Screw the Video Game Bosses's Union

What, did you play the PS2 version?

I don’t care for bosses, it’s annoying now, a roadblock. More often than not it ruins to mood of a game.

In HL I had to cheat to beat gornch (that spider boss on Zen, I refuse to spell the name correctly). There was a damn bug and it wouldn’t come down to fight.

As I’ve told Charles before, MDK2 boss was the most frustrating ever. Whoever created that one has a special place in hell reserved.

I finished the game with a play by email script I wrote. And then I wrote the emails on a cell phone. But, um, a Japanese cell phone so it was, um, hard to read.

OK, I give up.

I do agree with Kasavin that you just don’t see enough huge-ass bosses anymore. What happened to those giant ships that took up 10 screens worth of space? I guess that gets a lot harder to do in 3D, although the boss at the end of Serious Sam was pretty big. So, I don’t know, bigger bosses are good. Or something.

You said that with a straight face?[/quote]

I would definitely count the final story mission as a boss battle. And not just because you’re fighting a crime boss who also happens to be your boss.[/quote]

That wasn’t like a typical boss fight though, there was no trick to beating him. Which is ok by me. I prefer fights like that to fights where there is a trick to winning.

– Xaroc

If you want a game that really conveys “largeness”, check out R.A.D. on the PS2.

Also, FAKK 2 and Devil May Cry. Not quite the largest bosses ever, but pretty big and definitely memorable ones. And the “tricks” involved with FAKK2’s bosses are pretty easy to figure out.

Serious Sam had some damn big bosses.

I’d say Serious Sam had one of the biggest bosses ever(never played SE till the end). Also the most crap coming at you too, at least it you were playing co-op with 4 or 5 people on the hardest level.

I have to say the SS engine is one of the most amazing engines I have seen, it never seemed to slow down no matter how much was happening on screen. I am sort of surprised it wasn’t licensed more considering how nice it looked and how well it scaled.

– Xaroc

Point the first, I can love boss battles (Doom, Panzer Dragoon, Starfox, Heavy Barrel)…

Point the second, most bosses are really uninspiring versions of regular monsters given a steroid enema…

Point the third, Impossible difficulty does not make up for cruddy game design…

With that said, the last good boss battle I had was at the end of Diablo II whereas the last great final level for me was that of Halo…

Point the fourth, Blech…