RIP Good Old Games (gog.com)

Two European guys dressed up as monks are describing the features of the new GOG website.

Lol.

The entire marketing staff of GOG should gather in one large circle, with everybody wearing one of those “<-- I’m with stupid” shirts.

rezaf

They haven’t really played with your money, because they aren’t really going away, or changing their terms of service, or any of those other things that everyone has been speculating about. At worst, they made people think that they might lose access to their games. Which was, admittedly, a really bad idea. But I think they get that now, and everything is coming back when the new website goes live, so… no harm, no foul?

I don’t care about anything except whether or not they’ll be getting Warlords III: Darklords rising any time soon.

I can understand that they’re really proud of their relaunch, but it, IMO, was a dumb move nevertheless.

They better have a live performance by a black metal band to end the conference. It’s the only way to do it.

I hope they do go out of business. It sets a really bad example if they don’t.

I am pretty tolerant of mistakes and technical glitches, but you when prevent me from getting stuff that I paid for as part of a marketing stunt, you deserve to fail.

I work with eastern Europeans a lot in my job. They’ve definitely got a sense of humour, it just always comes across as being a bit crueller than the British equivalent (though that’s probably because wordplay/irony tends to get lost in translation, I guess.)

I can’t believe Tom Ohle didn’t say anything. I mean, really, WTF!?

A typical Internet tempest in a teapot but, yay, Baldur’s Gate.

I’ve never bought anything from GOG. No reason, just never have.

After hearing about this stunt, now I have a good reason not to buy anything from GOG.

This is like the time when I was 14 and crashed my Dad’s jeep into the garage. He was pissed off and disappointed in me, but he still loved me anyway. That’s kinda how I’m feeling about gog.com right now.

They aren’t preventing you from getting your stuff as part of a marketing stunt. They explained that they needed to take the service offline to move over to the new website. They just decided to take advantage of the outage–which needed to happen anyway–for PR purposes.

Now, I 100% agree that this was a dumb idea. They clearly should have announced what they were doing in advance, and informed people when the site was going to be offline. But come on–“I think they should go out of business”? It was a ill-considered stunt that has exactly zero long term effect on you or your money or your GoG game library. Are people really not willing to cut GoG even the tiniest bit of slack, given all the good stuff they’ve done, and will likely continue to do? I think that’s crazy.

Oh absolutely Ben, no harm no foul, I’m very pleased to see the service is going to continue. I was personally miffed on account of the two MoO games I purchased on Friday, figured I would download them when home, and then the site was down when I got to my house. Real punch in the gut after all the good things said about them here.

K, I finally got in. This is so weird.

I think everyone has a different amount of slack they are willing to give a company over mistakes made.

In my case, I certainly won’t be jumping on every GoG deal in the future. Previously, if a game was available on GoG as well as Steam, Impulse, or D2D, the sale would’ve gone to GoG every time. In the future, I don’t think that decision will be as automatic. For example, I’m buying AoWSM from Impulse this time around.

Is it really though? This, at it’s base, is a company disrespecting it’s customers in a pretty major way.

But thanks for proving my point about gamers … “WTF?! I can’t believ … what, Baldur’s Gate? Sign me up!”

Now that this has been shown as a stunt, I have a feeling a lot of folks will hold a grudge.

Have they said when their new site will be open?