Road House (2024) - Jake Gyllenhaal is going to be nice

Directed by Doug Liman who has some thoughts about Amazon.

Huh. I like Jake Gyllenhaal, and I like Edge of Tomorrow, but my number one impression of the original movie was “I don’t understand why this exists, it just kind of has scenes and then eventually there’s a showdown, it’s not like… a story.” So I feel like there would be some seriously heavy lifting to do to remake it into an actually worthwhile watch.

Yeah, but the original has one of the best quotes.

Pain Dont Hurt Patrick Swayze GIF - Pain Dont Hurt Patrick Swayze Pain Doesnt Hurt GIFs

Okay, not the old movie at all. More of an Liam Neeson type movie.

This is exactly the point of every macho man 1980s movie, and it should remain that way. I just want Ben Gazzara wanting to take over the Double Deuce…because something or other. I want a Big Foot truck at some point. Sam Elliott? Sure, why not. Gratuitous boobies? Damn straight. A blind guitar player? Sure, if he’s around. Plot? GTFO with that.

The original movie exists so that Swayze can rip a man’s throat out with his bare hands.

I’m a fan of both Liman and Gyllenhaal, but that trailer makes this movie look like a UFC marketing campaign. No thanks.

I kept squinting at that bearded guy in the trailer thinking they really nailed the Conor McGregor UFC asshole vibe, but it’s actually him.

They’re out in the middle of bum-fuck Fly Over State, and there’s probably nothing to do but either go the power drinker route or get rich and strong arm/take over local businesses. Like you can’t really blame Ben for that!

The original’s complete lack of trying to have any sort of meaningful plot is one of it’s charms for me as well.

I was wondering if maybe they were filming this in Key Largo at the same place where they filmed Drop Zone’s skydiver bar stuff, but this was filmed in the Dominican Republic apparently.

I’ll probably watch this, as I’m a sucker for the original, but man. This does not look good. Conor can’t act well enough to even pull together a trailer where he sounds good. Yowza.

Conor is also a total dickhead.

Road House is a perfect late 80s movie. It cannot be improved.

This looks truly dreadful. I have no value to add to this thread other than to say that.

This looks delightfully dreadful lol.

It’s Road House. I’m not going into this expecting anything more than a lot of fighting and pseudo-martial arts BS with cartoon villains. The only thing I ask more than the original is that I expect Doug Limon to add some directorial flair. As fun as the original is, that movie has no sense of visual style. No insult to Rowdy Harrington, but he was a very workmanlike director.

Dear Hollywood: please stop remaking cheese from my youth. Come up with new cheese for this generation. If you’re out of ideas, use ChatGPT, or something. Kthxbye

Co-signed.

Just when I thought I was out…

My main, main issue with this isn’t anything to do with remaking a beloved classic. It’s Conor McGregor. He’s an awful, awful person, who has been convicted and suspected of some awful things. This only fuels him. And I hate that.

This definitely looks terrible. Can’t wait!