Rimbo World

In case it wasn’t clear, caves or hollowed out mountains are same thing for what I was referencing.

Yeah I get what you’re saying. The area they’re showing up now was half stone ground and maybe a quarter into the mountain. I read about this a few years ago, and I just thought they meant if you leave the mountain there it would do that, not if you flattered it and parked on it because the flatten part can take quite awhile.

It’s the roof type that determines the infest-ability of an area. Overhead mountain=infestation prone. You can dig out anything with just a thin rock roof safely. Digging out overhead mountain areas, but then filling them in with walls, will prevent infestations in that area.

I finished my first 1.0 game the other day. The one I was posting stories about earlier. The raids at the end were fun, but I was ridiculously over-prepared for what Cassandra would throw at me on medium (I’m tempted to play the last 15 days over again after bumping the level up). The toughest was on the very last day in the midst of a sapper raid, a siege landed. Though with six loaded mortars, and a orbital targeter in reserve, sieges were the raid type I feared least.

I had 15 people at the end. I had built for more but at some point people became harder to come by as more raids were by mechanoids rather than other factions. Tamara and Irgo, who I had worked so hard to get to share a room earlier, eventually broke up. I did manage to get one more successful marriage to happen. The lover of one of my colonists happened to come through with an allied caravan. There was some minor kidnapping, a brief loss of relations that was eventually smoothed over by the gift of many fine dusters, but eventually Guzeman’s lover Kesa joined the colony and they were married later that year.

I could go on for pages with battle stories, but rather than clog up the thread, just a couple of screenshots from my new favorite moment. This was during a huge sapper raid. There were three or four guys with rocket launchers. I hit one guy carrying a doomsday rocket launcher with an insanity lance as they approached. He got gunned down by his own guys before he could fire it. I also used my guys to harass the enemy as they approached getting what shots I could in before one of their targeted my guys and it time to get out of range or behind cover. As they got close to the walls I sent one of the harassers around back to where the guy I hit with the insantiy lance went down and grabbed his rocket launcher. Around the same time I had another of my guys with a previously salvaged doomsday rocket move out from cover north of the enemy to hit the enemy simultaneously.

You can see the rockets in flight in this shot.

(and as a bonus you can see of them getting spike trapped there as well)

And as they start to go boom

Unfortunately I didn’t get a shot of the maximum extent of the explosion.

Needless to say they broke and ran at this point.

Nice!

I have never used an insanity lance before. I have to do it as it sounds fun!

How many years does it take for you guys to reach the end game? I’m 1 yr in, basically no research, finding this tough (and super fun), so I’m curious how long till the end-game attacks start.

I don’t often finish, honestly. I just start a new one after awhile but I could finish if I pushed. As far as research… it one of the first production buildings I set-up.

Thanks, I did set it up early, but a mad turkey took it’s toll… I’m now up to 5 settlers, but there’s so much to do, and research seems important but there’s raids and heat waves and crops to cut and food to cook and dusters to make and statues to make and sand bags to lay and traps to place and, ok, you know better than me, there’s lots to do, I’m going in again, wish me luck!

I know the feeling. I feel like there’s never enough time in the day for the first 3-6 peeps. Then I start hitting 7-8, everything is going swimmingly and a big ass raid or some disaster strikes. Good thing i have some skills to handle it.

Seriously though I am usually using the hell out of my researchers to the point where they start complaining about not seeing the sun anymore!

I had played this for a few weeks about two years ago then stopped playing. After it won a few awards with the full release this year I decided to pick it back up again. After playing for a few hours I asked myself why I stopped playing. After playing this whole weekend I remembered why I stopped. This may be the only game that I enjoy so much I play way longer than I should. I played for many hours this weekend and I feel really bad and guilty for playing it so much. Also, since there is no story I don’t get a feeling of satisfaction after a session. Instead, I feel like there is too much left undone and I need to get back to it ASAP in order to tie up loose ends… finish that new bedroom for the guy we just convinced to join us… finish researching televisions so my pawns can recreate with a force… tell Mal to prioritize chopping down those trees so we can fuel the generator… the list goes on. This sounds so stupid, but I’m gonna say it anyway: this game is too good and I need to stop playing it.

No, actually, it makes perfect sense.

I saw a comment in the top games of 2018 about Rimworld where the person mentioned one of the reasons he picked it up was due to reading stories about the game here. As one of the contributors of those stories I almost replied to apologize for the damage to personal relationships and setbacks to life goals that those stories may have helped to cause.

This is a really poorly considered review. What the hell is this nonsense:

"Each character gets three traits, things like obsessive, lazy or misogynist. One of the modifiers is “gay” but “straight” isn’t—that’s just the default, which is painfully heteronormative and outdated for a game about the far flung future. Other aspects of queerness are included but in equally reductive ways, like a character’s backstory discussing that they’re transgender, proof of which being their “dressing up in their mother’s clothes as a child”. All of which leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. "

Why is PC Gamer politicizing a video game mechanic?
Ridiculous…

I appreciate a comment like that in a review. It lets me know that the reviewer is unprofessional and concerned about other things besides the game so I can discount the review entirely.

This is exactly right. The point is made clearer with the reviewer stating the game is still fun, indicating much of the score discounting is a result of bubbles with the games nomenclature.

Because they’re just referencing a hit piece from several years ago. I’m as SJW as they come, but that was a lame knock against the game considering they even have gay, whereas most games still don’t recognize anything except hetereo relationships.

I finally picked this game up last week. It has a really step learning curve thanks to the awful documentation.

How come the tutorial doesn’t explain about the manual work prioritization screen!? It’s like one of the most important things.

Luckily the wiki is pretty helpful so after several false starts I finally got a colony up, recruited a tribesman and then took in a refugee. I just reseached and built a couple of gun turrets. I thought I’d try them out with having my best hunter go after Rhino, which lead to the whole pack of 3 going after the hunters (yes I know I was warned) and the turrets didn’t save him. Oh well that’s why you can reload.

So question one of the message I got was about a space ship located in the tundra and if I got there I’d be able to get off the planet. Is that the normal victory condition or do I really have to build one?

That is one way to do it. I’ve always built mine. I’ve never gone to find the downed one so I don’t know how complete that ship is.

I believe either are victory conditions, but trekking halfway across the world does seem the more difficult of the two.

I am tempted to pull up my last save before takeoff to try the caravan victory. I did have a few hundred survival meals stockpiled.

During the beta I played a game where I set the colony limit to 2 and started to leapfrog across the map using drop pods to move people and resources from one colony to the next. I didn’t very far before an update tempted me to start over.