Robert Downey Jr is a superhero

Agreed. Cage may have the physique, but his irritating hangdog expression does NOT fit the character.

It’s too bad Hasselhoff isn’t 15 years younger or he could play Cage.

He has, of course, already played Nick Fury.

Clearly, this must be a picture of an early Ironman suit. But I won’t lie, I’m pretty excited about the whole thing. Not sure about Shaun Toub playing Mandarin though.

That is decent looking, it does have the Jeep parts look.

Looks promising.

Just think how great he’d be if he could kick the chemical dependencies.

Looks like it was pulled from the animated “Iron Man” that went straight to DVD recently. What storyline are they doing?

I have all kinds of warm and fuzzy feelings about this movie right now.

That may change as we see more though.

According to IMDB, this is what the director has on his resume:

“In Case of Emergency” (1 episode, 2007)

- Pilot (2007) TV Episode

Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005)

… aka Zathura (International: English title: short title) (USA: promotional title)

Elf (2003)

Life on Parole (2003) (TV)

“Undeclared” (2001) TV Series (unknown episodes)

Made (2001)

Smog (1999) (TV)

I haven’t seen any of that.

Also, as I understand it, the “Ultimate Iron Man” series was written by Orson Scott Card, and he wrote it like every other Orson Scott Card work ever (read: slightly supernatural paragon genius child), so you can throw that origin right out the window.

I love Jon Favreau… as an actor. The only movie I’ve seen that he’s directed was Made - lately he’s made a career out of doing family films, but both generally well reviewed, so… I don’t know. I’m optimistic.

Edit - post deleted

Edit - post deleted

Favreau has some directing skills. And I think they definitely made the right choice with Downey Jr. I also think that implies that this won’t be a cheesy family movie, since Downey provides a mature edge the character may not have had otherwise.

Have they said they’re using the Ultimate Iron Man origin? The origin Ellis retold in regular continuity in the latest Iron Man relaunch with the Extremis arc would be just fine. I don’t know how much of a retcon that was compared to whatever his previous origin was because it was my first real exposure, but it seems like it’d be great for a movie and doesn’t involve any crazy “My whole body is brain tissue” Ultimate stuff.

that pic looks promising. A lot more promising than I expected - it looks like a lot like the original suit, cooled up with flamethrowers, etc.

Fucking get some BALLS, man.

Downey is My King. After Scanner Darkly, my high opinion of him is PERMANENTLY confirmed. I cannot fucking WAIT for this shit.

Now if only they weren’t fucking up the Flash so horribly badly. Still, actually, I know nothing other than that Goyer is off it, so there is still ever so slim a sliver of hope.

I’m actually right in the middle of watching my DVDs of the early-90s TV show. (These were bought on the same impulse that made me get the Brisco County DVDs.) It’s not nearly as good as I remembered, but it’s becoming better than the earlier episodes led me to believe. Worst moment so far: The Flash defeating a gang of drug-dealing San Francisco hippies by grabbing an electric guitar and rocking them at super speed. In the same episode, Barry Allen plays ‘Dad’ to a couple of smart-mouthed orphans from the street. Yeesh.

It could only get better from there. Similarly, I hope the movie doesn’t end up a wasted opportunity and fall into the big pile of forgettable superhero flicks.

I agree. My point was that I don’t think the Ultimate stuff (at least the Orson Scott Card stuff) even rates listing as a possible origin. The Elils origin would work fine. Though I don’t want Extremis anywhere near this movie.

I was hoping for Timothy Olyphant. He can pull off the 'stache.

I like Extremis ok in the comics, but yeah, it’s way too “magic science” for a movie. The more grounded this is, the better.