Replaying Baldur's Gate

IMO the zoom feature is the best part of EE. You get the best of both worlds, by being able to see the beautiful pixel art when you’re just wandering around, and seeing all the relevant details when you’re in battle.

Does EE run without a problem in W10?

On a decent sized monitor?

J have you tried the new BG enhanced? It does look a LITTLE better. Plays pretty good. I played through BG 1 again last year on it.

I played the EEs on a 40" 4k monitor. They look fine.

W10, of course.

lol charm --ultimately a gnome illusionist becomes a bit of an atom bomb by the end right? At least you have sleep and magic missile at level 1!

Oh, does it? I’ve never done a Wizard-type as a main character before. I’m usually thieves or pallys or clerics.

Also, this is my first ever evil playthrough. I usually have a hard time playing evil in RPGs, but the state of the nation has brought out my inner misanthrope.

The good news is that all the best party members are evil!

I’m shameless and mod out all the “but nobody likes Viconia!” nonsense. Viconia, Edwin, and Korgan 4 lyfe.

Err, BG1. Uh, yep. I have lots of knowledge and feelings about that too.

Back in the day I solo’d both BG1 & 2 as a Mage/Thief. It is a pretty dominant combination of powers late in the game.

Yeah, I ran it at 1440p in Windows 10 a while back, ran amazingly well.

The BG games got me back into PC RPGs after not having played any since the SSI Gold Box games in 1990 (and becoming more of a console gamer).

I didn’t play BG at release. I remember being in a gaming store and coming across the box in 2000 and marvelling at the box art and screenshots. Played it over the next year and picked up all the other Infinity Engine games afterwards, along with Wizardry 8, Divine Divinity, Morrowind and others.

My god, 1997 to 2002 was an RPG golden age, indeed.

And not just Western RPGs, this was the period that gave us FFVII - FFIX, Suikoden 2, FF Tactics, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Skies of Arcadia, Valkyrie Profile.

I have a BenQ, mint in box, in my garage. But it’s pretty old and the garage can get humid. I may be like the guy with a vintage bottle of wine who finally opens it, and it’s vinegar.

I guess this thread is a good place for this: BG and other Infinity Engine games coming to consoles:

Seems like it might be tedious on a controller?

Wow, that’s weird. Still I’ll probably rebuy Planescape.

Gosh I wouldn’t wanna play on a controller. And I (last year) went through BG 1 again… (and it was fun --beamdog style.)

I have Planescape:Torment beamdog and am wondering whether it might be fun to go through that again (on cpu not consoles sry for the break in thread)

I have to confess to never finishing any of them (I typically never finish RPGs). Yet I was thinking the other day, “Ya know, when I die I don’t want anyone to write Never Finished Baldur’s Gate 2 on my tombstone.” And I know my kid would do it, too, in some obnoxious font.

(I would do it – especially to a Browns fan)

LOL - much appreciated, Kristi

That’s the only one that might play okay with a controller. Heck, personally, I think that’s the only RTwP game that plays okay with a mouse. (Out of these games mentioned, obviously. Other RTwP games that worked great were KOTOR games and NWN 2).

It’s the only one I actually like. Yeah I know, everybody loves Baldur’s Gate. Well not me.