Removing Duct Tape from a Car

I believe you have to drill holes in the car first.

Duct Tape will just peal off with the Virginia sun.

Did this happen at your home/apartment? Also, does the tape ONLY cover that sticker? If so, it could happen again.

I’ve always been tempted to get a video camera with night vision or whatever to catch vandals. Not that I’ve had problems with them, per se, but the idea still seems cool. Alternatively, you could take a car battery (not the one IN the car) and hook it up to said bumper so that next time they get a nice surprise for fucking with your stuff.

That’s not vandalism, it’s community service!

I hate cats. Hate.

However, I don’t see why just ripping the tape off your car would cause any damage at all. Unfortunately, I have no supporting evidence for this, so I wouldn’t trust me either.

Athryn, you’re living a little bit too close to the red parts of VA. Come closer to the dark side (i.e. Washington) and you’ll find people asking you “where did you get that bumper sticker? I want one for my stroller!” rather than vandalizing your car.

Of course, you could get a (also open to interpretation) bumper sticker that says “Virginia is for child lovers.”

Aleck

Goo Gone comes in a spray bottle now. It’s great.

/not a viral marketer

God forbid the people driving behind you should be ignorant of the fact you are a cat lady.

I guess it is sort of a good idea, if your windows are down and the stench of cat piss wafts into the automobile of an upstanding citizen, he may mistake the odor of ammonia for a sign of nearby bomb components. Unless of course, he is aware that you just happen to have drenched yourself in Feline No.5.

Virginians are Vigilinians.

Egg yolks will soften the tape and make it peel off as easily as possible. Beat up about a dozen eggs in a bowl and then drizzle them over the rear of your car. I do this whenever I want to remove stickers from my car, it has worked numerous times.

I thought eggs would take your finish off and damage the paint, hence the suckiness of getting your car egged and not cleaning it immediately. Is it ok if you just clean up right away?

My humble Explorer used to get vandalized on a weekly basis with continuously more obnoxious key marks. I used to blame it on filthy misguided hippies, but I later realized it was probably someone that was envious of my parking spot. By the way, acetone works well for most non-enamel, latex-like polymers… luckily most cars are painted with enamel, so your paint is safe. If you want to make sure, just try a little on an inconspicuous spot.

No reason to trust anyone who hates cats.

Count me in with the Goo Gone disciples. I use it to get sticker gum off packaging and such, and I’m sure it would take care of duct tape residue with no effort whatsoever. You may have to do the “slather, peel, slather on newly revealed sticky part, peel a bit more” thing, which will take some time, but it will work.

Jesus, so I guess that once you’re out of the beltway it’s 'Deliverance" country, huh? :P I’m only about an hour out of DC on 66. :P

Jesus, it’s just a bumper sticker. I don’t have 27 cats or anything, I have 2, but I dote on them as if they were kids. So does my boyfriend. I suppose if it were dogs it would be more socially acceptable, neh?

Not really.

I think you can just pull the tape off. I give you a 50/50 chance that the bumper sticker will still be intact.

I refrain from putting bumper stickers or spaghetti monsters on my car because I may be pulled over by a cop who may take offense to my bumper sticker. Most Police/Motorist encounters start under Unfavorable conditions, and I see no need to make the DC of my Diplomacy check any more difficult than it already is.

Were you taking Flowers seriously again? You should know better than that!

I think it’s a Bay Area (California) thing, then. Where I’m from, it’s perfectly normal and acceptable to treat one’s pets as if they were surrogate children, particularly if they’re dogs (Dogs actually outnumber children in San Francisco.)

Oh well, whatever. If it weren’t for my pets helping me get through some rough periods of my life, I might not be here. So I love them and care for them as members of my own family.

And I was semi taking flowers seriously, I know I shouldn’t. ><

Amen to that. The only thing I’d consider putting on a car would be a small, not-tacky, “Clemson Alumni” decal in the rear window, and even that’s risking you get pulled over by a cop who’s a big University of South Carolina fan (that’s the big in state rivalry in SC). I’m sure 9 times out of 10, it’d be no problem, and I haven’t been pulled over 9 times yet in my life, but why risk it?

I think you can just pull the tape off.

I am somewhat surprised that wasn’t tried right off the bat. Just peel up a little corner and see what it does.

Anyways the longer you let it sit the worse its gonna get. /shrug

QFT. Time does bad things to adhesives.

That’s when you put a pro-cop sticker on your car, like that you donated to the policemen’s ball or support the local sheriff or “I brake for no-knock warrants” or some shit.