SCOTUS: Gay Marriage Legal

Gay marriage everywhere!

Kennedy writes the majority opinion again.

Do we have someone on site collecting Scalia’s tears so we can rid the world of plague and disease as the terrible forces that hold his blackened soul together finally fray and disperse?

Edit: The text of the ruling, since no freaking news story actually links it. Thanks SCOTUSblog!

E2: I love Michael Schur.

I haven’t read Scalia’s dissent yet, but I literally GUARANTEE you it’s pure jiggery-pokery argle-bargle applesauce.

Hallelujah.

Today is a good day.

USA! USA! Always great when we get something right for a change.

Not if you’re Anti-Gay Marriage.

Conservative Christian talking heads will be out in a frothy mouth fit about it. Like any good Christian should. Well, according to them.

Now all the children are going to catch the gay!

Alito wrote the dissenting opinion it seems, with Scalia and Thomas joining.

Excuse me while I go all Biden: This is a big fucking deal!

Today’s a great day for them, too. They get to be all aggrieved, which they clearly love.

SCOTUS putting in some good work this week, that’s for sure.

I really want to hear Rush’s response.

With this AND the ADA court decision, I expect him to throw a fit.

Great news! Hopefully Abbot over here pays attentions.

There were actually a few dissenting opinions.

KENNEDY, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which GINSBURG,
BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN, JJ., joined. ROBERTS, C. J., filed a
dissenting opinion, in which SCALIA and THOMAS, JJ., joined. SCALIA,
J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which THOMAS, J., joined. THOMAS, J.,
filed a dissenting opinion, in which SCALIA, J., joined. ALITO, J., filed a
dissenting opinion, in which SCALIA and THOMAS, JJ., joined.

Roberts dissenting opinion really is quite good I think. The guy is smart. He may catch flack for it, but his reasoning seems very sound.

Yeah, it was 5-4, so it wasn’t as clear as the 6-3 decision on ACA.

Still, good job Courts!

Thomas, Alito, the toadfucker Scalia, and Roberts all filed separate dissents.

Reading Kennedy’s majority decision is good stuff. I just got through the bit where he details the claims of the petitioners – the army reservist whose marriage comes and goes as he travels to and from his home in Tennessee; the grieving man whose husband’s death certificate in their native Ohio cannot legally bear his name as the surviving spouse; the Michigan nurses whose adopted children face uncertainty in dealing with any life event because they are only legally allowed to have one mother. He finds that they all have substantive burdens put on them by being denied marriage, which infringe on the liberty granted them by the Fourteenth Amendment.

Which is great, obviously. What drives me nuts is that this has been transparently fucking obvious for years and years. What the hell is wrong with people that they have fought to deny their brothers and sisters these rights?

Get fucked, you bigoted assholes. You lost. Again. Maybe learn something from it this time.

Oh, hey! I see those now! I scrolled to the bottom and went up, saw Alito, figured alphabetical, and assumed incorrectly that was the only dissent. Thanks for correcting me on that.

The interesting part will be to see which states drag their feet on this.

Do you really have to ask?

I bet if we were both asked to name a top 10, our lists would be at least 50% matching. Let’s just say I expect Kansas, Tennessee and Alabama to top most lists.

Scalia was mocked when he predicted that the errors of Lawrence vs. Texas must logically lead to this outcome.

Ahhh… the sound of conservitard heads exploding in the distance.