Rome Total War - War Stories

OK, so I figured out some ways to minimize the impact of the bribery problem (avoid garrisoning cities with mercenary troops, don’t put good quality stacks under the command of unreliable generals, and then I just self-enforce a no-bribery rule). That has allowed me to continue to enjoy the great battles :).

I know we all have stories of our mighty martial prowess so here are a couple of mine:

Note - I’m using the Large unit size (80 roman infantry per company).

Numerius and the Saxons:

In my first campaign as the Julii (Medium/Medium), I’d managed to struggle through the Gauls and then I screwed up and got bogged down in Iberia while still trying to conquer Germania. My A stack during the conquest of Gaul was commanded by Numerius, an aged and stalwart general who at the ripe age of 66 is besieging the town in the Saxon province. His stack has been badly attritted by heavy fighting and the conquered towns have been too small and impoverished to replenish his troops. So hes down to 6 half strenght hastati, 1 full strength principes, 2 half strength velites and his own cavalry. He commands about 440 troops total. The Germans in the town are just remnants so I’m not too worried. I’m actually more worried about Numerius keeling over from old age than I am about the Germans. Then suddenly the German Faction Leader shows up with a stack of 1,600 men. I kid you not. It was one third peasants and about one quarter each of screeching women and spearmen, but he did have some Axemen and also the faction leader cavalry, plus another general with cavalry. And he had 1 company of barbarian cavalry (I think they were mercs). He attacked Numerius and tried to drive us off the Saxon town.

I get to the tac map hoping for a nice mountain to defend but instead I get a mixture of pleasant North European plains plus a smattering of forest. I put my infantry in line on the far edge of the map behind a small copse of trees. I hide my Velities in the trees and station good old Numerius as my reserve. I set my infantry to Guard and Fire At Will. I set my Velites to hold fire (as I don’t want them to give themselves away).

The Germans advance in a great big mass of spearmen, peasants and screeching women, with the axemen and cavalry bringing up the rear. The mass comes through the forested area and gets a little disordered. I’m holding fire on my Velites, waiting for the enemy to close. Just as the first couple bands of spearmen get within range of my infantry javelins, I have my Velites open up as well. The first wave of spearmen is broken just by the ranged fire and runs off. The peasants are next and the retreat of the spearmen plus the forest has disordered them badly. So I have my infantry charge them while my velites keep firing. We break the peasants easily and then march back to our starting line. Meanwhile I see that the enemy cavalry has moved to my right so I send Numerius over there to counter.

The next wave of enemy approach and this time its mostly screeching women and some spearmen. Sadly my infantry has used up its javelins now and the Velites are not strong enough to break the screechers. So the enemy engages my line and begins to inflict casualties. I am giving better than I’m taking but I’m still outnumbered 3 to 1 so things are looking dicey.

I see the German cav forming up on my right. Fortunately my best unit, the Principes are right there. I have them turn to face the cav and hold their ground. They take a tough charge from the Barbarian Cav and hold but then the German Faction Leader charges in. They hold but just barely and their morale drops to Wavering. Meanwhile I have moved Numerius around behind the charging German cav and then I flank them with a charge to the backside. This works beatifully - Numerius routs the German cav AND kills their Faction Leader. The Barbarian Cav fight on a bit and then their third cav unit rolls in. Numerius is outunumbered and i have to pull his unit with only 15 survivors. Fortunately this has broken their attempted flank on my right.

Now the battle boils down to the clash of the main battle lines. My poor wounded Principes have bucked up a little and I put them back into line. My Velites get overwhelmed by the advancing German Axemen, break and then rout before I can get Numerius over to rally them. I have one uncommitted Hastati on my far left flank so I bring them around and have them charge into the left side of the German infantry horde. The lines lock up and neither side is giving. My outnumbered Hastati are fighting hard. I bring Numerius around to the right, feeling desperate. I send Numerius and his depleted company into the right side of the German infantry horde. I hit some screeching women and break them, halt, charge again into a second screeching women and break them. I halt again and charge Numerius’ Tired company into a third band of women (no mercy!). They break also and the German morale goes to crap. Then the Germans start to crumple - Axemen companies start breaking and pretty soon their whole battle line is running.

I see that their surviving General with his measely 6 troops is trying to rally them. Numerius is down to 8 men and his troop is Exhausted. Nonetheless I send Numerius charging over to disrupt the general before he can rally the Germans. Numerius makes it over there, sends the charge home and routs the general. Then the Germans run off like dogs.

We took 1600 Germans on with 440 Romans - we took 220 castualties and inflicted 1200. We got a Heroic Victory and took the Saxon town. Numerius earned the title of The Mighty and died of old age the next turn :). I mentally held a tribute in his honor.

