Roller Champions - Roller derby with Ubisoft

Like Rocket League with more wheels

I played the beta. It was bad, The skating had no flow or feeling which is a problem for a game about skating.

So I watched the first bit of this and shut if off in disgust. Why? Because the roller derby I know from watching live matches in SF bay Area is that they were all-women leagues. Not sure if that’s because ladies like to play it or that’s the way it is, but their personalities and makeup were half the experience, kinda like wrestling.

Digression: While the game is neat when you get to understand it, as a hockey player, I just couldn’t stomach watching them wear the little retro rolleskates when they’d have so much more power, speed, manoeuvrability ( ie less janky looking skating) with rollerblades.

But yeah, why are they dudes.

When I was a kid there were both men and woman leagues. I always felt that Roller Derby and WWW Wrestling are cousins. : )

The beta/alpha or whatever I played was fun for about 10 minutes.

I just finished a session with a couple of buddies, and I came away impressed. The skating feels really fricken great.

It’s one of those free to play games that would be incredible if it wasn’t so obsessed with taking weak people’s money.

It’s much less Rocket League, and closer to a really good EA Sports game. A lot of speed, body tackles, skill moves, skill shots and teamwork.

“We’re totally not cancelled! Just FYI.”

Between this and Knockout City, there are a lot of perfectly good multiplayer games that are being sent to the desert to die by publishers.

It makes me think it’s better left to smaller independent shops like Psyonix, even if they do get swallowed up eventually. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Bleeding Edge and Hyper Scape also sucked. Making multiplayer only doesn’t seem sustainable. See that Hood game.