RIP Mojo Nixon

Rest in peace, Mr. Nixon.

https://wapo.st/48dKuqp

(Gift link, not sure why it’s not rendering)

You will be missed.

RIP. [Please move to the proper forum}.

I’ve been waiting for his documentary to stream for free. But in the meantime, here’s a personal favorite.

Thanks – moved.

We went to a shopping mall
And laughed at all the shoppers
And security guards trailed us to a record shop
We asked for Mojo Nixon
They said, “He don’t work here”
We said, If you don’t got Mojo Nixon
then your store could use some fixin’

That’s too bad. I was never that big a fan, but I had a friend back in the 80s and 90s who fuckin loved Mojo Nixon, so I got to listen to a lot of his stuff and came to appreciate his silliness.

About 15 years ago, I did get to see Mojo here in SF. It was a benefit for someone I don’t remember and I was mostly there to see John Doe and Mark Eitzel, but Mojo played and he and Jello Biafra did some songs together and it was pretty excellent.

Not his best work, pretty god damn funny. Discussing “Me so horny” with Pat B is something from another time :)

Not to desparage them, but I always thought that was a pretty poor take on the original.

Man, what a bummer. I still have in my closet the shirt I bought at a Mojo Nixon show, in Athens, GA, autographed by the man himself. Can’t really wear it because if I wash it the signature will probably disappear.

Great show, too, with El Vez showing up and the highlight probably being Nixon screwing an inflatable sheep on stage, and spraying a shook-up can of Bud on the audience at the, um, peak you might say.

Somewhere, Don Henley is having a last laugh.

Fortunately, Don Henley thought that song was funny, and even sang it with Mojo at a concert somewhere.

If you are remembering Mojo for something other than his 80s stuff, that’s fine. But his 80s stuff he did with Skid Roper was STILL the best.

“I Hate Banks”