Spartan Ambush

In my second campaign as the Brutii (Hard/Hard) I take two towns and then settle down to build up a while. I’m at war with the Greeks but stay peaceful with the Macedonians. I send a spy and a Diplomat into Greek lands to check things out. I see that Sparta is lightly defended and I have an army of Hastati and Principes ready to roll. I bring in some Equites, hop onto my ships and cross the Tyrrhenean Sea. We get to the western Peloponese and debark. I have a good solid army led by a 6 star general: 9 Hastati, 2 Principes, and 4 Equites, all with blacksmith upgrades and 1 or 2 bars of experience (from the temple of Mars). Also I hire some Cretan Archers so I have about 1200 men total. The Greeks have about 200 men in or around Sparta so I figure this will be a cakewalk. I advance on Sparta and as I pass through the woods, the Greeks pop out and ambush me. This is the first time I’ve been ambushed and I am shocked to be rushed to the battle screen with no deployment. I’m even more shocked when I see my army straggled in a long column, and even more shocked when I see that my units are also in column. Then I look at the Greeks and go “Holy Shit”. They have 1400 men, about 1/4 each of Militia Hoplites, Hoplites and Armoured Hoplites. They also have one unit of Spartan Hoplites, a Faction Leader cav, and a couple of peltasts. Worse yet, they are surrounding my straggly column in a nice encircling U. I’m thinking I’m completely screwed.

Three things saved me: the basic toughness of the Roman units, a lucky distribution of units, and the sheer agonizing slowness of the hoplites. They had me. They had me right where they wanted me. But they were too slooooow to close the loop.

I got lucky in that my three front units were my two Principes and my Cretan archers. I immediately had my Principes make a crude U in line formation and had my archers start firing on the approaching hoplites. I set my Principes to Fire at Will to try to blunt the inital charge. I had my hastati run forward to extend the lines of the U - giving each one orders to run up and get into line formation. Then I had my Equites and my leader run forward and form up on the right in hopes of getting a chance to flank and charge.

The Greeks were too slow. If they could have closed the loop on me before I got my line setup I would have been toast. But between the Cretan archer fire and my Principes toughness, we held them for long enough for the Hastati to get in line. The hoplites ground away at my line on both the left and right, but we held. My infantry disrupted them with javelin fire and then the melee started. My archers were firing away and my infantry were fighting hard. We held and held, but it was clear that the superior weight and phalanx of the hoplites was going to break us on the left, and my right was too heavily engaged to shift.

I had my Equites in position to flank but waited a couple of agonizing minutes for the Greeks to fully commit to the battle line. Finally they engaged all their hoplites and sent in their General. When they did that. I charged in on the right, flanking their Armoured hoplites and breaking one, then two. We tried to break a third (Spartan Hoplites) but they turned their spears on us, pretty much trashing two of my four Equites. The final two Equites were tangled up with the Spartan Hoplites and with the Faction Leader Cavalry, so I sent my leader Quentus into flanking position. While he got into the right spot, my 3rd and 4th Equites were getting savaged by the Spartan Hoplites. Finally I sent Quentus into their rear with a charge and we broke them, then we broke the Faction Leader and rode him down. He died running like a dog.

It was lucky that I did so well on the right, as my left completely broke at this point. Their hoplites had been grinding away and finally just made my Hastati run like girlie men. Fortunately my right was secure and since I was in a U formation I just shifted the right to the left and held that line.

Meanwhile Quentus rallied the surving 3 companies of Equites (one must have routed in the frenzy) and we turned the corner from the right to the center, flanking and charging hoplite after hoplite. After 2 or 3 more broken companies, the Greeks turned and ran.

We were too beaten down to pursue but we accepted the victory. The computer awarded me a Clear Victory but it was a much closer-run thing than that. We lost 600 of 1200 men and the Greeks lost 900 of 1400. I limped over to Sparta and sieged it but would not have been able to take it without reinforcements.

It was a great battle as I learned how nasty (and yet how limited) phalanxes are, and I also learned that ambushes suck :).

OK, those are two of my best stories, what are some of yours?

Dan

Great stories Sharpe. I just picked up the game this weekend, so my battles are like skirmishes in comparison to your 3000 troop epics. But, from your stories, and from my own experiences, I think this game really has that ability to ‘make great stories’. I think Chick has mentioned this before, how a game can draw you in and make you care about the characters or units in the game (suspension of disbelief or some variant).

I’ve been playing the Julii and have been getting pushed around by the Gaul. I finally stopped trying to go for the quick hits and settled down, built a fort to keep out rebels and gauls and built up a small army of 2 hasti, 2 equites, 1 archer, 2 velites, 1 war dog (love those mutts) and my general with cavalry. I hired 2 companies of merc infantry. I attacked a gaul army slightly smaller than my army, but which had 3 units of swords and a warband as reinforcements.

