Return of the Obra Dinn deserves a thread, matey!

well nobody told me that there are giant ass spiders
I woke up today and thought it would make a great sea shanty movie
I found this, enjoy!

Screw friendship, if videos like this have taught me anything, it’s that editing is the real magic.

Thats a really great trailer! (spoilers though!!)

I just started this last night and I’m sort of confused about WTF is going on. In the first 20 min or so, maybe with the 3rd or 4th body you’re investigating, the compass appears and starts to shake and then… I couldn’t really tell what I was supposed to do. What was the shaking? I’m still not certain exactly how I move around between memories, etc. Or, once you have them unlocked in the book, do you rarely ever revisit them? Any suggestions, mechanics-wise, on how to proceed with playing the game? Is there a cadence to book/memories/etc that works well?

You can go back to any bodies and relive those moments to investigate them further. Indeed, you’ll be doing that a lot! Don’t worry, it’s all a bit odd and confusing at first but once you get into the rhythm of it, it’s incredibly compelling and satisfying.

So this thing with the shaking compass and then some like black trail I’m supposed to follow – is that a mechanic that continues to happen? I couldn’t figure out what I did that triggered it or what it means.

It just means you’ve found something investigate-able, probably a memory you can relive if I recall correctly.

Alright. I’ll keep it up. I was just confused and tired and wanted a bit more of a tutorial to tell me wtf was going on (game mechanics wise).

I would advise just following the story through as fast as possible the first time, so you have a rough clue wtf is going on and the key players. Then go back and try and identify everything later. Trying to do it the first time through is impossible because you haven’t met everyone until you are all the way through.

Until I followed the above advice I just found myself frustrated hunting for clues.

Otherwise fantastic game, very much enjoyed it.

Yeah don’t bother trying to “solve” each memory completely on the first pass, you just won’t have all the facts to do so. Each memory daisy chains from the previous one so just do what you can, make notes if it helps, and move on. You can hop freely between them as needed later.

If I remember correctly the trail leads you to another body within that same memory. That body will from then on be available anytime from the ship when not in a memory.

I took my time with it and tried to solve as much as I could as I went along! The game clues you in nicely when you’ve not got sufficient info to identify someone so you know when it’s time to move on. I just didn’t want to front load all the memories and events then spend the rest of the game poring over the details. I liked gating/slowly revealing the chapters as the clues started to dry up. The anticipation and build up that way really enhanced the experience for me.

Did you figure out how to progress, Clay? It’s been awhile, but I think I remember getting stuck on this same thing, just not knowing what the game was trying to tell me with the shaking, etc, and it turned out I needed to click or press some button to actually use a new power of the watch.

I did, after a few minutes. You click and then all turns dark, at which point it’s even more unclear what to do. I finally figured out that you have to hunt around until you find a “shadow” of another dead person (or something).

I give Obra Dinn 3 dithered krakens out of 5.

I love the concept, it’s brilliant. The pacing… not as much. It’s just as good/bad as a jigsaw puzzles: every piece you put in helps you solve everything else. You start with the first few obvious pieces, then you’re sort of lost for a long time, then you have a few breakthroughs, then you mash a few pieces together to see what fits, then the whole thing is over before you realize it. I mean, it sounds like it’s positive, but it’s not, not really.

The structure of the game is also confusing. I broke one of the game’s sequences, so I was forced to run around the ship for half an hour just to find the last flashback.

The game is nowhere near as hard as it looks, but I did do a little bit of brute forcing. It’s either that or run around the ship more times to find that one scene. On the other hand, if you have a choice between two Chinese dudes or two Russian dudes, the game probably expects you to brute-force it.

Just like everything else, the graphics are kind of brilliant but also not my cup of tea. I think it’s telling that what stumped me the most is that I couldn’t figure out what was happening in 2-3 scenes because of the graphics.

I’m also a bit underwhelmed about the final reveal. But anyway, I’ve never seen or played a game quite like this, so that’s a win in my book. I respect it, but I don’t love it.

I just replayed it over the last couple days, and I agree that (unless we both missed something), it goes from the early stages of solving a bunch of deaths to a long stretch with a lot of plot but very little to solve. That could have been smoothed out.

The pivotal moment that cracks things open really is when you get access to the memory with the numbered bunks.

I think the graphics are brilliant, though it would have been nice if he had figured out a better way to render explosions, etc.

Still love the thing!

If Return of the Obra Dinn was a jigsaw puzzle, foreigners getting eaten by sea monsters would be the borders and british seamen killing each other would be the sky.

There is some way to tell virtually every crewman apart. I did lightly brute force it, though, because some of those ways are super obscure.

This has been on my Xbox wishlist since seeing the game pop up in a bunch of GOTY posts some time back, and today I noticed it was 50% off so I grabbed my copy.

I went into the game totally blind and plan to avoid reading anything else in this thread till I’ve completed it. So far I’m about an hour in and following my compass around from spot to spot. I like the atmosphere and music of the game and look forward to figuring out the whole story.

Aaaaaah! What a treat you’re in for!