RPGs: What's on the Horizon?

It actually looks promising.Currently listed on 1Cs english language page (not all their games are) so I assume they intend a Euro release.

1C Listing

Dungeon Cleaners is a sci-fi RPG. The game leads you into a ravaged penitentiary planet. It’s an exile place for criminals and political prisoners of the Galactic Empire. It’s a place with rough nature and tough people, drug-addicts, thieves and killers. Debauchery and violence prosper here…

Official Russian Language Site

I don’t think those are “Christmas or slightly beyond.” Especially Dragon Age.

Early word on Gothic 3 is that a patch is definitely a must.

Isn’t the first part of the Conan MMOG single-player? And then you can import your character into the MMOG at like level 20?

Desslock has me peeing myself over NWN2.

When’s Bioshock due?

I don’t get the Bloodlines hate. With the unofficial patch, the game is all purty and almost all the warts are removed. It gets action-heavy at the end? WOW NO RPGS EVER DO THAT. As for the sewer: GameFAQs walkthrough FTW.

I never got that about Bloodlines either, as I’d swear some of the same people complaining that the (mostly avoidable before the endgame) combat was too much were ok with the endless slog of combat in JRPGs like DQ8. I’m having a hard time coming up with a single CRPG that was less combat intensive than Bloodlines. Planescape I guess, but that’s about it, and tons of people complained that it was too wordy and didn’t have enough action.

Bioshock is an RPG?

I missed the “Christmas or shortly thereafter” part. Though I sure hope Mass Effect hits in Q1…

I haven’t even installed Bloodlines yet. I figure the longer I wait the better it is going to get. Up to patch version 3.1? That’s just insane, is it ever going to stop?

Woops, got Bioshock and that stupid The Fall mixed up. Mea culpa.

At some point the unofficial Bloodlines patches went from merely bugfixing to adding stuff, like adding subclasses and stuff. A lot of it is cool, but not necessary.

Bloodlines is great. My only complaint was the crash bugs, and it’s not a very big complaint.

Definitely better than the DX series, and SS2 only tops it in a storyline sense.

Actually, I thought you might have meant it, and even if you didn’t mean it you might still be right :-) It’s definitely leaning so far from FPS land into RPG territory that it’s in danger of toppling right over. People in this thread are already comparing Bloodlines to SS2 and DX, both of which were also borderline RPGs… or were they? Fucking genres, fuck 'em anyhow.

Ahh Bloodlines, speaking of action rpgs, Hellgate: London aught to be good.

Hellgate does look good, and it’ll take a damn good action/RPG to get me interested in playing another one for more than a week. It’s become as derivative a genre as RTSs were the first few years after Command & Conquer and WarCraft2 – is anyone not tired of action/RPGs?

I dunno. Is Bioshock an action/RPG? Was System Shock 2? How about Bloodlines, fer pete’s sake?

Hell, I haven’t even bought Titan Quest which is definitely an action-RPG, and that was apparently good enough to generate a 20±page thread here, which is saying something…

I can’t see that I’ll ever get tired of action-RPGs. They’re the new Roguelikes!

Re: Bloodlines - I enjoyed it and it’s definitely closer to Deus Ex & System Shock than a conventional RPG in terms of gameplay (i.e., FPS with some RPG & adventure elements thrown in). The second half is pretty linear and combat-heavy, though, so if that’s not your cup of tea you may not enjoy it.

If by “action RPG” you mean “Diablo clone,” then yeah, I’ve been burnt out on the genre for a while now. [I enjoyed Dungeon Siege 2, but I just couldn’t get into Titan Quest at all.] If you simply mean the combination of action & RPG design elements, then no, I still think there’s life left in that mix…provided people stop ripping off Diablo every time.

I’ve been playing ZangbandTK every day for the last month or so…I’ve logged more time with that game than any other game I have ever played. It’s kind of an action RPG, I guess. I haven’t gotten Titan Quest yet, but I’m looking forward to getting it for Xmas. My list of games I haven’t played yet and are coming out soon or just recently came out:

Gothic 3
Witcher
Oblivion expansion
Dragon Age (how near is that one?)
Hellgate: London

Thanks! I love the Geneforge series. That reminds me…I played the demo (25%) for GF3, but didn’t get the whole game. I might need to do that first.

I’ve played the shareware of the last 3 but never bought any. Which one do you guys recommend?

While I prefer a more turn based, tactical style ala fallout, I am not even close to bored with the genre. Lots of crap is released that I can’t stand (sacred, dungeon siege, raven’s x-men crap, etc) but I still love the genre. Diablo, Titan Quest, and the forthcoming Hellgate totally float my boat. I was very disappointed in how Snowblind handled the new Justice League game, I was hoping for more of a Champions of Norrath or Baldur’s Gate : Dark Alliance but with super heroes.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I mean. I have nothing against using “action” to resolve combat in an RPG, and would love to see another game like Star Control 2 or Dungeon Master for that reason, but Diablo clones have really lost a lot of appeal, especially after playing stuff like Mage Knight Apocalpyse, Dungeon Siege II Broken Worlds, Space Hack, Bard’s Tale, Sacred Underworld, Beyond Divinity) and all the console games that use virtually the same engine (x-men legends, untold legends, BG dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, etc. although for some reason I’m more tolerant of those games on other platforms like the PSP, since I’m just happy to get something with any RPG elements on 'em) – even superior games in the genre, like Titan Quest, don’t sustain my interest very long because the genre’s been so oversaturated.

Yet I can, and have been/or will, play Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Gothic 3 for months, trying out different characters or just exploring every nook and cranny. I never get tired of those games, and it’s almost sad that they all came out in the same year, since we’ll probably have to wait 2 years for a comparably “big” RPG (Fallout 3, Dragon’s Age, Mass Effect). The Witcher and Jeff Vogel’s stuff are the only ones I’m looking forward to in the next year.

Maybe Sacred 2, since that was one of the better Diablo clones of recent years, but I’m not sure I would have finished the original or its expansion if I hadn’t reviewed them, and I haven’t not finished a game since the original Zork.

Dungeon Runners looks like a pretty cool Diablo-clone but i haven’t heard much about it.

I’m not tired of action RPGs at all. However, I am tired of there being a relative lack of other types of RPGs that I like.