RIP Doris Day

What can one say? RIP.

RIP.

I just saw a couple of her movies on TCM recently, probably around her birthday…Pillow Talk, I think, and The Thrill of It All. I can’t say she was a stellar actor, but she was certainly a winning personality.

Yeah, she never struck me as that great of an actress, and I didn’t care for most of the films she was in, but every time I saw her on Carson back in the day, she seemed like a very nice lady. Lots of real class.

RIP, Doris.

EDIT: I did enjoy her in the Alfred Hitchcock classic, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), with Jimmy Stewart.

As did I Giles, she was beautiful in that and it was a movie that was great during my childhood. Rip, Doris Day.

Down with Love is the movie I most associate with Doris Day, and she’s not even in it. It made me appreciate her in a way I never had before.

-xtien

“I sure should go for a Tang.”

I appreciated her work on behalf of animal welfare as much or more than her acting career. I’m with Giles and Kristi on “The Man Who Knew Too Much.” Loved that movie. She was always very honest about her “girl next door” image being manufactured. In real life, she had multiple affairs and husbands. As Oscar Levant put it, “I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin.”

I recall my mother making me watch “A man who knew too much” – probably just to cook dinner or whatevs. I won’t say what year.

As a woman I fell in love with Doris Day that evening. She was so lovely …she was smart. She was stronger than most of her cast. sigh, the bell tolls for all of us.