The map opened up and I was facing a wood with the main gaul force waiting on a hill pretty far into the forest. Way across the map I could see the reinforcements churning up the snow trying to get to the battle. I figured that I should hit the main force with my infantry line, and keep my velites and cavalry back to keep the reinforcements out of my flank and rear. But, as I’m slowly marching my army through the forest, the reinforcements come tearing up at full speed. The main gaul force sends a single company of spear at me which distracts me, and this allows his reinforcements to basically run right past me and join his main force.

Now I had been thinking the the Gauls would try and hit me in the back with the reinforcements, which would have been hard to deal with as I still struggle with manuevering quickly to different flanks. But here the Gauls had basically put together all their troops together in one place, up on a hill, not a bad choice. I was very glad to have the time to put my forces in order, and I started inching my main battle line closer to the hill, its a small hill, just a rise in the forest really. My archers start plinking his men, and even my velites are throwing now, but the Gauls hold still and start throwing javelins back.

At this point I had one of those “wow” moments when you lower the camera down to ground level and you really get the sense that you’re watching an ancient battle. Things are going well, but I’m not looking forward to sending my melee troops up a hill to charge the barbarians, so I decide to unleash the hounds of war. Watching the handlers bring their dogs up and then unleash the pack of rotweilers creates brings the “wow” right back. The gauls don’t like the dogs, a couple of companies break rank and start to move down the hill, and at that point I sent the charge home. The battle is fierce, but when I send my general into the flank, the gauls break and the rout is on.

I’m looking forward to the larger battles. So far I am very happy with this purchase. Sorry if I changed tenses in this post about 20 times, I’m kind of tired.

I just had a cool battle during my Carthaginian campaign on hard/hard.
I’d occupied a Brutii city and had garisoned it with my main siege army of about 1000 men and I had a supplementary force of about 600 men adjacent to it to act as reinforcements. A Brutii force attacked with two armies of 700 each. I thought it would be an absolute rout for the enemy due to my superior numbers so I sat back and got ready for a quick match. Then I get a message saying ‘Your reinforcements are delayed’. That got my attention very quickly because I now have to fight the battle against over 2 to 1 odds.
It was a great battle in which I had to quickly take on one enemy army before the other could arrive to sandwich me. My single unit of armoured elephants were true stars. I clicked on an enemy commander’s unit at the back of his army and told them to charge. The cut straight through his army and started hammering him. Then they routed for a minute but at least they didn’t rampage. I was able to use them several times as army disruptors without any rampaging- which is an absolute rarity for me normally.
I basically rushed one army and used my Poeni infantry as an anchor and my cavalry superiority (the Sacred Band rule!) to envelope them and try to recreate Cannae. It was pretty effective. After that force routed, I had about 20 seconds to realign my force and take on the second army’s attack. Fortunately they cam in dribs and drabs, so my slingers could whittle them away and my armoured elephants could also do some more stomping. I eventually routed both armies with 1000 casualties with me suffering 300.
I really wish there was an option to save battles, I would have loved to take my time and rewatch some of the scenes that I was too busy clicking away to notice in the first time.

I had a battle against the Dacians.

They had their 9-star faction leader with around 6 units of Chosen Bowmen and a smattering of Cavalry and Infantry seiging a town. 1200 guys or so. I had an army with 800 guys (standard mix of early Roman units), and well, no way in hell they’re going to win, so I basically did a bunch of retreating until I had my only available general in the area (another 3 star) hire every merc he could find and strip every garrison in the area bare to get a really mixed-bag 900 unit force together. Then I laid seige to the Dacian capital that my original force had been chased away from. That brought General McDeadly screaming back south to chase away those guys, at which point I move both armies side by side.

The Dacian King took the bait and attacked.

So here I am with 2 inferior forces against an elite enemy force with a 65 year old 9 star general. My mission in this battle? Kill his damn Chosen Bowmen that were kicking the shit out of me. So the battle starts, I line my guys up, and it turns out that my two armies are lined up on either side of the Dacian DeathGod.

The battle rapidly dissolves into chaos. His elite cavalry were everywhere mauling my units, there’s so much stuff going on on the map that the most I can do I keep my cavalry as a big old battering ram ready to charge Chosen Archer units. Then I see that my General #1 gets killed (under AI control). Then I see that my General #2 (under my control) gets killed also. At this point, most of my cav just runs up to the Chosen Archers, then turns around and runs away. Great job.

So basically all I can do is charge them with everything I’ve got. Velites with no javelins, tired Hastati, everything. General KickMyAss is out there chasing the remants of the AI force around with his missile cav, so I manage to finally get all of his Chosen Archers killed dead. I bring my forces together, and I’ve got around 150 tired beated guys. A look of the field shows that all General KillThemAll has left is 3 units of missile cav.

