RUMOR: Starcraft 2 announced next month

LOL, you yammer about RTS’s moving so far ahead of Starcraft and yet 2 of the 3 games you list(C&C, SC) are essentially the same games as their predecessors with much better graphics.

Typical Dave Long logic at work again…

I am fairly certain Blizzard announced they are going to make MMO’s for all their intellectual properties.

I hope they go weaksauce on graphics so that is more mass market. I’m still into modding for Starcraft, but I’m not going to upgrade for SC2.

Well, bleeding-edge system requirements would certainly be a first for a Blizzard title.

A-Fucking-Men brother.

And seriously… This many people still play Starcraft just on this site?

Damn!

I love C&C3, its just, its graphically more than my PC can handle, while Starcraft runs flawlessly on it, without stutter or anything. Either way, I’m not putting down other games…

Its just that Starcraft has one of the most faithful followings for RTS games… Admit it.

Nah, I think there’s a lot of fundamental issues with an MMORTS that are just too hard to solve without a really far out there new design. Blizzard takes risks but I don’t think they’ll go that far, not when they can print money with a very good (but still mostly traditional) RTS.

Now, Diablo, on the other hand… D2 is about the closest thing to an MMO that you can get, without being an MMO. Is there any game that doesn’t have persistant servers, that has an economy like D2’s?

I thought StarCraft sucked…get this! Circa '98! Mainly because of it’s control/interface and number of required microchores. Don’t want to know how it plays now.

It had a great “campaign” i.e. story/cutscenes, but that was all.

Curious what was so great about it, that I still have to fend off 1D4 StarCraft fans per year who never played another RTS so save their lives.

3 unique races with very different playstyles that was actually well balanced.

Something that is still rather lacking these days in the majority of RTS titles.

Why don’t you ask them? If you’re not willing to play it, and have decided it sucks, I’m not sure why you’re asking us. So you can argue about something you haven’t played in 9 years? Is this a trap?

I do love the implication by both you and Dave Long that Starcraft fans are nuts that have never tasted the sweet nectar of another game. Oh, what wonders they have denied their senses in their fanatical devotion! What raving morons!

No one I know that thought Starcraft was awesome meets this description at all (although some may be morons). Most of them were or are competitive game players, whether it be RTS, Fighting Games, FPS, etc.

I could write a whole case study on Starcraft, but no way I’d ever do it in reply to this sort of baiting.

I too think that bringing the franchise back into the spotlight with an RTS would be the smart move before going MMO. Why go MMO with SC? WoW will be at the end of its lifecycle then. It’s not about competing, it’s about transitioning. WoW won’t last forever.

With Ghost they’ve already done a lot of exploration of where they can take the franchise, and no doubt generated a lot of content in the process that could be build upon–in some cases outright used–for an MMO.

That’s my take on it from a how-do-we-keep-making-bank POV. What they’d do as an MMO I don’t know. FPS elements? It’s hard to say.

The RTS genre is sure WIDE open for a competitive game worth a damn.

Hm… Company of Heroes in space would sure be awesome.

So me thinking that Starcraft is a superior competitive multiplayer game to CoH, C&C3, and SupCom is just me being “close-minded”?

How can you even say I haven’t played CoH? Shit, I’ve even played it with you. I’m KoolAidMan on Relic Online? Ring a bell?

Is it a interesting RTS? Yes. It has some severe issues that prevent it from being a great competitive multiplayer RTS though. A game can be a fun RTS yet still completely suck at being a competitive multiplayer game.

I’m not going to even bother trying to defend the tautology that Starcraft is a better competitive RTS than C&C3. Give me a break.

So yes, I learn the top strategies, practice micro, count frames, memorize map strategies, actions per minute, all that shit. That’s the nature of a competitive multiplayer game. Some games tone that down so it doesn’t matter, some lack the depth to allow players to fully explore different tactics, and some simply lack balance and fairness. Blizzard knows how to do it right though, and I think the hundreds of thousands of people still playing their RTS’s years later are testiment to that. Does more players make the game design itself better? No. But more players can be an indication of good game design.

And honestly, a competitive online multiplayer game isn’t worth a shit if you’re playing it by yourself. Having more players means actually being able to play games against different opponents with similar skill levels. Does that make the game automagically better? Well, for an example of where the lack of players automagically makes a game worse, see Relic Online.

I honestly don’t mind that a lot of people really enjoy playing checkers. If I have a checkerboard though, I’d rather be playing chess.

You’ve played Dawn of War, right? I realize it’s not quite there, but it’s reasonably close.

It’s probably going to be Diablo 3.

To me, Starcraft is the Fallout of the RTS genre, except it doesn’t have NMA worshiping it so that makes it better already.

Also, Blizzard should hire Relic to develop SC2.

EDIT

P.S: Diablo^3 could suffer a agonizing death and i still wouldn’t care.

I hope they make Warcraft IV.

I know it’s impossible and all that, but I still hope it will happen someday.

Yeah, me too, and I’m a Blizz fanboi. I guess I just didn’t get what all the fuss was about. Maybe I focused to much on the Star part of the title, but after Homeworld it felt really cheap giving us a space RTS on a 2D plane.

I also think World of Starcraft is a stupid idea. Three races? You think they have trouble getting people to play horde 'cos they’re ugly, try convincing them to play Zerg :p

Maybe World of Starcraft could be Blizzards take on Eve. The humans get to be redneck truckers and soldiers, and the Zerg and Protoss are NPC races used to give the universe a bit of shape.

And what about real gameplay features ? I mean 3 races is nice, but I’d choose RoN over Starcraft in a heartbeat gameplay wise. Even when it was released TA and Dark Reign tried something different, when SC was nothing but the old formula (done exceptionnally well, I agree).

Anyway I’m not in the Starcraft boat at all, I’d rather see Diablo 3.

This brought me to the verge of tears.

Irony surrenders.