Rogue Squadron -Patty Jenkins moves from 1984 to my dreams in 1996

Rumors (so obviously grain of salt and all that) are this exactly. Not so much a scheduling conflict, but a “creative differences” issue. These same rumors say Disney/Lucasfilm has already decided on a replacement Star Wars movie for this slot.

Yep, this feels like another Star Wars project in Development Hell. It joins Gareth Edwards’ trilogy (or is that Rian Johnson?) that everyone says is still happening.

There was some amount of gnashing of teeth when Paramount said that the near-to-mid-term future of Star Trek was on TV, but if you look at what’s going on with Star Wars, that’s basically what’s happening.

Look at what’s already in production for Disney+:

• Book of Boba Fett
  • Andor
  • Ahsoka
  • Obi-Wan
  • Mandalorian season 3
  • The Bad Batch

Plus several other shows rumored, like Lando.

Keep mind mind that Paramount hasn’t broken $1 billion in annual revenue yet. They’re strictly mid-tier in Hollywood. Trek is probably their most valuable long-term property, but they couldn’t afford to keep it on film even if the pandemic hadn’t screwed theaters up. Moving it to their own digital service was their only option.

Disney certainly likes people paying for Disney+ but they desperately want to get back into normal theater mode and start pulling $1 billion+ per movie.

My guess is that someone at Disney sat down to watch Wonder Woman 1984 and realized they’d made a terrible mistake.

-Tom

Certainly, but are there any Star Wars movies in actual production right now? Contrast that with Marvel, which has enough to release at least three movies a year for the next 5 years or so.

I think scheduling conflict is at least a possibility, given the pandemic. Other commitments surely got delayed and/or took longer than expected.

This forum needs a like button.

i can not imagine ever going to a movie directed by Patty Jenkins after WW84

Come now, it wasn’t that bad.

I mean it wasn’t good, cohesive, and had more than its share of WTF, but it wasn’t Uwe Boll or post Transformers 1 Michael Bay bad.

Ok maybe it was post Transformers 1 Michael Bay bad.

She also directed the first WW, though. It’s like refusing to watch LOTR if you watched the Hobbit, first.

The first WW was only okay, it was certainly no LOTR.

Sure. I’m just pointing out that unlike Paramount, Disney has the capital to spend on making and promoting blockbuster movies that they expect will make them multi-billions a year. Paramount would kill just to have one movie make a billion in box office.

Having worked on 1984 I can confirm having her direct kinetic action vehicle sequences would be a very bad move. The nice cameras she did have were served up by her stunts team, and the ones that weren’t ready on a plate languished for months in indecision. None of it mattered, we got paid and no movie’s worth hinges on a few action shots, but an entire movie full of space dogfights? No thank you.

Honestly, my first thought was that this, in part, is a bit of a The Book of Henry situation where a movie contributed to apparently Disney getting cold feet about a project.

And yeah, Jenkins had also directed WW, but she had a lot more creative involvement in and control over WW 1984, which she also co-wrote.

It’s certainly not down to 1984 alone, and I’d guess there was a bit of behind-the-scenes drama that made Disney think she’s not a good match.

Why not? Just wait for reviews, one stinker doesn’t mean she should be tossed in the bin. I know this is the internet and hyperbole is king, but give her a break. Now if she’s responsible for multiple stinkers, time to flush.

Of course I was Disney, spending a ton of money in advance on the most valuable IP in the world, I wouldn’t give her a chance either.

Well let’s agree to disagree then, that was probably the worst movie I’ve seen in 30 years in a theatre. I will 100% be skipping any future output from her.

You’ve had a really good run, then. It wasn’t a great movie, but certainly no where near the bottom of the list for me over the last 30 years. Hell, it ain’t even my “worst DC movie I’ve seen” pick, much less overall.

Worst DC movie… that’s a tough call. WW84 was certainly awful but they had some real losers in that mix.

Worst DC … I would nominate Aquaman and Batman & Robin, since those are two DC movies so mediocre I couldn’t finish them despite multiple attempts. At least the ones that are “worse” than that you can watch and make fun of. But these are just boring, which is the worst thing a movie can be, IMO.

I think I’d have to give the award for worst one to Halle Berry’s Catwoman.

Although, it wasn’t boring.