Republic of Rome forum game II

Yes, it certainly was. And the inability (again) to even try to fight the Punic Wars was a big factor.

The Epidemic is what allowed me to win. i.e. flat out luck with the Mortality chits during that.

I’m happy to play another game where ever we start. And I’m also happy to make room for other players if we have more than can fit.

I didn’t track it closely but I had the impression that the extra initiatives were a factor in this game too. Only an impression, though, I don’t really know if anyone gained an advantage from it.

I do think this would be better suited to 5 players. Once we decided one of us would win, we ran over everyone else, and I felt bad about it.

Even better with six, IMO.

I read that thread yesterday and it seemed pretty wild. :)

Edit: Four players…probably not enough.

@antlers @CF_Kane @Knightsaber @rho21 good game, thanks for it.

I thought that was a pretty minor decision and was shocked that it blew up so spectacularly. Nemo me impune iacessit, I guess. I had been surprised previously by the deal that brought Fabius Cunctator to the Optimates, because it was the result of secret negotiations and I had no idea any were ongoing. I thought “Assidui doesn’t win” was pretty much settled by the initial deal and my general unfamiliarity with the game.

Once it became clear that Optimates and Shepherds were collaborating. it was also clear that Fabius would go for the win if Macedonicus didn’t manage it, or even if Shepherds wasn’t interested in an immediate win. That’s why the assassination attempt on Fabius.

Yes, @rho21’s comment gives me a different perspective on it.

This is funny, cuz for a good part of the game I kept looking at your faction and saying I wish I had those guys.

Yes, I totally get that. It was a good move, though I think you guys should have tried Macedonicus first with the assassin card, and done it before he was able to reduce your voting block. I’m guessing you had enough vetoes in hand to force him to send his own Senators to govern provinces, but I don’t know that. It’s what I expected to happen.

Yes, that goes to show my unfamiliarity with the game. I didn’t have a clue at the beginning how valuable Aurelius’ influence was in recruiting senators, and I didn’t know that the family rule meant that having Cornelius was a huge prize (even if Scipio ended up not showing up until too late). I also didn’t realize the importance of influence in swaying prosecution and Consul-for-Life votes (although I also didn’t believe that such votes would be contested until we got a little further along…).

I was beaten down early by Evil Omens + Pontifex + a Mortality draw + Original Aemilius being killed while at war that I was down to 7 votes and something like 10 talents coming in.

Our spirit-of-cooperation agreements that let me get concessions back, and pick up Senators from the Forum while others passed brought me back from the bottom.

We probably could have beaten a few wars without Macedonius and Fabius and we didn’t prosecute enough.

In general, I think I ended up in a winning position because we were all too polite to each other for too long. (I know we wanted to see the Middle Republic, but I had to take it when it all came together.)

I feel pretty bad for @antlers, I had to send Governors and I knew scott was on my side, in case Macedonius fell, Fabius was all set to try. The failed assassination made me feel terrible, to be honest. After that I just wanted it to end, in all truthfulness. I don’t think anyone else would have been having much fun if we kept going.

So, sorry @antlers if your fun was ruined. Someone’s fun was bound to be taken away. This is a rough game. I also had no clue what was going on when we started but I think I’ve spent two weeks studying the RoR rules like there’s a midterm coming up on them.

No need to apologize-- the plague and unrest was a real opportunity that came up in game.

Great game all @Knightsaber, @scottagibson, @CF_Kane

Thanks so much for the narratives, @rho21!

In that regard, this is the death threat that Aurelius sent to Optimates. He was totally guilty, and deserved to be convicted.

Evidently, Calpurnicus arranged through one of his servants for a “team of assassins” to attack Fabius if Optimates voted the wrong way. The “team of assassins” or more likely the servant himself happily took the silver and didn’t bother showing up at the crucial time. This explains Calpurnicus’ impotent rage before he himself chose to strike.

Love it!

Someone should really run John Company next, with all these semi-coops going around. It doesn’t even have hidden information!

I so want to play John Company. Totally in. You can actually play that without a moderator too, as long as you trust people to roll dice (or use an online die roller). A shared google sheet would help.

You need someone to draw from the event deck, right? That’s about it though

(If I had it I would try to run it but I don’t :( )

Yeah, I suppose. I have a copy, but am a little tied up in the Founding Fathers game at the moment. I’ll pull it out and see if I can do anything about it.

Haha no worries! Moderating one game is a huge service, let alone two.

That is an excellent threat :)

(That seemed strange to type.)

I think I’m taking a nice forum game break. Avalon and BSG and RoR kind of sucked the life out of me.