"SCREAIVI" - Scream VI Scream 6 - Ghostface takes Manhattan

Supposedly, this will not feature Neve Campbell playing Sydney.

Nope, they wouldn’t pay her what she believed she was worth. I mean she said it more tactfully than that, but she made a statement (and they were pretty well into production, so I doubt things changed afterward) that they just couldn’t agree on salary.

Hard to say for sure just based on that teaser, but I typically think of Scream as horror offset by a decent amount of comedy, but the tone of that teaser is definitely more straight horror. It will be interesting to see which way this goes.

I’m generally a fan of the franchise, so I’m in.

The tone of the teaser for 5 was also more straight horror than the meta-tongue-in-cheek script turned out to be. I think the marketing is supposed to be scary.

Yeah fair enough. I did have that thought also. It’s hard to tell from a minute and a half of (heavily edited, I’m sure) movie footage what tone the overall movie will have.

Gonna be weird without Sydney, though.

I think you could tell from the last movie that they’re keen to turn the franchise over to their younger – cheaper – cast.

All I could tell from that trailer is they still have Jenna Ortega. I’m guessing she’s going to be their main draw going forward.

Yeah, I got that feel too, and with Neve not coming back, it looks like they’re fully-on transitioning the cast.

It’s not necessarily a dealbreaker for me, if they do it well and the cast is up for it (we know Jenna can handle it,) but it seems…I dunno, almost disrespectful to Campbell after they totally built the franchise on her shoulders.

To be blunt the younger demographic the studio chases isn’t impressed by Neve Campbell or Courtney Cox.

Well that’s probably true, but like…my kids have watched them all. They’re teens/early 20s. They didn’t have any attachment to either actress before they watched these movies, but to watch through the whole franchise and then see the actress dropped? It hits them weird, too.

But I guess they’re trying to grab a new audience. Just weird to have the attachment to previous movies but not keep the lead actress.

Look, I’m just grateful that they’re still ponying up the licensing money to use the mask in these movies so far.

The days of this garbage are thankfully over:

I really like how they fit the Roman numeral into the title. I’m sure many would roll their eyes at it but I think it’s super clever.

They really missed some opportunities with SCREAIVI and SCREAIVI though.

I guess they can always look forward to 994 sequels from now.

Can’t wait for ScreaIVII and ScreaIVIII.

I saw this last night in the theater. Buddy of mine wanted to go, so why not?

It wasn’t terrible. I guess a pro in the Scream franchise column is that even the worst one is just okay and not awful. They haven’t gone to space yet, so there’s that.

A few thoughts in no particular order:

1. Dermot Mulroney is bad in this. He didn’t have the intensity to pull of what he needed to. Being the mastermind killer in a Scream movie requires a certain amount of insane intensity in the villain reveal act. That monologue is key. You have to believe that this nutso would kill for the insane reasons they’re giving as well as be entertaining since it generally requires giving the audience an exposition dump. Mulroney just wasn’t doing it, and it felt like he was only halfheartedly participating in the scene.

2. Stab wounds to the gut are crazy ineffective in this movie, with one exception. Seriously, in two separate cases, someone gets stabbed in the stomach and they’re running around a few minutes later showing no ill effects. One even leaves the hospital mere minutes after getting stabbed.

3. The beginning was actually quite good. The opening kill balances effectively subverting expectations while keeping to the Scream tradition quite well. Nice cameo for Samara Weaving, too!

4. The movie gave away the mystery (at least it did for me) right near the beginning. Mulroney’s daughter/Barrera’s roommate says something like “after we lost my brother, my dad became very protective” and it seemed very obvious that her line was vague on purpose, so my guess was that her brother must’ve been Jack Quaid from the previous movie, and yup, that’s exactly it. The only thing that threw me later was when she was supposedly killed, but that turned out to be a trick and nobody on the police force noticed his the victim wasn’t actually his daughter.

5. Speaking of which, leave your brain at the door for this one. The aforementioned fake-out death is dumb as heck and the killer family’s motivation is super lame.

6. The handwave of Never Campbell’s absence was weak, but I guess the directors didn’t really have any other option.

Whoopsie! Sorry, Melissa. If you were Jenna Ortega the studio may have let it slide, but you’re not.

“Gaza is currently being treated like a concentration camp,” she wrote in one post on Instagram stories. “Cornering everyone together, with no where to go, no electricity no water … People have learnt nothing from our histories. And just like our histories, people are still silently watching it all happen. THIS IS GENOCIDE & ETHNIC CLEANSING.”

A spokesperson for Spyglass, the company behind the Scream franchise, issued a statement after the initial publication of this article: “Spyglass’ stance is unequivocally clear: We have zero tolerance for antisemitism or the incitement of hate in any form, including false references to genocide, ethnic cleansing, Holocaust distortion or anything that flagrantly crosses the line into hate speech.”

Welp. Guess they’re going to have to reboot this franchise again.

We understand that Ortega’s exit from the next Scream was discussed before the actors strike. A script for Scream VII is not ready yet, and the Primetime Emmy nominee has to head to Ireland in April to shoot the second season of Netflix’s Wednesday which will go into the summer. Additionally, Beetlejuice post SAG-AFTRA strike had a few extra days of shooting in order to meet its Labor Day 2024 theatrical release.

Any hot women out there that are good with Israel?

Gal Gadot would probably be a safe bet. ;)

All she has to do is to sing “Imagine” off-key again. :)