Scenes you remember from the television of your youth

Turkeys Away!

Bonus for having the “But the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity” snippet in the opening credits. But sadly, that version is one where they didn’t get the original music rights for DVD, so Carlson’s dialogue with Johnny Fever in the DJ booth makes no sense.

Mark me down for Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park and that birth scene from V. (Wow does that look ridiculous 30+ years later.)

I can’t find it on youtube or remember the name of it, but I caught a TV movie one night that had blood coming out of a shower head. Anyone remember what that might have been?

Another one that always stuck with me was the final confrontation from the first episode of The Equalizer which I think was a pretty significant turning point in violence on TV.

*Jump ahead to the clip starting at 11:30.

It was probably my first exposure to rapey vibes. For years afterward, I remember telling friends about how “he just shot him!!!” SO COOL!

What’s funny is that if you’d asked me before I tracked it down to post in here, I would have sworn that scene took place on a city sidewalk at night. I also remembered it as a fatal shot, but now I see he just winged him.

As a kid this scared the ever-loving shit out of me.

And to a lesser extent, this.

My city had a TV station in the 60’s that on Friday nights used to show horror movies. The Swamp Thing, The Blob, stuff like that. Used to scare the crap out of me.

I was way past my youth by the time I discovered Dr. Gene Scott, but my friends and I would spend the night on occasion by dropping acid and watching him scream about the FCC.

https://youtu.be/RUclEZl3AIE

My earliest memories of tv all involve real Sesame Street (i.e., the mid-1970s). But one of the earliest fragments is of Vegetable Soup. This would have been sometime before 1976. I only watched until then because that’s when we moved from a St. Paul suburb to rural Minnesota, and the Duluth PBS station didn’t air it (I think). The theme brings back memories but I don’t recall the segments from the episodes on YouTube.

But it was mostly the Street. I loved that show. My poor parents had to deal with me begging them to take Exit 123 on I-35 because I thought that had to take me to “123 Sesame Street.” Most of my favorite early segments were repeated into the early '80s at least, but my favorite lost character was Sam the Robot who was apparently too scary for kids and disappeared, even from reruns. Personally, Sam trumps Elmo.

Here’s his debut. That was before my viewing time by a couple years. My Gordon was always bald!

Yeah, muppet eyes can’t disguise what’s evidently a re-purposed dalek.

Kill. All. Elmos. Exterminate Elmo. I could get behind that.

Oh my god, I’d completely forgotten that thing.

So much this. That short haunted me for years.

The father dying in Good Times (Jon Amos?)

Les Nessman and those turkeys.

Billy Crystal floating up into the air as a demonic voice boomed out, “Shut your mouth, f@ggot!”

Underdog fighting a big enemy in a boxing ring

My mom waking my brother and I up to watch the moonwalk

For me, I still vividly remember some episodes from The Tomorrow People;

The Paul Lynde Halloween Special!

Came home from trick or treating (with a pillowcase, not those stupid plastic pumpkins) and as I was sorting out my sugary swag, my parents were watching this. The Wicked Witch! KISS! The Osmonds!

The Star Wars Holiday Special

It was truly as bad as you could imagine. Way to crush a Star Wars fan’s heart.

Happy Life Day to you all, and God Bless the 70’s!

Old TV shows are old and creepy.

As am I.

I watched a lot of TV when I was young (because my childhood was mostly terrible and I needed escape and such…), and while I remember things from stuff like Knight Rider or Cheers or Night Court or what have you, nothing in my youth hit me as hard as this:

“Mr. Worf. Fire.”

Fuck, I still get chills.

Fuck yes I loved Automan.

My guilty childhood pleasure? And I do mean guilty.

Elvira’s Movie Macabre on late night Saturdays in the 80’s.

Every single Elvira interstitial scene was a treasure to my young eyes.

I’m a fan too. Also too scary for the kids was Frazzle:

And since you mention the bald, long-term Gordon, this is my favorite side of him:

Elvira is so hot.