Republic of Rome forum game

My experience playing real life, or even live on voice chat is that it tends to have a certain social pressure to go along with things which makes the game run more smoothly. Part of it might be my groups, but it’s a lot easier to be a wet blanket here on a PBF game, haha.

This is true, I think with all games that have a diplomatic aspect. When I used to PBEM/PBF Empires in Arms, I’d add an aspect of formality and role play (His Most Catholic Majesty writes to you, his royal brother, at this time regarding the dispostion of Parma, now in the hands of the infidel Turk). Without the immediate social pressure, that sort of thing seemed far more appropriate and effective.

I wish some sardonic Protestant or even Muslim ruler had had the temerity to go by, “His Least Catholic Majesty”.

Yeah, the social pressure of ftf changes these games a lot, and I think they lose a little of their potential.

Diplomacy is also better played one turn a week :P

I never cared for Diplomacy…not enough complexity, color or history to it for me.

Is this amenable to PbF. Maybe when we finish this one next decade we can try that one!

Very amenable.

This blows it out of the water, for sure. But the negotiation aspect was effective, and the simpler nature of the game meant there were a lot of players around.

Done these two. Just @CraigM left to act, I think.

Oh, naturally after the tax farmers are sent to the Virtus faction, the statesman from the Aemilius family will join the state.

In my personal categorisation, I see it as a reasonable game but an excellent experience. In that there’s a good diplomatic game in there but the gameplay in general can be a bit arbitrary, even punishing at times. But the enjoyment people get from playing it is out of all proportion to this because it’s so evocative of ancient Rome, so steeped in historical detail.

I assure you I’m enjoying myself too. It’s not a big hassle to run at all.

The experience of becoming Pontifex Maximus has been a good one for Aemilius, who has grown into a great statesman with a strong interest in Macedonia. He will henceforth be known as Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus. He is excellent in both military and oratory and provides an additional bonus when fighting wars against Macedonia.

Details

L Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus [19A]
Popularity 0, Influence 4, Military 5, Oratory 4, Loyalty 8
Nullifies Disaster and Standoff on Macedonian War cards.

That brings us to the end of the first turn, which seems like a good moment to reflect on how things are going.

From the perspective of the players, what’s going well and poorly on the moderation side? Is there any information I could be displaying more clearly? Would you like me to stop inventing silly stories to wrap up mechanics and leave the purple prose for the negotiations? Would you like me to get more images into the posts?

I was initially expecting this to be a 1-turn trial run to get everything working smoothly, then reset and start again. But I’m pretty sure most if not all of you have been playing as if we’re continuing. I’m very happy to do so, but I do want to make sure you were all on the same page, not deliberately making moves to test out the rules and using resources more quickly than you would have otherwise.

Hell no, dude.

I completely forgot about this! I would love to continue on as we’ve begun.

@rho21, I honestly couldn’t be happier with the game, the moderation, the information provided by you, the “silly” stories, heck…everything. I’m ready to see this Story of Rome continue to unfurl. :)

Yeah, I had no idea this was supposed to be a test drive. I say march on.

I agree, play on.

Yup, while there are a few things i wish i could take back, i wouldn’t have it any other way. Let’s keep going.

(peanut gallery)

Keep going!

I agree with all of the above.