School shooting in Florida

This is really brutal to follow.

Just heartwrenching…to deal with it so long, see nothing done about it. I can’t imagine.

And burn in hell, Alex Jones.

God damn right.

A recent This American Life did a deep dive into the conspiracy spreading world, with particular emphasis on parents of Sandy Hook and the role of Alex Jones

It made me wish physical harm on Jones. Granted I was pretty much there already so…

A billion times this. He will, but not soon enough.

God, how I hate that person.

pq7s0_

If you hate him now, listen to the episode of This American Life, and hear details of what he did to Sandy Hook parents. The one they interviewed mentioned having had to move 8 times due to threats from chucklehead fans of Jones, who shared his address, maps, and Google Earth images of his house while attacking him for being part of some evil plot.

Announcements thread: The #Pulitzer for public service was awarded to the @SunSentinel for exposing the failures of school and law enforcement officials before and during the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida: https://t.co/hoUgm0tZd1 pic.twitter.com/KAThJScux7

— Poynter (@Poynter) April 15, 2019

What exactly are the responsibilities of a School Resource Officer? We never had one at my school, so I honestly don’t know what they should or should not be doing.

I mean, as a human being, I think he had a responsibility to try to help people, if capable.

No clue what all of their duties cover, we didn’t have them either. But I would wager the argument below cannot be answered by, “they have no fault at all if they do absolutely nothing.”

The president of the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association, Jeff Bell, told CNN by email that he had several concerns about Peterson’s charges, particularly the neglect and negligence charges.

“In order for there to be neglect, the individual must be a ‘care taker’ of the individual,” Bell wrote. “Does that mean that every police officer from now on that works a detail where children are present are now subjected to child neglect charges if something happens?”

He said the union does not consider Peterson a coward.

If we’re going to station cops at schools then they should be under the same responsibility for protection as teachers are. If the Sheriff’s association argues successfully that there should be no criminal wrongdoing, then at the very least the resource officers should still be liable for tort law, the protection of children in the course of their job as resource officers. That would make them liable under civil suits.

I’m certain the man is liable for something, I’m just not sure if it’s child neglect, neglect of duty as a sheriff, neglect of duty as a school representative, etc.

Well, remember, the Supreme Court ruled pretty definitively that cops don’t have any duty to protect the citizenry. I think this case might run aground of that pretty quickly.

#ButImSureThereMustBeGoodCops

Cops mostly get in trouble when they fail to protect their own. I think that’s the Golden Rule.

From the thing on NPR I heard yesterday, he stayed outside the school. When the other sheriffs showed up from his department he instructed them to help him set up a perimeter. It was only when the neighboring police force showed up (Coral Springs) that they actually went inside.

What the fuck good is a perimeter when kids are dying inside!? Perimeter is what you do when you don’t want bad guys to escape and they’re holding hostages, not when their whole goal is gunning down hostages and already taking place!

I am a coward and I don’t know what I’d do in this situation, but holy fuck don’t our police forces need to do better than me and you? And if not, why exactly are they running around with guns (and mostly shooting black people at every chance)?

Swerve and Protect (yourself).

To add to this, he was wearing a bullet proof vest and stood by an exterior door while teachers ran inside to try to stop the shooting. I think one of the parents put it best:

“I have no comment except to say rot in hell Scott Peterson. You could have saved some of the 17. You could have saved my daughter. You did not and then you lied about it and you deserve the misery coming your way,” said Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter Jaime was killed in the shooting.

That’s really bad. That’s some kind of neglect of responsibility and seems to me to deserve some kind of legal action.

I don’t think any of your comments are wrong, necessarily, but as Armando says, if we don’t even hold police officers to this standard, why would we for a glorified security guard in a school?