RIP Avicii

The gf is pretty sad about this today. Crazy to me that something like a simple infection can still take out someone so young.

28? Just missed being a permanent member of the 27 club.

I thought I didn’t know Avicii or his music, but it turns out he’s the soundtrack to like half of the commercials and interstitials and sports montages on television.

I’d never heard of him until today so I was surprised to see he has BILLIONS of streams on Spotify. This might lead one to think I’m out of touch but obviously that’s not possible so it’s a real mystery.

Sounds like he had excessive health problems in recent years due to heavy drinking. Got to the point where he had to retire from performing live. Not sure if drugs were a factor but an educated guess would suggest YUP.

Meanwhile Skrillex’s grief-tweet is nice affirmation of my overall opinion of him and his music:

The remix I did of Levels hasn’t left my set since I mad it back in 2011. All though we weren’t “close friends” I feel this deep sadness through the connection we had through this song. Tim was a truly a genius and an innovator, yet sensitive and humble. This industry can be rough and from a far I saw it take a tole on him. I just wish I could have hugged him more and told him it would be okay .You’re music will forever be apart of mine and so many other lives. Maybe that’s the closest thing we have to immortality. I really hope you’re essence , wherever it may be in the universe is now at piece. And if in some miracle you can see this , I hope you know that as long as human beings are alive on this planet , you will forever remain
an inspiration. Thank you Tim.
RIP

*Sorry if I’m being too much of a sarcastic twat in an RIP thread. Dying young is nothing to joke about which is why I have to do it.

Well shit I just read this article which indicated he retired!

Thus, I was very relieved by his announcement on March 29 that he’s ­retiring from touring. Not only was it a brave decision — to walk away from the light, in both figurative and literal senses — but it also shows how much he has grown up. He has decided to focus on ­producing: That’s where he started, and it’s what makes him happy.

:(

I’ll never forgive him for that bluegrass album.

I’m only familiar with him because of “Wake Me Up”. It was infectious as hell.

I fell in love with this version of Feeling Good back a few years ago and that’s how I know his name.

Also, he talked Mike Posner into taking a pill. There is an entire song about it. And it’s a great song. This guy influenced a lot of the music I like to listen to at work, and it’s a grave error that he’s gone so young.

I dunno man, no way in hell you’re gonna beat Nina Simone at her own game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Y11hwjMNs

I don’t know how to tell you this, but I prefer the one I linked. Oh, that was easier to do than I thought it would be! :)

Yeah, that cover kinda sucked. But only because the original is just unbelievably off the charts legendarily great. Now in many other musical cases I’d agree with you – a cover can be as good or (in rare cases) better than the original.

Not true here though with that kind of godlike source material.

Just to clarify, I shared that piece to celebrate the life of someone that has just passed away. I’m not really interested in debating which version of the song is better, and even if I was up for that this would be the wrong place to do it.

Duly noted, and recorded in my logbook for posterity.

Seems his family has announced it was a suicide without actually announcing it was a suicide.