Resident Evil 2 REmake (turning zombies into jam)

More details on the new mode/costumes:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/02/13/resident-evil-2-dlc-the-ghost-survivors-launches-february-15-on-ps4/

So it seems it’ll be like 4th Survivor mode, but you can find/choose some items instead of what you start with being all you get. Each scenario also has a twist for the enemies.

Speaking of extra modes…

Tofu mode is back, and it’s pretty awesome.

It’s a short horde mode that was in the original, but instead of being armed to the teeth, all you have is a bunch of knives. Admittedly, knives are very useful to escape from attacks now, but it’s still very hard.

The cherry on top is that there are now five “tofus”, each with a different loadout. You do have to beat the mode once with regular Tofu to unlock them. Each loadout requires a different approach: one of them has an awesome arsenal, but no herbs, another has nothing but grenades and another one has just a stupid pistol but lots of herbs, etc.

They’re all pretty damn hard, though…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22jUgx-l5N0

This is too funny not to bump the thread for. I’m sure at this point, everyone has seen the “X gon give it to ya” mod that changes the sound effects of the big creepy guy that follows you around to that song instead of his normal sound effects, and it’s very funny and cool?

Here it is if you missed it.

But, then someone went another step and replaced the sounds AND the model with…Thomas the Train!

It’s amazing.

He has as fedora on!

Thanks to lordkosc, I own this game now.

I started playing it last night. I haven’t caught up to where I got to in the demo, but I’m just amazed all over again how good this game feels.

First of all, there’s something they’ve done to character’s faces so they don’t have the same weird Capcom look to them anymore. They actually look like actual people now.

The camera work and lighting are just so good. That convenience store that you explore at the start of the game with your flashlight is just deliciously well done.

Are you playing on PC or console? Looks fantastic on Xbox One X.

I really need to get back to it - preordered and then only played for about an hour. But I am really looking forward to the RE3Make. Hope they follow that up with a Code Veremake!

I ended up getting it for PC (through Green Man Gaming). I paid about the same amount as the console version will be on Black Friday at Best Buy when you include tax.

I just figured in this case, I’ll have better access to the PC for gaming in the near future, so I’ll have a better chance at actually finishing it.

And yes, it looks fantastic. Just gorgeous. I believe I have the PC version set to the highest settings, and I’m getting a smooth 60fps in gameplay, and only slight slowdowns during cutscenes.

I have it on PC as well and I absolutely loved it. It seems to even have a fair amount of replayability, though I haven’t done a second run yet.

So RE3 is coming out in a few months:

Anyway, there’s a new trophy in RE2 because they patched-in something new:

It’s a nice touch.

Come on, hands up everyone who brute forced the locks of the two lockers. I know I did, I am not ashamed. Only 3 digits alphabetic code. It was like 6 letters per digit, A to F and K to P … Was it worth it? Found some shotgun shells.

I have no idea, what the codes meant ? The officers only had First name/last name, so only 2 initials …

ok, I found the codes for the locker afterwards ;) too late, already brute forced them, haha

I had an amazing 3-4 hours session with this game. I felt pretty good about it, had everyhing under control, had a good stock of resources like bullets and healing items. On my way looking for the second power panel part in the clock tower. Man, how this game threw a wrench in my way. Big time. I spent all bullets and healing items and I was desperate.
I thought, that’s it. I cannot continue the game without resources. I was on the edge all the way. Should I restart the game and play more conservative with resources? But I kept going, almost dead, life on a thread.

This game is amazing how it keeps your resources low and it becomes really a survival game. But I made it through the clock tower and even could leave the police station, but boy was it a ride.

Now I am with Ada and Leon and the game still keeps giving.

That’s cheating! I remember my brain hurting after that one.

this game is so good. The last time I had such a good time with Resident evil was back on the GC with RE4

Cool. It’s nice that you’re enjoyng it!

Well, they haven’t wasted any time, there’s already a Raccoon City Edition, which is just basically RE2 and RE3.

I do hope they’re making Resident Evil 4 in this engine too. It’s just so much smoother and has better controls compared to that game.

I like that the game allows cheating. There are so many games, where you have to enter a code, and forwhatever reason, they allow you only 3 times, then they throw you out, maybe give you some animation so to waste time. Here you actually are allowed to brute force 6 * 6 * 6 combinations.

They have this 3 times your out with the saves, where you get an fail animation. However, the safe has way too many combinations, so I did open the safe when I got the codes.

had to brute force another locker in the sewer section, man why do they do this to me? Found the code to this locker later in the game. A shotgun extension was in it, okay I take it.

Remember the part with the chessboard pieces? And the flamethrower. I had to go this hellish route twice, because I could not manage to get king and queen at the same time. Was the puzzle broken? When I went back, I had no troubles.

Man, I wasted my flamethrower already. I fear it is not reloadable.

I remember that part making you backtrack a lot. i still think the sewers are one of the worst levels even back in the original.

I like the sewers, they are very thematic and creepy, like Blighttown. But I will be glad leaving them behind. I hope the game has a great finale. The moment when Ada and Leon left the PD was a mid-finale. It built up to it perfectly. Not sure if the final finale will be as great. I don’t like boss finales where you waste all your bullets. That’s why the mid finale was great. It felt like the danger level was increasing and then the Tyrant came and then you unlocked all cell doors and then you had to flee through all zombies and dogs with almost no ammo.

So, I just got as a free game from a fellow forum member Resident Evil Revelations after I checked out some game play videos and it looked interesting and fun. But I’ve never played any RE games and know nothing of that universe. And my, there are a ton of games out there after looking on Steam! From my quick review, it even starts with “Resident Evil 0”, then 1, then all the way up to 7. It’s all rather confusing because most games are numbered, some aren’t, and many games are titled “Resident Evil X/Biohazard X”. And then apparently there are various HD remasters/remakes also out there.

So can someone explain the RE universe to me? What does the "Biohazard’ part of the title mean. Exactly how many games are there? Are there any stinkers in the bunch? Any that are “must plays”. Most of them seem to have pretty good, even outstanding reviews but is that because the people that play these games really like them - would someone like me whose totally ignorant of this universe enjoy them? The gameplay seems to be mainly wandering around, scrounging for weapons/supplies, trying to survive while gettiing from one point to another, with various story beats along the way. Can someone help me make sense of this universe - all I know is some RE movies that were mostly light enjoyable movie “fast food”.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me out here.