RIP Stephen Sondheim

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/stephen-sondheim-central-figure-in-american-musical-theater-dies-at-91/2021/11/26/939fea1c-4f06-11ec-b0b0-766bbbe79347_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

There’s a place for us.

If I can dig it up, I will try to find the pages of a Starman comic book where some thugs get into a deadly fight over their favorite Sondheim plays or musicals.

I think Into The Woods was my favorite, plus West Side Story.

There would be occasional articles about how young up and comers would be trying to get their plays as polished as possible. Lin-Manuel Miranda comes to mind as someone who ran Hamilton by Sondheim for advice and encouragement. It was nice to see this lion of Broadway help out the little cubs. RIP.

I think he did Wicked as well.

I know little to nothing about Music or Musicals, but every time you see something, Sondheim gets referenced. I guess I had assumed he had lived during a different age, which is probably true. He just also lived in this age.

RIP.

It’s kinda crazy. He wrote the lyrics to West Side Story. West. Side. Story!

Extra shocking after just watching Tick Tick Boom last night, in which he has a small part (encouraging the up-and-comers, as @Djscman describes), portrayed by Bradley Whitford.

I really enjoyed Bob Mondello’s look back at his work on my drive home today.

Wow. RIP.

RIP. Seeing Sweeny Todd on Broadway at a tender age changed my mind about what musicals could be.

“Sunday In the Park with George” is my fave Sondheim joint but this is my favorite clip of one of his songs (sung by Dean “Herbie the Lovebug” Jones):

https://youtu.be/am8qrrZAtP4

I know very little about the man given my tastes in musica. However I learned today he had a mathematical mind (not surprising) and this quote from a letter to his friend (I’m sure he didn’t discover this but he passed this along to the rest of us not in the know).

“Britney Spears is an anagram of Presbyterians. And coronavirus is an anagram of carnivorous.“

Part 1 of 3