Roseanne - The Return

After that finale? What?

On her website in 2009, Barr gave her detailed take on where each of the main characters from the show would be in a possible Roseanne revival: Roseanne and Jackie opening the first medical marijuana dispensary in Lanford; Dan reappearing alive after faking his death; DJ being published; Mark dying in Iraq; David leaving Darlene for a woman half his age; Darlene coming out, meeting a woman and having a baby with her; Becky working at Walmart; Arnie befriending the governor of Illinois and remarrying Nancy; Bev selling a painting for $10,000; Jerry and the grandsons forming a boy band; and Bonnie being arrested for selling crack.

I never watched Roseanne so I don’t have a horse in this race but UGH, NO!

Whaaaaaaat? On the one hand, Dan’s death bring faked is some bullshit. On the othe hand, the phrase “No more John Goodman thank you; I’ve had enough” has never crossed my lips and I can’t imagine ever will. I’ll find a way to make my peace with this, I guess.

Hahaha.

Fuck it, I’m in.

We need more John Goodman in Coen Brothers films. I don’t know that we need his character in Roseanne brought back from the dead (or Roseanne, period).

The Big Lebowski Returns?

Only if we discover Donnie faked his death and someone else was cremated!

This show is a ratings smash. No surprise, really. Roseanne is a staunchly conservative sitcom voice in the middle of ABC’s more moderate/liberal comedy block.

I’m going to start a new discussion topic in P&R for this because I think it’s worth looking at.

Seriously? That seems weird as hell to me. In my mind’s eye, the original show was straightforward Roosevelt Democrats making ends meet. Almost Norman Lear. Did she make a u-turn?

Rosanne is a staunch Trump supporter now.

It’s not a full u-turn. They’re obviously going for an almost All in the Family vibe in which Roseanne plays the Archie Bunker and her kids try to relate to her in 2018’s world, but I don’t think it’s entirely successful at that because it’s not obviously clear that she’s wrong like Archie was. The show waffles on it, and falls more towards what it thinks is a “compassionate conservative” tone.

It’s weird.

I made a more P&R thread here: Roseanne and conservative coded jokes

Huh. Interesting. I guess she always had a populist streak, but I figured her for a bit more sense.

The original show got really stupid toward the end, with Roseanne winning the lotto and someone marrying a super rich Jim Varney IIRC.

Back in the day John Goodman didnt want to do the show anymore. Then roseanne tried to make a spinnoff show about her that never got anywhere.So now they are explaining away all the stupidity of that final season, as roseanne writing a book. It never happened, including his death.

If you haven’t followed, she’s full-bore crazy now. Like, conspiracy theorist crazy.

Ugh. I had not followed.

Well, that’s a pity. I liked aspects of the original show a lot.

This week’s On The Media on NPR had a good discussion about the show.

FYI, Roseanne Barr tweeted some outright racist things the other day, then deleted her entire twitter account after being forced to apologize.

The hammer has now fallen

That’s an amazing end to this whole story.

It’s a satisfying wrap as far as I’m concerned, though it’s unfortunate for the cast and production teams. Maybe they could just boot her and rename the show and continue with the rest of the cast. They did that with Valerie Harper’s sitcom after she got in a contract dispute over pay.