Sea of Thieves!

Really? That seems odd.

Edit: well, one more reason to embrace our all-digital future, I guess.

What divedivedive said. I blindly bought the Windows store version. However, it seems it would’ve been cheaper to order the discounted Xbox version and then register the code (or however it works) to play the Win 10 version.

You can sometimes find keys cheaper over at cdkeys.com and such for digital Xbox games. For Sea of Thieves specifically they might start popping up soon since there’s a new Xbox bundle that comes with the game and people might want to offload their copies.

Alternatively, the cheapest option might be trying a month or free trial of Game Pass. You won’t own the game, but you can use it to check whether you like it at all before buying it to own it.

And while Game Pass isn’t “officially” supported on PC yet, that’s just more of a factor of not that many PC games being available through it. Any Play Anywhere games on Game Pass do technically entitle you to the PC version too.

Since I don’t own a Xbone, any theories if its going to be possible to unlock the game code on a 360 or the PC directly?

If it’s like other Xbox games, you should be able to enter the code on the Xbox.com or Xbox Marketplace sites.

Yes you can redeem a code to your account on xbox.com, account.microsoft.com, or from within the Microsoft Store app on PC.

Don’t forget that Sea of Thieves will be part of the Xbox Game Pass so you can also play it for $10 a month without buying. Play anywhere should work with this as well.

The final beta is nearly here and will offer additional features:

Players taking part in the Final Beta will be able to:

• Hunt for buried treasure by following ancient maps and solving riddles as part of epic voyages across the Sea of Thieves.

• Acquire valuable cargo and safeguard it through perilous waters as a new Trading Company – the Merchant Alliance – makes its first appearance.

• Clear out Skeleton Forts, where great risk delivers even greater reward. Seek the telltale skull cloud before taking on hordes of skellies to earn fabulous treasures.

• Sail solo or join a crew then head out to forge your legend in a shared world where every sail on the horizon is a ship of real players.

• Explore a vast, beautiful and fantastical environment filled with deadly foes, fearsome storms and mysterious shipwrecks.

• Engage in epic ship battles with all cannons blazing, or go head-to-head against other pirates with pistol primed and cutlass drawn!

You can preload it now.

Based on the recent studio tour YouTube video where a pair of dice were ostensibly set to the value 9, Reddit expects (read “hopes for”) it to start today. We shall see.

It’s here and open to everyone. Jump aboard!

I’ve added you Wendelius. Had no idea I had to launch the Xbox app on my PC to add folk. Pretty painless though once I’d done some poking around.

Okay so I didn’t really play much Sea of Thieves, just fired it up, selected a character and got a feel for the controls, adjusted the graphics and sound, and had a potter about one of the islands you start on. Wow, what an amazing first impression.

The barkeep was amusing as she kept telling me she wasn’t a gossip, then proceeded to do plenty of gossiping. Another barkeep later was going into great detail about the tastes of different types of grog. It made me thirsty. Walking around outside was a pleasure, watching the clouds drifting on the horizon and flashes of light in a distant thunder cloud. The sun was peeking out as it waned casting long shadows and creating these vivid pinks and oranges. The ambient sound outside the bar was just delightful. It’s a gorgeous game clearly laboured over by artists. It felt like Monkey Island and Wind Waker with bags of personality.

I loved having a shovel, compass, pocket watch, tankard and a couple of musical instruments. Drinking out of the tankard blurred my vision and stopped me walking straight. There’s a lot of flavour in every action here.

Anyway, I wandered down to my boat and spotted another guy alone hauling some chests from his hold and dashing off to one of the traders. I waved but he didn’t notice as he busied himself. When he’d taken everything he came over to me and I suddenly felt like I might be in danger… then we waved. And danced. And played some music. Then I spoke to him and we exchanged names for friending up. He said I was the first person to not shoot him on sight! It was a really cool first encounter with another person.

I had to dash but I’m hoping to play with him and one of his friends tomorrow for some high seas hijinks. My brother is planning on joining too though he’s having difficulties with his install/computer so who knows.

This makes me sad.

Wow, this already sounds different from the test that I tried. Maybe I should give this beta a shot.

We’ll just have to see how it all pans out but I’m excited about the tension. I will be the change I want to see though!

@Rock8man I don’t know how it was before but now you start in a bar on an island (which appears to change each time you login). It’s very gentle and welcoming but doesn’t hold your hand.

Damn! I just checked the ms store & this game costs 86 dollars (ie 70E) here! A bit steep for my liking.

Anyone know if the game has geoblocking? and/or seperate EU / US servers?

Why does this game use your Xbox gamertag? Why can’t we have an in-game pirate name?

Yeah, it’s like that. I tried it this morning and I don’t think it’s for me.

It’s not solo friendly at all. Worse than EVE Online in fact, because there’s no “high sec” type area that’s mainly free of PVP. While there’s an option to play solo in a smaller ship, it’s incredibly hard, and you will almost certainly be ganked mercilessly by larger ships/crews.

I’ve also had technical issues today with logging into the game. It worked well the first time, but I can’t get back in. I get matchmaking errors even though I’m trying to log in solo.

I played this for a couple hours today. Gorgeous game. Sailing is fun. But there is no content or activities. Please tell me there is more to do than fetch shit for vendors? What am I missing?

This is going to be Microsoft’s Horizon Zero Dawn at the goty awards, but opposite.

Sea of Thieves seems super rough around the edges.

No way to invite friends except at mission launch. Doesn’t appear to be drop-in/drop-out co-op.

It seems if you’re on a galleon you have to get 4 people, ie rando match making. And if you’re two folks on a small boat, you can’t invite a 3rd. Have to start over on galleon.

No flags for PvE or PvP so just walking into shops in harbor you can get shot by other players.

I actually pre-ordered this game, since it seems like a fun, mellow game to play with a couple of folks, but I’m starting to get concerned it’s half baked.

That’s kinda the point of the game. Tensions rise as you try to bring a found treasure to a vendor, you can be ganked at any point and lose the treasure. This is primarily a PVP game and I would wager that most of the content and experience will derive from the PVP aspects.

That said, my experiences haven’t been universally hostile. Some sessions lean that way but I have had a bunch of friendly experiences with rival crews…either ignoring and leaving each other alone or cautious avoidance.