Roseanne - The Return

Look, when you go to a photo shoot and the photographer finishes their normal cover photos they usually say something like “let’s try some fun ones!” just to see if they can get some candid shots that will be more interesting. Normal stuff.

But when the photographer then says “how about you put on this swastika armband and Hitler mustache,” the answer needs to always be “no.”

I do love the manufacturers response to Roseanne’s blaming Ambien:

Oh man, apparently those are from 2009?? So I guess ABC can’t really say they didn’t know what they were getting into.

edit: even weirder, that’s a photo shoot from a Jewish magazine called Heeb? This is all too nuts.

It kind of is though, unless you think the show would have been canceled had she not made that tweet. No, I understand you’re going to tell me this is a “straw that broke the camel’s back” situation, I get it. But again, had she kept her mouth (or fingers, whatever) shut a bunch of people would still have a job today.

It’s just amazing seeing the right wing crazies defend Roseanne after talking so much shit about Kaepernick.

This almost got a spit take out of me.

Ah ha! But what about the cast/crew on whichever show is plucked from the scrap heap to fill the spot? Or the spot that’s created when another show is moved?

All right, fair point. There’s probably a producer and roomful of writers who just hit the jackpot.

Won’t someone think of the Hollywood liberal elite cast and crew?!

What about Trump? Don’t forget him!

Can we just make the Aunt Jackie spinoff where Roseanne died instead of Dan?

I remember that, and I wonder if that’s when this started to change? Just a few years earlier (1983), Howard Cosell called Alvin Garret a ‘monkey’ on the MNF broadcast. He never even apologized, and nothing really happened.

It probably wasn’t racist on his part:

During a Monday Night Football telecast on September 5, 1983, Cosell said of Washington Redskins wide receiver Alvin Garrett, “That little monkey gets loose, doesn’t he?” The Rev. Joseph Lowery, then-president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, denounced Cosell’s comment as racist and demanded a public apology, but Cosell refused, citing his past support for black athletes and stating that “little monkey” was an affectionate term he had used in the past for diminutive white athletes (including Mike Adamle, for whom Cosell was on record using the term 11 years prior), as well as for his own grandson.

Jimmy Kimmel is thinking along the same lines:

OTOH Jimmy the Greek was fired by CBS for racist statements in 1988.

I just want to say how impressed I am by Roseanne’s amazing self-discipline by staying off Twitter for a whole 12 hours.

What’s going on when TV network execs and Big Pharma are the moral compass of America?

Also Teen Vogue and Jimmy Kimmel.

They aren’t a moral compass. The difference between the Disney CEO and someone like Roseanne Barr is that the former is a rational pragmatic actor.

He measures twice, then cuts once. He goes to extraordinary lengths to avoid unforced errors, and when he makes an inadvertent mistake he triages the problem, apologizes, initiates root cause analysis, and endeavors to improve in the future. He isn’t motivated by spite or really any emotion in his business decisions. They are calculated actions.

Stole this from reddit:

As any good Republican will tell you, Ambien doesn’t cause racist tweets; people do.