Rogue Trooper: Blue Man Group

It’s tough to be a shooter these days.

It’s an odd choice for a game license, until you consider that U.K.-based developer Rebellion has worked on a game based on the Judge Dredd series, also published by British comic magazine 2000 AD.

Rebellion owns 2000AD.

Ah, well, that explains that pretty well. :)

Why on earth would a game developer buy an old comics publisher? Is 2000AD still publishing stuff? Or did Rebellion just want to the Judge Dredd license and figure that was the cheapest way to get it?

-Tom

2000AD is one of the very, very few regular UK comic anthologies left, so it’s got a fair amount of pull over here (relatively speaking of course). They bought it a few years ago.

What surprises me is that Rebellion’s done so little with it since taking over - Rogue Trooper is a really bizarre choice to build a game around, and Dredd vs. Death was rubbish without any good reason, since it was literally their own license and their own game studio. I got the impression they wanted the IP, but it seems it’s more like owning an antique vase - there to look at, not to fill with flowers.

I want a Lobster Random game. Bec and Kawl would also be acceptable.

Eerie.

Heard of it? I played it several times. Actually pretty fun game.

I’d never heard of the comic, but the game has been pushed pretty hard around here. Prior to learning it was an obscure comic license, my first question was “Why is that guy blue?”

I would have preferred a Strontium Dog game, personally. Or even Robo-hunter.

You played Rogue Trooper several times? As in ‘several times over’? Good lord, why?

And, yes, it is a fun game. Most games are. :)

-Tom

Because I was damned good at it, Tom. Who knows why? There are some games I’m preternaturally good at. Monopoly and Rogue Trooper are probably at the top. Plus, I had maxi-zoom dweebie pals in junior high who liked to play it. It was a passing fancy, and then Battletech and Car Wars took over.

And, yes, it is a fun game. Most games are. :)

-Tom

Oh shit, he said the “F” word. YEA I KNOW THEE, CHICK.

I think we’re talking about different things. You know Eidos released a third-person action game called Rogue Trooper a few weeks ago, right? Because that’s what I was talking about. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to play that thing “several times over”.

I presume there’s some Rogue Trooper, I dunno, tabletop RPG or Steve Jackson game or something?

-Tom

I haven’t gone back through it yet, but I really liked the first play through. The lads over at RLLMUK compare the higher difficulty levels to Halo, in that the legendary equivalent is a considerably different experience to just playing it on Normal. When Normal’s main problem was how easy it is, that probably helps.

I really liked Rogue Trooper. Over expansive skill-set, lots of room to improvise, agreeable brutality, co-op multiplayer and homoerotic scenes featuring buff blue smurfs.

KG

Well, they’ve actually done lots of stuff with the IP. They just haven’t done many games with it.

KG

I really enjoyed Rogue Trooper.

Yeah. Tabletop game. I thought maybe that’s what you meant with the whole 30 something geek RACIAL PROFILING you just did. I mean, do you need to be 30 years old to play a game that came a few weeks ago?

Thanks for telling me it sucks, though. I would have been tempted to buy it.

True, although I did mean the games company side of things rather than the whole corporate entity.

I really loved this game in co-op (3rd person shooters that have co-op online play are quite the rarity on PC) but there were few people on the planet playing this. Being a multi-platform game didn’t really help in that regard. I had a few fun games with a fella from Germany.

One of the frustrating things was that it ONLY supported headset chat online. There was no way to just type in “what map to play next” or something like that. Most of the players I played with had no headset, and we simply had no way to communicate or keep a fun game going.

It’s really a shame cause the game worked well online, the physics and AI reinforcements rushing in from many directions were quite fun, and it really could’ve been something special if EIDOS hadn’t for all intents and purposes abandoned it upon release.

If, God forbid, anyone here plays the PC version and wants to do some co-op send me a PM and I’ll dig the game discs back out. :)

Well as it happens I am playing it now. Quite fun so far. It’s interesting, having just finished Wolfenstein, what they do and don’t have in common.

As I do a sneak and takedown before facing a tough armoured mech guy, I still seem to be playing the game I finished last night. The ‘AI’ personalities are very nice. Taking inspiration from outside gaming makes so much sense…

There was some kind of bug in this game, IIRC, that caused it to crash at some point if you were playing under Windows 7. I don’t know if that has been patched yet or not. I had a blast with it up to that point.

What? No… :(