Bodies everywhere.

So i move my forces forward and… he runs off.

I win. I break the back of his forces at the cost of 3/4 of both of my stacks and 2 generals. A captain gets called “The Man of the Hour” and becomes a 3 star general from that battle. He takes the remant of both forces, lays siege to the town that the Dacian King comes from, and next turn, the Dacian King dies of old age, his heart left in the field with the bodies of his best soldiers. Dacia falls.

I wish Rome could save replays from campaign games.

The other fun battle I had was against the entire SPQR army when I fought them. The battle was fought on the strangest terrain I’ve ever seen – there was this huge ROCK on my side of the field that I used to anchor my flank and this huge gully in front of me.

My archers made their people pay, and I had ballistas on the flank firing firing ammo at point blank range into their forces.

Then my Faction Leader led the way into Rome and died fighting in the Central Square before my AI controlled forces could save him.

Great Stuff. I’m having less fun with the Egyptian forces, or perhaps I just need to turn the difficulty up. I think I’ll do that and do a Scipii campaign.

Fantastic stories, thanks!

The battle was fought on the strangest terrain I’ve ever seen – there was this huge ROCK on my side of the field that I used to anchor my flank and this huge gully in front of me.

Wasn’t there a famous rock in Rome, an execution place…? Why yes, there was. Could be that, maybe?

In honor of Rome: Total War Remastered let’s bump this sucker.

Arise!

I hope to have some new war stories to contribute this weekend.

Seems like my kind of thread. Might be time to fire up a special QT3 version of the grand campaign on Rome Remastered and embark on one mighty saga to the edges of the known world.

Time to rewrite history as we lead the forces of King Pyrrhus of Epirus on his campaign to conquer Sparta whilst it is supposedly weakly defended, with the bulk of her forces away on campaign in Crete with King Areus the First. Alas, it will not be as easy as just walking in the front door and saying we own the place now. The Spartans and their helots garrisoning the settlement will fight to the death to defend their home from King Pyrrhus’ daring assault.

With a Spartan army at the border of the map marching to bolster the garrison, Pyrrhus will have to either act quickly to secure the plaza at the settlement’s center or defeat a larger than expected force of Spartans. And so sets the scene for a bloody battle among the streets of the the Spartan capital, Spartan Hoplites against Epirote Phalangites.

The Spartans deploy their hoplites, with helot peltasts in reverse, to block the streets into the center of Sparta. Therefore, King Pyrrhus orders his archers and slingers to skirmish the Spartan forces at the edge of town to either weaken their numbers before a bloody street-by-street assault or force them into combat at the outskirts of Sparta. At first the Spartans hold their ground in the streets, their numbers diminishing by the minute under the ranged assault, until their reinforcements arrive and then they decide to boldly sally out and assault the forces of Pyrrhus pelting them.

In the aftermath of the bloody confrontation the Epirote forces emerge victorious, the phalangites of Epirus crushing the famous hoplites of Sparta. Pinned in from the front and sides the Spartan phalanx fights bravely but ultimately they are no match for the sarissa-wielding phalanx of Epirus. The corpses of the majority of the Spartan garrison now litter the outskirts of Sparta.

With just a token force left defending the town center outside the Spartan King’s palatial estate, King Pyrrhus reassembles his forces and prepares to push into the settlement. Token force or not, King Pyrrhus knows that the day is not yet won as the Spartans and their helot underlings will fight to the death at the town square. The Spartans could yet still inflict many casualties on the Epirote forces, especially if they can cause the elephants to run amok within the streets.

So, King Pyrrhus’ soldiers carefully push into the town center and on to the plaza to deliver the final blow to the famed Spartans. The fighting is bloody as the Spartan generals and their bodyguards, the remaining Spartan hoplites, and the helot give no quarter to the Epirote army. However, eventually the final blow is struck and the forces of Sparta are vanquished and the settlement is taken by King Pyrrhus’ army. The Spartans are slain to the last man in the defense of their homeland, a noble but in vain defense.

A heroic victory for King Pyrrhus and the Epirote army on the day with 167 brave soldiers lost for a total of 1352 foes slain. The Rhodian slingers earning their keep, as mercenaries in King Pyrrhus’ forces, on this day with over 360 kills shared between the two detachments. The archers and peltasts chipping in during the skirmishing with over 100 kills combined. Whilst a detachment of Levy Pikemen valiantly led the way amongst the troops for melee kills, perhaps a promotion in order for them as reward for their efforts.

And, so, history is successfully rewritten as King Pyrrhus of Epirus conquers Sparta in the historical battle ‘Siege of Sparta’. Where he will go from here, no one knows…

Excellent battle report. The phalangists really do well with static opponents.