Scanner Sombre - Introversion's post-Prison Architect LIDAR game

Surprise launch. 4/26.

VR support?

Not according to the Steam page so far.

Ah well, it looks like a VR kind of game. Still, bring on the impressions as Introversion tend to do interesting stuff.

I assume there is some limit on scanner usage or else I’d be OCD enough to want to fill in every last bit by running the scanner 100% of the time, like running around in Batman vision.

I’m suprised it’s out so soon? It’s out out? And not ‘early access’ out?

I played a prototype of this last year at Rezzed in London and it was really beautiful and creepy at the same time. Excited to see where Introversion have taken it. It’s not a VR game, though I’ve no doubt it would certainly enhance the effect. One of my favourite things to do was to turn round and look back at what I’d scanned. You get this kind of pointillised RGB shell of the environment you’ve been through. Very cool.

Maybe the only limit is your computer’s processing power. You get 100% when your computer crashes.

Seriously though, I found it was more satisfying to not spray the ever living fuck out of every surface. A patchwork effect was way prettier. YMMV of course!

Do this game have a point?

Looks very “walking simulator” to me.

Website link , because its good!

http://www.introversion.co.uk/scannersombre/#

Humble store tags these as similar games, so you sorta have an idea of what to expect:
Similar Games:

Gone Home
Dear Esther
Firewatch
Proteus
Everybody’s gone to the Rapture

Also the game is on sale for $8.63 if you are a monthly humble subscriber. (sale ends in 8hrs)

There is something about just scanning and walking around that just feels right. Glad to see this turned out enjoyable. I am only 10% into the game according to my save and about 20 minutes played so far.

And I finished this up, Steam says I spent about 3 hours playing, overall I enjoyed it, story was alright, the tech involved is what really mad it interesting. Also there is a NG+ once you finish.

Developers said this sold 5 copies on their newest Prison Architect Update video.

They were debating if this or Multiwinia is their worst selling game. Heh…

This is probably not the video you’re referencing, but it’s a couple of guys from Introversion alternating between demoing their new VR mode and talking about the sales numbers.

Some interesting talk, e.g. on how Prison Architect lets them try these experimental projects without gambling the whole company.

Interesting.

Alistair Lindsay has worked with Introversion for over 10 years. He is responsible for musical composition, sound effects and audio design on all our games. In this video he gives a moving and personal commentary on his state of mind when creating the music for Introversion’s darkest game - Scanner Sombre.