains a decent illusion of an open-ish world.

The checkpoint system is pretty elegant, with healing and restocking at the price of respawning normal enemies.

And I like the shotgun, like I usually do in these types of games.