Remote desktop solutions 2022-2023

I just streamed a bit of Moonlight D4 myself to the office from home and it was smooth as silk. They just released a new patch which supposedly helps stuttering, though.

It might be tied to my setup - eg Parsec seems to handle the resolution transition much better. But even when I force 1080p on my server monitor, it still stutters in the Moonlight client.

I would also play with h264 vs h265. My work computer has an AMD SOC and it kinda sucks with h265. Play with bandwidth usage also, 35Mbps seems fine for 1440p60.

Parsec also has a problem with severe slowdown if I watch YouTube (or play any video at all, really) in my second monitor while streaming to the primary.

@stusser eid you have to do anything for the Xbox controller to work with steam? I tried the moonlight uwp app last night, and I could only get around with mouse mode. There was a setting ti flip on some controller support in steam that looks like it wasn’t on without a controller plugged in to the pc, so hopefully it will work when I try it later when I am home.

You don’t need to plug a controller into the PC. It should be detected as a native 360 gamepad when connected to whatever you’re using as the client. Can’t be in mouse mode though in moonlight of course.

I eventually got it to work. I think in the end it involved disabling some of the controller settings in steam which didn’t make a lot of sense to me. Played a few minutes of Cyberpunk on the tv.

I have found Steam input hijacks some games like ETS and makes them not recognise Bluetooth Xbox controllers. Could be doing that with the streaming though I haven"t encountered it myself, nor with Cyberpunk .

I have a couple Intel NUCs and an Udoo Bolt that I no longer use for work so I’m thinking maybe I should just repurpose one of those to run Moonlight. I could also have steamlink on it.

Overkill but sure it’ll work great.

True, but they have been sitting on a shelf doing nothing for the past 2 years since I no longer maintain any TPM stuff for us. Looks like the cmos battery is toast on one of them, so I will need to fix that or just use the Udoo which is working, but larger and has less usb-a ports.

I need to spend more time with the UWP app for the xbox, but I was running into hitting a button for the app, and the triggering a response from the xbox itself instead. I’m also not sure if the uwp updates automatically, and how closely it keeps up with the main client in features.

I certainly enjoyed playing Age of Wonders 4 over the past couple of days on moonlight though. Makes me want to get a Couchmaster Cycon2 and do all of my gaming out on the couch and tv.