Rise of the Tomb Raider

I have a 360, and I won’t buy it for that either. My PC is so much more powerful than the nine-year-old technology of the 360 that it’s just dumb to play AAA games on it (especially one that looks as good as TR!). And yes, I can play PC games on my couch, using my controller (and in 3D if I want!).

If TR2 doesn’t come out on PC, I just won’t play it. I’m sure I can find something else to play.

Also, Planets of Apes Rise. Tomb Raiders descend.

It’s gotta be just a timed exclusive. I don’t buy that MS would write that big of check to permanently keep it off of Playstation, especially with it outselling the Xbox.

Sounds like MS suddenly realized they have a light 2015 planned.

Yeah if being scummy cunt means being pretty fucking genius, then yeah they are pretty fucking genius. Artifically restricting legendary multiplatform franchise with fans all over to single platform is exactly the cunty thing I would expect MS to do.
Still, this is for sure just a timed exclusive, no matter how much they try to obfuscate the issue. And with the bad PR this generates, MS will only lose out on it.

Also, stop fucking using words Witcher and Exclusive in the same sentence. CD Projekt are the opposite of MS, they are never going to do that.

Classy. Look, nobody twisted Square Enix’s arm here. They looked at the proposition and decided it was in their best interests. Every company and I do mean every company does this every day. If there was a percentage in it, you bet your sweet ass CD Projekt would do it too. Lionizing or condemning a company for doing what companies do is bizarrely naive.

I don’t get being angry about it. Disappointed? Sure, but business is business. PS4 has the next Uncharted coming if you’re looking for tomb raiding adventure with third-person shooting. On PC, just wait (I highly doubt it will never come to PC) or play a million other games in glorious 1080p at >60fps.

I’m angry that I won’t be able to play Rise of the Tomb Raider any time soon without buying a console I don’t otherwise want to buy, or playing a last-gen version on the 360. I think I’m allowed to be. It’s a disappointment sort of anger.

I get why MS did it, and I get why Square/Crystal Dynamics did it. I wasn’t betrayed in a real way. I assumed non-exclusive games of last-gen would remain non-exclusive, but there’s always a risk of this; buying a PS4 was not an implicit contract with the developers of games I like. I’m not actually going to boycott Temple of Osiris (assuming it’s good), and years down the line, I will probably end up with an XB1.

I think there’s still room for some aimless, slightly irrational “The world is not as I wish it!” anger though. Maybe that’s the same thing you mean when you say disappointment, just filtered through my personality.

I just really dislike Pay to Cancel as a business strategy.

Maybe I’m alone in feeling this way, but this move actually makes me even less likely to ever buy an Xbox One, because it just reminds me how much I dislike Microsoft’s practices and missteps earlier in this console generation and in connection with the initial release of Windows 8.

I have no issues with exclusives developed by Microsoft (or Sony) for their consoles either internally, or through associated/funded developers, and respect them for exclusives like the Gears of War/Halo series (or, on the Sony, the Naughty Dog and Media Molecule games). But buying games already in development from multi-platform developers to coerce gamers into buying your platform to get the experience they were previously anticipating (except now at a lower resolution, and lower framerate, because of they designed an underpowered system), is repellent.

This effectively kills off any chance I’ll ever buy an XboxOne.

Sony did pretty much the same thing (ensuring you had to buy a Playstation to play TR on consoles) 17 years ago (minus the taking it away from PC’s, but, like DR3, I’m sure it will appear there in time):

FOSTER CITY, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Sept. 18, 1997–Sony Computer Entertainment America announced today that the Tomb Raider™ franchise, featuring leading character Lara Croft, will be exclusive to the PlayStation™ for game consoles.

Released in November 1996, the original Tomb Raider game from Eidos Interactive and Core Design, was one of the best-selling videogames of all time with more than 1.5 million units sold for the PlayStation game console worldwide. Marking its one-year anniversary with a highly-anticipated sequel, Tomb Raider 2 is scheduled for release in November 1997.

“Core Design and EIDOS have created the most successful original product in years that became a number one hit on PlayStation in the U.S. and Europe last year,” said Phil Harrison, vice president, third party relations, Sony Computer Entertainment America. “The PlayStation console is the undisputed world-leader in videogaming and it is appropriate that two leaders in their field should partner up in this way for Tomb Raider.”

“Given the worldwide domination of the PlayStation system, it’s a natural for Eidos to partner with Sony Computer Entertainment America and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe,” said Mike McGarvey, chief operating officer, Eidos Interactive. “We want our best-selling franchise to reach the greatest number of consumers and the PlayStation and its powerful CD-ROM software format satisfies this demand. The fact that the PlayStation will be the only game console on which you can enjoy the Tomb Raider franchise is a great statement for the platform.”

Eidos Interactive develops and publishes interactive entertainment products for the PC, Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Macintosh and Internet. Eidos Interactive is part of Eidos plc (Nasdaq:EIDSY), which includes Eidos Technologies, a software-based video compression and decompression company, Glassworks, a state-of-the-art post-production facility specializing in digital effects and video editing for the television and advertising industries, and an independent record label called Naked Records.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. distributes and markets the PlayStation game console for North America, develops and publishes software for the PlayStation game console, and manages the U.S. third party licensing program. Based in Foster City, Calif., Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Not sure why this would make you dislike MS’s practices in particular. It’s what console makers do. shrug

As for framerate, if anything, it means the engine will be perfectly tweaked and focused on the XBox One. It will look as good as it can on it (hopefully).

I understand it being disappointing if you have the other console and were looking forward to playing it. But saying it makes you less likely to buy MS’s console is just a… strange reaction to me personally. It would either make me no more likely to buy the console because I don’t want the game, or more likely if I wanted to play it.

Wendelius

Eidos dropping support for a dying and difficult to develop for Saturn at a time when the PS1 was a runaway success while maintaining support for a day and date PC version is hardly the same thing as MS paying SE not to release a game on the much more successful, and easier to develop for platform.

Then the more valid question here is not why Microsoft would propose such a deal, that’s pretty obvious, but rather why Square Enix would accept it.

Uh, the answer is obvious if you think about it for two seconds: KINECT CONTROLS.

So mad, so so so so so mad … I will just post this and be done…

What is that from?

So I realize I’m pretty confused about the future of the Tomb Raider series. Rise of the Tomb Raider is the next real Tomb Raider game, right? What’s this Temple of Osiris thing? A follow-up to the top-down two-player co-op game? Or do I have it backwards?

-Tom

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is the sequel to Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (the top-down game).

Perhaps i’m misremembering but i though that Tomb Raider was actually something of a flub that against typical sales curves continued to sell well after the “normal” period and eventually passed profitability later on… wait, here is one.

This actually makes sense financially. If they only barely passed profitability last generation what chance do they have now with such a smaller next-gen user base, unless they simulport to every last and current gen system? They probably got enough of a cash bonus to make sure they’d be in the black this time almost regardless of the sales figures.

The only reason sales for the prior installment didn’t meet expectations initially is because they expected batshit things. They obviously have serious management issues somewhere, and just managed to piss off a huge amount of potential customers for short term gain.

I’m just completely baffled.

I forget where I originally saw that .gif , sorry Tom.

So anyway how crazy will it be if they can’t get the game to run at 1080p, and its exclusively on the BONE? I am pretty sure not a single decision that was made during this entire exclusivity deal , was in the interest of the players of the franchise.

It’s not “high expectations”, it’s “in the black”. The game didn’t break even until the end of the year. It has nothing to expectations, unless you’re implicitly supporting them scaling back on the size and scope of the game/graphics/team on the next iteration.