Rumors of a Rock Band sequel

Rumors of a sequel to Rock Band for PS4/XBONE are starting to pile up.

If there’s any way at transfer much of your old DLC library to the next generation, I bet it will be locked to console families like most other cross-gen purchases and transers. In that case, this will be what makes me get an XBONE.

I think the rumors are right. There have been a few signs that they’re going to announce something Rock Band related soon.

The music library thing is going to be a sticking point, but the instruments will be an issue as well. X360 to XBONE will likely require re-purchasing instruments because the controller stuff is proprietary to the systems. PS3 to PS4 may be better positioned on that regard.

If the library can ONLY transfer to the same console family, it is the ONLY factor that would make me buy an XBONE. Crazy.

I had all the Rock Bands on PS3. SUCK IT LOSERS HAHAHAHAH

Yeah, that’s my exact situation. And of course rebuying instruments would be quite an undertaking, but buying an Xbox just for this would still feel weird to me in a way that the other $500* I’ll drop on fake plastic rock won’t.

*maybe it won’t cost that much, but I have no idea what the drum situation will be. It would be hard for me to go back from the ION kit to the standard Rock Band kit. If they still work with ION, they could conceivably just offer a new “brain”, but that seems like a long shot.

I have all my songs on the 360 so I can only cross my fingers and hope they’ll have some magic 360->PS4 transfer capability. They have to realize that a lot of their RB1/2/3 base is probably in a similar situation so hopefully they’ll have a solution. I’d also love some kind of official Ion-like or mesh head drum option this time.

Of course, the elephant in the room is whether or not a new Rock Band with plastic instruments would even appeal to the general audience.

Thanks, had missed that. Also had no idea that some new DLC had been released this year. Definitely interesting news. Lost all my games and instruments due to marriage breakup - probably more accurate to say their status is “unclear” at the moment - so likely to need to buy new instruments anyway.

There is also a survey linked to the article. The importance of both DLC & instrument compatibility is covered.

The existence of Rocksmith means that at least for me, I’ll never go back to the plastic controllers again.

I suspect it might (but that’s part of why they’ve been pushing surveys out to see whether my suspicions are in any way tethered to reality). I know that I used to throw Rock Band parties with turnouts of 40+ people and that friends in my group have recently been sniffing around about whether I’d throw another one this year (after about two years off) and mentioning looking for RB instruments/wishing they hadn’t sold theirs off with surprising frequency of late.

Rock Band should be evergreen, like Monopoly, and treated as a service. Free to download the base product with public domain music, pay for songs and instruments, keep them forever, play on any platform. That’s how it should obviously work.

Public domain music? That’s not going to attract the general audience investors want.

That’s just what’s free. You probably have one has-been song free at any given time, like the “free song of the week”, too.

My main issue is that my light show and Fender (the real wood body guitar) are for 360 and I am now on PS4. I’m sure that stuff wont be compatible and I can’t go back to a plastic guitar.

I also think I might be in the camp of thinking that Rocksmith is a better next step for me if I want to keep videogame rocking.

That said if by some miracle my guitar and $200+ song library for RB3 on 360 would transfer over to the ps4 I’m sure I would buy a copy of a new RB. That scenario seems highly unlikely though.

I think that if I wanted RB back buying a 360 once they hit $99 would probably make more sense than reinvesting for PS4.

This. The market obviously wasn’t big enough to support a barrage of retail sequels, but a few years later, treating it as a platform/service is the obvious right approach. They seem perfect for playing with kids due to the ability to play cooperatively with completely different difficulty settings, and it’s silly that to do so now that mine is at the right age I’d have to hit up eBay for a bunch of used gear and put money into a moribund ecosystem on an EOL platform.

And here comes Activision to ruin everything again: Guitar Hero sequel probably coming in 2015 as well.

Ugh…never cared for GH’s take on the genre compared to Rock Band.

Its quite a bit cheaper, though!

Well, if you only buy the numbered game. And you just know that Activision will be selling new plastic shit. I’m half expecting any RB sequel to break compatibility too, but I’m 100% certain GH will.

WISH LIST

[ul]
[li]Restore the solo online competitive mode from Rock Band 2.[/li]

[li]Restore the more cartoony art style for characters from Rock Band 2.[/li]

[li]Restore the guitar decorating system from Rock Band 2.[/li]

[li]Restore the attitude selection from Rock Band 2 (I’m tired of my avatars looking punk-rock pissed off at the end of songs).[/li]

[li]Keep the sorting and rating systems from Rock Band 3.[/li]

[li]Add a two-handed keyboard mode.[/li]

[li]Grab all the key hardware people from RedOctane before Activision scoops them up for Guitar Hero.[/li]

[li]And while I’m wishing, complete the Beatles catalog. And allow the songs to be used in the core game![/li][/ul]