SCOTUS under Trump

Came up with a mistaken identity theory that blamed a kavanaugh classmate, and named him and pretty much doxxed him

Thanks, @triggercut and @vyshka. Whelan sounds like a winner.

And the Whelan nonsense seems to have been part of a concerted plan. Kavanaugh suggests to Hatch and others that Ford is telling the truth about the attack but is wrong about the attacker. Multiple sources promote the idea, including a column in the Post. Multiple tweets e.g. from Hatchā€™s aide predict that Whelan is about to reveal critical info exonerating Kavanaugh. Then Whelan does his tweetstorm. Itā€™s orchestrated.

What Reddit handle does he use?

Whelan also (was) a lawyer of pretty high stature when he engaged in this nonsense. Managed to very skillfully steer his own career into the rocks.

Itā€™s worth mentioning that his theory of the true culprit was based on comparing the floor plans of cookie-cutter houses in the neighborhood where these people grew up with the few details Ford made public. Arguments of the form ā€˜oh look this floor plan has a bathroom right across the hall from a bedroom, how unusual!ā€™

Whelan is basically at the epicenter of the conservative judicial confirmation process. The fact that kavanaugh was also offering up mistaken identity to hatch or grassley a couple days ago makes it look even worse. And now McConnell basically saying he is going in the sc, so gfy.

I assume Kavanaugh will perjure himself at the hearing. He may already have done so. If the Dems ever manage to get 2/3 of the Senate, he could be impeached.

The last time either party had 67 seats was, I think, 1981. It isnā€™t going to happen.

The Dems will be lucky to have 50 this time around.

Now itā€™s even worse. In one of Whelanā€™s tweets, he identified the home of one of the girls at the party. Ford has not named any of them, which means that Whelan got the name from someone else. Who, I wonder, could have told Whelan the name of one of the girls at a party Kavanaugh says he never attendedā€¦?

Is this guy trying to single-handedly take down BK? He sure seems to be doing a fine job of it.

This was plan A - treat Ford with ā€œrespectā€ but insist itā€™s a case of mistaken identity. That didnā€™t work, so now they are doing plan B - character assassination/blame the victim - the go-to strategy for men - and I use the word loosely - like trump. Remember, WH lawyer Don McGahn is point on this nomination, itā€™s the only reason heā€™s still there. This is the guy the FBI told about Rob Porterā€™s spousal abuse but who nonetheless stayed around for months afterwards. For these men, women are essentially non-entities

Iā€™m not entirely sure why they are doing this, honestly. The Senate Republicans are going to confirm anyway (McConnell has said as much at the cough Value Voter summit this morning.)

I donā€™t attach much importance to that McConnell statement. He would continue to say that Kavanaugh is certain to be confirmed right up until the point where it was no longer possible; then he would say the exact same thing about the next appointee. Itā€™s certainly his plan to confirm Kavanaugh, but there are 50 other Republicans with a vote, and a President who can Trump all their votes by asking Kavanaugh to withdraw.

I still think itā€™s likely Kavanaugh is confirmed; but it is less likely than it was even a day ago. The Whelan tweetstorm looks to me like a blunder born of panic.

No senate Republican is going to want to commit political suicide by being the one dissenter.

Why are Republicans triple downing on Kavanaugh? Donā€™t they have 2 dozen other prospects at this point?

Iā€™m guessing his expansive views on presidential powers, that and they donā€™t want 4-4 decisions for the October docket.

Kavanaugh is the one prospect who believes sitting presidents cannot be indicted, or at least heā€™s the only one who has expressed that openly. I expect that is far more important to Trump than Roe or anything else.

Because thereā€™s about a 1 in 3 chance that the stars will align and the Dems will take the Senate, and they donā€™t want to have to deal with the optics of a lame duck confirmation of someone else.

(Because you just know theyā€™d pull that shit.)

Whatever, Susan Collins. Your party has been doing this shit for years and you still support them. Youā€™re part of the problem. ā€œI am so appalled at myself for voting for Kavanaugh but I shall still do so.ā€