Rumors of a Military Coup in Turkey

Yep, was just coming to post that he is getting started. Obviously the judiciary was behind the coup so they must go. But yeah it is a democracy there.

If will be fun if Erdogan decide to change allegiance to Russia, and we start a nuclear war over this.

This won’t be good for anyone. I’m really curious about what if anything the US knew before this thing happened. We have people based in Turkey, and it’s a NATO member, and of course an integral part of the whole Syria mess. Did we know, and told the Turks what was up? Did we know, and keep quiet (not likely, though it’s happened before, i.e., Vietnam)? Did we not know, and if that’s so, why the hell not? I would love to be a fly on the wall in the briefing rooms of US military and intel people working this crisis.

Reality is not relevant.

Blaming USA for bad croops, and anything random works for other middle east dictators, so why not erdogan?

Anyway the operations on the USA base has returned to normal. Maybe somebody from USA made a phone call to somebody from Turkey and promises of friendsship where made (behind in closed doors).

You have a very odd definition of “fun”.

Possible, but I think fairly unlikely unless someone criticizes him publicly for it. Turkey needs NATO and the US as much as we need them, if not more so. It’s a very powerful alliance to be a important member of and disrupting it doesn’t help Erdogan. As long as he’s in NATO we’ll let him basically do what he wants. If he drops a long standing and strong alliance then we might start having something to say about the things he’s doing that we don’t like (and there are plenty of them).

Germany, 1944 . . . oops.

Teiman, what is the game?

That’s Twilight Struggle. Either on PC or iOS.

Never played it, but my friends use to play the cardboard version

Is a very famous (and complex) game about the cold war.

Rumors are going, that it was a fake coup… maybe. Maybe it was a trap by Erdogan to get rid of the last unloyal military staff…

Doubtful, more like army hoping more army would support, but instead they held back, which in hindsight they shouldn’t have done, cause they got arrested anyway…

He’s ofcourse going to use it for what its worth, but who wouldn’t. I think Turkey is better off without the military getting in the way all the time, but you never know.

So what, you’re a colonel or a brigadier general and you get some anonymous email or something inviting you to a coup and you say sure, why not? BYOB? Or is the idea that whatshisname the supremo who was detained was in on it and organizing it on Erdogan’s behalf?

yeah, Peter Baelish could do it… not sure how you would provoke a coup in real life.

I do admit it’s surprising they didn’t wait till Erdogan was somewhere where he’d be easily grabbable. There may not really be official rules to coups as claimed by pundits lately, but if there was that would be rule one anyway.

But he was. He was at a resort in Turkey on the coast. They should have grabbed him or taken him out as the start of it all.

Unless the army was willing to massacre civilians on the street, a real bloodbath, there was no way the coup could’ve worked, not when the people took to the streets in massive numbers.

It really pays to actually read those Outlook meeting requests before hitting accept.

Hehehe, I’m still chortling. Nice one.

Sounds like things are getting really bad in Turkey: