Replaying Baldur's Gate

They will have to redesign the U.I., but it could work.

There are already somewhat similar RPGs on consoles (Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age, plus Diablo, Titan Quest, Path of Exile).

Not that I am interested in revisiting these classics on a controller.

But maybe they will add KB+M support for Xbox. Just an interesting time when more PC/Western RPGs are on consoles and more JRPGs are on PC.

They already ported these to iPads and phones. I fail to see how a controller will be a bigger challenge than a touch screen.

I don’t. A touch screen isn’t much different than a mouse, in essence. You use the tip of your finger or the cursor of a mouse the same way. A controller though, whole different beast.

Didn’t the first Pillars of Eternity as well as Tyranny make it to console? I imagine it will work like however those games do it.

A mouse can rightclick, works better with click+drag, etc. It’s similar to touch but much more flexible. Gamepads are a completely different matter though, agreed.

Baldur’s Gate holds a special place in my heart with its patch-work “open world” wildness, low and slow leveling, and funny character sound bites.

I would try to kill everyone and see how long I could survive with those Flaming Fists spawning everywhere.

Generally, two-touch is right-click on a touch display, and two-touch and drag is also possible for right-click and drag, so that sort of thing has been addressed in some fashion. That’s why I said “in essence” because the way every touch game handles touch is a little different and I didn’t really think I needed to get into specifics to defend my position. But the larger point was that touch and mouse are much more closely related to each other than controller control schemes, which it sounds like you agree with.

Even then accuracy is very low, so you still need to rejigger your UI. Mouse accuracy is within a radius of 3-4 pixels at most.

And to clarify, I’m not trying to say Mouse and Touch are equal in any way. Just that they are much more closely related to each other than either is to Controllers.

Yep we’re in agreement there.

If I have BG2 Complete, is there any reason to get Enhanced? I don’t really care too much about extra content but if Enhanced any better with UI or graphics that I can’t simply mod on my own?

It largely depends on your patience and time (as a resource) as well as how content you are to hunt down and download all the mods and install them. I don’t know if there is anything specific the enhanced edition does (I believe there is, actually, but some of that may have by now made it into old-BG2 w/mods for all I know) but the fact you can just… install it and go is hugely appealing to me.

Then again I usually lost interest in a game after I spend a few hours getting the mods I want together and installing them before I even play it, so that’s just me.

Thanks. Went on and grabbed it. Like you said, just being able to download and go is worth another $13. Still think I’ll get the mod that lets you skip that first giant ‘tutorial’ dungeon. Ugh.

Yeah man, Dungeon-B-Gone is a must. Otherwise the EE has some UI scaling niceties, (shitty) new characters, a couple UI things I’m spacing on that are nice but hardly required, and I believe some additional bugfixes beyond the latest fixpack.

Honestly last time I fired it up I didn’t even bother with the tweakpack, just Dungeon-B-Gone and off I went. Still so, so, so good.

e: whoa, I just loaded up https://www.gibberlings3.net/ to see if they were still hosting the files and it’s all updated and active and shit! Goodbye, weekend!

e2: whoa, the fixpack is updated as of 12/2/2018! I love everything and everyone.

Okay. I’m starting BG2 over again (what can I say, I know what I like) with the latest fix/tweak packs as well as almost all of Sword Coast Strategems. Gonna F/M/T it up I think, unless I wuss out and do the ol’ F/T quarterstaff death machine.

Anyway, the point is that SCS is literally taking like 30+ minutes to install after going through the config in the installer. Patching all the files! Whee!

So the real question is: How to party? Good-aligned, for warm fuzzies but shittier characters than the three far-and-away best NPCs around? I dunno! The problem with evil is that you get the best:

Fighter - Korgan
Priest - Viconia
Mage - Edwin

Then you take your PC for sneaky stabby fighting, and Jaheira because she’s an all-around badass and the best kind of Druid, and you’re left with just one utility slot for whomever. So that ends up being like:

Korgan
PC
Jaheira
Valygar (or maybe Aerie or Mazzy?)
Viconia
Edwin

And it’s fan-freaking-tastic, but I’ve done that before. So maybe I skip the temptation of evil, and go with something more like:

Keldorn
Minsc
Anomen
Aerie
Jan

And then my PC can be whatever I want, since thieving is dealt with by Jan even though he sucks. I suppose fast-forwarding his dialogue isn’t that onerous. But then Anomen and Keldorn just kinda suck as characters. I suppose Aerie could cover the clericing if Jaheira is around to provide healbotting support.

…omg it finally finished installing, laters y’all!

Neera is great!

Her quest hub / zone is fucking terrible, however.

She’s the least shitty, for sure. She’s no Edwin Odesseiron tho

I always kill him because he’s evil and being evil in BG is a pita.

Well hell, bugs already before leaving the dungeon. I guess none of this SCS nonsense after all.

Being evil in BG is fine! Just need to mod out the reputation nonsense.

Level 1 NPC is the best. I don’t tweak the stats and I try to keep everything D&D legal, but I like to tweak the classes and kits.

The only problem with BG 1 is the lack of Jan Jansen.