Rimbo World

It added up to 650% bleeding so died before she could get patched up. Sorry Malvinia. We’ll miss you! Fortunately another good doctor wandered into my settlement a few days later.

You know you’ve played too much Rimworld when in real life you see rain in the forecast and in the back of your mind you’re thinking “that’d be a good time to kill all the boomalopes”.

hahaha now you just changed how I’ll look at it too.

1.0 alluded to by Tynan:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/7qh746/next_patch_will_be_10_confirmed_by_tynan/dsplg7c/

I’ve been working with ison to heavily redesign the interface, systems and balance for caravans, since it was pretty broken and obscure.

/u/ZorbaTHut recently implemented a very nice watermill power generator and underwater power cables, so rivers are actually meaningfully playable.

He also made a huge optimization to mod loading; one major mod went from 90 seconds to 40 seconds loading time (!)

He made cooks refuel stoves before cooking if needed instead of waiting for haulers to do it.

We condensed the leather types to a far smaller grouping to mitigate the “10 of every leather type” problem. I also rebalanced the leathers so they’re actually meaningfully different in recognizable, coherent ways.

I redesigned the economy for trading animals with traders so traders accept and sell types and amounts of animals that make sense.

I redesigned and rebalanced some animals. Wild boar and pig specifically each have a balanced niche in comparison to the other (boar is a better fighter, pig is better at domestic productivity).

I reworked the doctor AI so they’ll prioritize tending people differently and not go to get food while someone’s bleeding to death.

I switched the blight to be bright orange so it’s easy to see.

2018 GOTY confirmed.

This made me smile. I keep thinking Medic! and my guys and gals just stop after a fight to have a sandwich with a guy bleeding at their feet.

Definitely agree with this, I mean assuming of course he sticks to his 5 year plan and releases 1.0 this year. In fact I’d go further than that, I’d call this my GOTY for at least the last 7 years, the last game I played and enjoyed this much from the second I installed it was Shogun 2.

That’s a longer stretch than usual, I typically find one game I think it’s a true masterpiece about once every 3 or 4 years, nice to find a game like rimworld to end a long dry spell. hahah

So, my first colony which I started by just playing the tutorial and then just playing on from there has come to a tragic end. We made it almost 7 years.

There are too many tales to tell, but here are a few of the highlights.

We had not one but two marriages. One ended in tragedy which I’ll get to shortly.

Built a compound that nearly took up the entire map.

Nearly finished up crafting everything needed for the space ship. Advanced components take a long time to make. Guess I’ll have to wait for the next colony and see if I can get off this rock.

I stayed in my own neck of the woods, no caravans, was too chicken I didn’t understand the risks like how much firepower you need and food. That also will await the next colony.

I’ll tell one story in just a bit more detail, how my little world of 80 hours of game play burned to the ground.

So in our final year of survival the colony experienced multiple raids of course but also not one but two sieges. The bastards corner camped the bottom right side of the map with mortars and so I was forced to come out of my safe little base and fight them more on their terms. First round went to the colonists, even captured one, but let her go when I couldn’t turn her.

Second siege they killed two of my best and captured one. So, down from 10 to 7, and those remaining were not my most valuable in terms of skills. But the really fun part is one of those killed was married to my cook who is also a pyro. You can probably see where this is going.

She visits his grave a couple times over the next day after his death, wanders aimlessly in grief and when she snaps out of that she starts setting fires, and I have someone trailing her putting them out, but she manages to do some pretty good damage to one of the freezers, takes out a good chunk of my food supply and then not unironically in her grief goes on an eating binge.

So, all of this passes, starting to settle back down, only she goes on another mental break the next day starting fires again. I’ve handled this a dozen times and mostly limited the damage, only this time she starts a fire on a mortar laying in the supply depot, blows herself up and the person following her around putting out the fires. This creates a fire that quickly spreads destroying the base as my entire colony succumbs trying to put it out.

A fitting end brought on by a widows grief.

7 years on your first run is fantastic. I don’t think my first one lasted 7 months.

Pure luck, had no idea what I was doing. I love the way it ended. This game is a full blown emergent story generator. Haven’t had this much fun dying in a game in years.

Yeah awesome job on your first run. I am pretty sure illness killed off my first colony, or a tough long winter and we starved…

I gave up on my first colony when I didn’t bother to check traits and one of these guys was a pyro. I couldn’t figure out why fires kept starting…

haha, I noticed but just rolled with it to see how far I could get, and i didn’t ditch her or the guy who had it as well because both had skills I really needed

in the end, we all paid the price, haha

And I wouldn’t looking back of done anything different, it was amusing in a crazy sort of way having a couple pyros around. Ok, I might change one thing, I’d figure out how zone restriction works and put chem fuel and mortars somewhere they weren’t allowed to go. ;)

these stores are pure awesome!!! So… how smart is the game’s algorithms?

Was it just happenstance that she set a mortar on fire? Or was it due to the fact that it was what caused her husband’s untimely demise combined with her inclination to star fires…

Yeah, it was just dumb ole bad luck, I pressed it for too long. Course I had chemfuel in that storage depot too, so it was pretty much a ticking time bomb with a couple pyros running around since I didn’t exclude them from that area.

The trigger that really set her off was hubbies death. That put her in a bad mental state, she had like a negative 20 or 30 mood hit for that (and in Rimworld that’s a lot of negative because she had other stuff making her unhappy already, and this mood ding for death of hubby lasts 12 years which is rough).

