Remotes for smart TV

We’ve now got a couple of Sony 950G “smart” TVs for our new house that we will hopefully be moving into within a month. One for the den, one for the bedroom. Trying to make things as simple as possible for my non-techie wife, who REALLY hates change when it comes to our tech. For reason best for another thread, we’ve switched from Dish to Youtube TV. We use the internal app which actually works fine. We also added Philo for a few channels that YTTV doesn’t yet have. In addition, we watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, and on occassion Hulu (though we may drop that for as little as we use it.) All internal apps on the Sony 950G smart TV. We’ve used our Roku in the past but don’t see any advantage over the internal apps and a couple of disadvantages (again, for another thread.)

Right now by far the easiest way to switch between apps is by using the google voice app on the remote. But, for various reasons, I’d like to set up a remote with dedicated buttons to switch apps. My Harmony 650 doesn’t have that option. I’ve been told the Harmony Hub plus remote would work for this. But I’m baffled by the options. Don’t want to use a smartphone option, want a backlit remote and ability to assign the apps to buttons. Will want to do this for two rooms and TVs. Any guidance anyone can give me on which remote, etc? Pitfalls? A better remote option?

Thanks

I have harmony hubs with the small button remote on every TV in my apartment. I love that remote, but it doesn’t have voice search and isn’t backlit.

Hmm. Backlit is kinda a must for us.

The remote is very well laid-out so you can feel the buttons. Hasn’t been a problem for me at all. It isn’t like I have the lights on looking at the remote.

Good point. I assume once I have the two hubs (I assume I need one for each TV) if I try a remote and decide I need to switch to a backlit one that’s easy enough to do.

Yes, but their LCD remotes are pretty expensive. You can find the hub+smart remote on sale for like $65.

Gotcha. At this point I’m not setting up a lot of other equipment with the TVs, just a sound bar, so the LCD remotes may be overkill. Though I like them, LOL!

The coin battery in the smart remote lasts forever. Like, over a year. You need to recharge the other remote all the time, it’s a pain in the ass.

It’s not clear to me looking at that remote that there are enough “free” buttons that could be assigned to Netflix, Prime, YTTV, Philo, and Hulu?

You can program any button to do whatever you want, pretty much. I have the “2” button sending “X” from a bluetooth keyboard to send a stop command to Kodi for example.

Hmmm. I suppose with this setup I don’t have a lot of need for the number keys…

Of course, who the heck needs number keys these days? What are you typing in 202 to switch to watch HBO live or something?

Well, back when we were using Dish my wife knew exactly which channel was HGTV or whatever, so she’d type that in to get there rather than scroll through 200 channels.

Right, that’s ancient, these days everything is on a DVR or streamed anyway.

Well, we do watch live TV also, but on YTTV there are no channel numbers. And the guide really, really sucks.