RIP Diane Feinstein

Gonna be a fight over her seat.

I don’t know, I’ve heard that the reading of the will includes an announcement that there’s still work left to be done and she’s running again in 2024.

I guess Newsom will have to pick a winner now.

Newsom will appoint someone, so it’s just a fight among Democrats, not a contest between Dems and Republicans.

Which will be won by a Democrat, so as a non-California resident my interest is completely popcorn related.

But probably no more judicial confirmations before January 2025. Sigh.

Is the Republicans refusing to add a democrat to the judiciary commitee in this situation just a giant fuck you that completely ignores the unwritten rules of how the senate operates, or have I misunderstood?

If Newsom picks a current member of the House as the replacement does he also have the power to replace that person?

I know Schiff and Porter are both possibilities but with numbers in the House so tight it seems risky to pick them if they can’t also be replaced.

You have understood the message perfectly.

It seems crass in the face of someone dying but yeah, this is what actually has me sad this morning.

I didn’t even know she was sick!

Do you think they’ll run her for another term?

Been a handful of hours at most since the announcement and it’s already Joke Cracking time.

Time to stay out of P&R for the weekend at least

Oh come now, some gallows humor is certainty called for in this case.

The gallows humor is out of pure frustration that someone, clearly with the health issues she had, was meant to keep working as a senator.

Obviously nobody is happy she is dead. That sucks. I am sure her family would have been happier with her retired, able to spend more time with them.

But the ludicrous messaging from her staff about her health and ability to remain working as a senator up until the end is near comical.

I mean sure, people dying is sad. But she lived to be 90 years old. That’s quite a journey for anyone. She’ll leave a lasting legacy and in a few years (maybe even a few months) nobody will remember the fact that she held on to her job a little too long. She did a lot of good.

Assuming some other Democrat replaces her and everything goes smoothly, sure.

Nailed it. I’m so angry.

Someone in the other P&R thread mentioned “Weekend at Bernies” and that is what it felt like, with her showing up to meetings clearly unsure of where she was, her team around her making all of the decisions for her. It felt really gross. Honestly, I think McConnell is in the same boat.

This. So very much this.

It’s unfortunate that for many voters, this is the legacy of Sen Diane Feinstein that will stick in their minds, not the fact that she contributed decades of good public service work.