So basically hubbies death took someone who was occasionally annoying about setting stuff on fire, such that I could get another colonists to follow her about and put them out, to a nut-job who was setting fires so much that it turned into Russian roulette and she finaly set one that someone else couldn’t get to in time on something highly flammable that blew them both up and then took the whole place down in a fiery inferno.

This game is just brilliant.

In my current game I decided it was finally time to take out a pirate outpost. I’ve built up a team of power armored cyborgs and I have a couple of clusters of drop pods fueled up and ready to go. It was high time to go on the offensive.

The green valley dominion, a primitive tribe that I had suffered a recent decline in relations with (like it was my fault that their caravan was slaughtered right outside the walls of my base when it showed up as I was fighting off a mechanoid raid), was willing to pay me a decent sum to eliminate a nearby outpost of a notorious band of outlaws knows as the furious merchants. The reward was easily enough to cover the cost of the fuel and steel required to drop in. They would be my target.

I loaded up one set of five pods with four turrets, a battery, and steel making up the remainder of the load. This is the backup plan, to drop in after the troops arrive if it looks necessary.

I picked a half dozen of my colonists, which is about half my current population. One melee solider and five good shooters. Fortunately installing all those peg legs on captured raiders has paid off so a few of them have decent medical skills for the inevitable injuries. I also make sure I bring along a couple of animal trainers as from prior drops to mineral deposits and stashes I’ve learned the value of dropping in and training some local animals to help haul back the goods (which is how my colony got it’s elephant, but that’s another story).

I arm the shooters with charge rifles, but bring along a sniper rifle to switch one to if it looks useful. Encounter maps being smaller don’t lend themselves to sniper heavy tactics so I prefer the quick firing charge rifle. I load up my soldiers, along with food and medicine, into a another group of pods and launch.

Landing on the scene I’m in the northeast corner of the map. The outpost is a single medium sized building surrounded by some sandbag defenses. Just a single turret on the NW corner, which I can avoid. No mortars thank god. Outside initially I see just four guys lightly armed. A machine pistol, two of them with bolt action rifles, and one with grenades (a major worry when I’m on the defense, but now that I’m attacking they are a minor threat). Compared to the challenge of the rocket launcher armed members of the same outlaw band that have recently raided me for a moment my crew feels overdressed in their power armor. I consider dropping in the backup, but figure I can probably get through this without a death or disfigurement. The team moves in on the outpost.

I’ve been given a good position. There’s a large hill to the northeast of the enemy outpost between me and them. I projects out a bit to the east on it’s south side. I figure I can attract the enemy and set up an ambush around the corner of the hill. I leave the sniper rifle on the ground since this will be a close quarters battle.

I have two of my guys move into firing range, shoot once, and then retreat behind the hill. A handful of additional pirates emerge from the south side the building, still only lightly armed so no need to change the plan. My guys get into position to open fire on anyone coming around the corner, with my shielded melee soldier out in front to draw fire and intercept up the enemy as they approach. One by one as they come around the corner they are met with a volley of charge rifle fire. The guy with the machine pistol gets off one wild and ineffective bust before he goes down. Next a pirate with just a pistol comes charging around the corner and survives the first volley. Powell and his mace move in to finish him off so the shooters can concentrate on the grenadier that is coming next. He’s down before he can throw a single grenade. By this time the survival rifle armed enemies have moved to the southeast of the hill and start firing at long range. Thankfully they are not good shots, and are quickly demoralized and start to run as the rest of their compatriots fall victim to massed charge rifle file. They turn to run, but most don’t get far. Only one bolt action rifle armed enemy who wisely set up at range manages to get away, but not before he is wounded. Based on how much he is bleeding when he leaves the map he won’t last half a day. The Furious Merchants will receive no report of what happened here.

After the battle there’s just the one defense turret to deal with, but since it only covers only one corner of the outpost building it’s easy to sneak up and take out its power source without ever getting in its line of fire. My maceman did take some cracks and bruises from the enemy so once the outpost building is secure he gets medical attention. Near the base is a herd of several muffalo. I set my animal trainers on them, and have some of the rest of my men pick berries for the trainers to use. We also make sure to get the food and medicine we dropped in under a roof. My initial taming attempts fail and I contemplate sending over some pack animals in a drop pod as night falls.

My troops spend the night in the outpost barrack. In the morning we get to the work of disassembling the base. Unfortunately there are no supplies in the base. The morning’s round of animal training attempts fortunately provides one success. It will be enough to pack out everything I came in with, the enemy weapons that are worth taking and whatever food and medicine they had on their persons, plus some extra steel and components from tearing down their base. What’s left behind isn’t worth sending more animals in drop pods for or waiting around for more chances to tame the local herd.

Victory won, the team heads back to base. Now the real risk begins. It’s three days until the war party returns. Hopefully none of the local pirate bands will realize half the town’s defenders are away and pick this time to attack.

A shot from before the battle. Scouting the enemy position before I take position on the east side of the hill.

Well done, great description too. I’ve been far too chicken to contemplate a mission like this, but at some point down the road I’m sure I’ll give it a go.

You can treat injuries when you’re raiding? Do you have to bring a bed with you?

Sleeping spots count as beds on the ground (penalties for that, though) and raider settlements usually have beds you can steal once you scare them off.

Yeah, this works well. I’ve had to do it with some of my caravans as well