Remnant: From the Ashes (Souls Shooter)

Gamepad works flawlessly. If you need help then let me know.

At least you’re forewarned about potential frustration, especially frontloaded. :) It’s terrific if you can get over the hump. Don’t be afraid to co-op bosses that give you fits!

; )

Just when I was feeling souls withdrawal, this game comes along.

I’m using a controller and I like it quite a bit. Game isn’t a pure shooter. The pace of combat really is souls with guns. Rate of fire, dodging, ability activation. Not just boom boom boom.

A word on the difficulty: if you’re approaching the game as you would a traditional 3rd person shooter, than yea, it’s fucking hard for one of those. If you’re approaching it as a souls game (you expect to die a lot, repeat levels, grind a bit to level up, and smash your head against bosses) it’s actually not so bad.

And co-op helps. As does messing around with different armor, weapons, mods.

Always be upgrading. Mats are plentiful.

The proc gen in this game is insane. Really makes playing through the game with multiple people fun and exciting!

I ran into the Ent, and died a few times, so I went back and poked around in another area I had missed, and ended up outside the Depot, where after poking in to see how that fight goes, I called it for the evening. I never played games like Dark Souls, so this is a new experience in terms of how to approach it; as @Scott_Dobros notes above, I have learned it ain’t The Division.

All my gear (that I use, which means all weapons and my Drifter armor) is upgraded as far as I can go without fortified iron, which, um, I’ve not ever seen, and suspect it’s not available at the point I’m at. I tend to use the hunting rifle and SMG, but I’ve swapped in the sniper rifle for open maps with the magnum as a sidearm. I don’t have either shotgun, as I did those on my first attempt with the ex-Cultist, and wanted to try something different, but I wonder if I shouldn’t get the shottie and fully upgrade it too.

Are there any maps anywhere? I guess not, as it’s generated. I find it really hard to place myself in the game world, in terms of visualizing where I am in relation to checkpoints, etc., because so much of these levels (so far) look really similar. One sewer looks like another, one street like another, etc. And I’m guessing you can only teleport to certain specific checkpoints, unless it’s the “last checkpoint” you visited? Not a real issue, because the fighting to stuff is fun and lucrative, but I guess I’m used to more predictability!

It’s a really nifty AA game (as opposed to AAA), at least as I figure it. The animations, art, and overall fit and finish is pretty good, but clearly not Ubi or Blizzard level. Then again, the game wasn’t sixty bucks either.

If you guys keep loving it by next weekend I’ll grab it also. :P
Busy the next few days.

I need some help with swamp thing right now, he’s a pain in the derrière. Never mind, he’s down.

Oh I think it’s AAA. The game ain’t all sewers ; )

I felt the same way about visualizing the game world and my place in it. The overall structure of the game world and the way you navigate it will become clear later. I won’t say anything more cuz spoilers.

After you’ve upgraded every slot to +5, fortified iron will start to drop. The game actually rewards you for constantly upgrading your gear. Don’t hold onto those mats.

With help of a nice Public Co-op partner, I was finally able to beat Totem father without a scratch.

Totem father is not hard, just with solo, it gets dicey when all the adds from totem spawns, so really need to destroy whatever the totem he puts down, then focus on him. Also watch out for the lighting totem he puts down, that thing hurts if it hit you. But with Co-op that’s much more manageable, as one can focus on the totem and the other can focus fire on the totem father

I’m sure the game works fine with a controller, and that’s how I started playing it at first. But since hitting weak spots is a significant part of optimizing damage, I ended up switching over to a mouse and keyboard. I just can’t get the kind of aiming finesse with a gamepad to take advantage of headshots and whatnot. YMMV, of course.

For what it’s worth, you’re not locked into any of these weapon/armor combos. The stuff the other “classes” get will be freely available to you for a minimal cost. But, yeah, who wouldn’t want that hat and jacket?

-Tom

Is this Dark Souls paced or Bloidbiurne paced? Hoping for the former

That red shiny drop is the long gun ammo, white drops are for the short gun ammos, blue shiny for Lumenite Crystals (I think it only drops when you kill an elite), yellow shiny are for scraps and different types of upgrading irons.

Now I finally meet the final boss:

the first form of the final boss is not bad at all, but once it transform into 2nd form, you do so little damage, it is not even funny, until you got transported into a black/white world, and you must kill as many adds as possible to gain buff when you come out of the portal to get meaningful damage to the boss. I was playing co-op with 2 other players, the boss health is so ridiculously large, it is not even funny. Even when one go through the portal and get buff, and dishing out damages in the 7~8 thousand range to the boss, the boss health bar is just barely moving, the other 2 player are only inflict damage in the double digit to the boss. I guess, I will try to see if I can do it solo to min. the health scale of the boss.

The cure for bleed status is…you’ll never guess…bandages! You can get them from the guy who sells consumables for like 50 or 100gp. Put them in a quickslot and you’ll be fine. These conditional antidotes will be a helpful concept to learn for when elemental effects start messing you up. Rot is the really fun one!

Also, keep in mind the bar at the bottom of the screen shows an effect building up. It doesn’t actually kick in unless you let the bar fill up. So it’s okay to mosey through a pink spore cloud and pick up a little infection so long as you let it dissipate.

-Tom

By upgrading every slot, does that mean all the crap you have that you don’t use, too? I mean, you can’t sell any weapons or armor, so do I have to upgrade all of them as well? Even if I never use them?

I think it’s based on equipments items

I know they have a check to make sure you can’t equip low level items to cheese a new area by rolling it really low level, so it does check your inventory. That being said, I’m pretty sure the devs said they take an average of your highest upgraded gear for each slot, whether it’s equipped or not. You shouldn’t have to upgrade everything in your inventory.

I get that, yeah, I mean, for the better crafting stuff to drop. All my equipped stuff is +5 now but I’ve not seen any fancy metal. Did get a whatchamacallit to upgrade my dragon thingy though.

I’m referring to the better crafting stuff. It’s based on the “level” of the area you’re in, and that is rolled based on the average level of your best equipment for each slot, whether equipped or in your inventory or not (to avoid cheese).

The game won’t re-scale areas that have already been generated, though, they only get generated once. So if you have everything +5, you should start seeing Forged Iron in small quantities in the next area you enter for the first time.

Gotcha.

Man, Ixillis was a seriously difficult fight as a solo player. The battle takes place on a narrow bridge where you can easily get knocked off if you’re not paying attention, and you have to contend with two bosses on either side. I got through it, but it basically required perfect timing. The Undying King is pretty challenging, too, but nowhere near as frustrating as it feels fair and there’s plenty of space and cover to use.