Sea of Thieves!

I agree with the male/female option definitely. I made mine and several spots taken up by females I had zero interest in. My fiancee did the same only with male. seemed like a waste.

So many people on my friend list playing, and not one of them in a party with anyone.

Same issue here. I didn’t mind in beta, but an easier way to drop in and out with friends will definitely be welcome in the full game. It’s going to be difficult joining up with Qt3 pirates otherwise.

I agree with you, and it’s sad the way games these days need to be designed to fill up progress bars. I don’t think this is a game for me, but I do find it appealing that there is no ‘grind’ here. I know I’m in the minority, but it drives me nuts when I’m expected to play a game for 10-20 hours before I’m allowed to fully experience it.

@Jason_McMaster is streaming this right now:

Soooo. My first live voyage was a roaring success. I sailed through a storm to go find a lost chest.

Upon reaching the archipelago, I raised the sails and dropped anchor nicely close to the shore.

Having fought off the skeletons and dug up a chest, I ran and swam back to my sloop.

As I tried to climb the ladder, I briefly wondered why it seemed shorter than I remembered. What are those groaning and creaking noises, I pondered.

That question was answered when I noticed the deck disappearing under water. To be followed by me, my chest and my pride. We sunk deep under water.

Moral of the story: maybe I should learn to park without making holes in my hull… :/

Follow up: think twice before letting me steer your ship. :)

Will be on around 8pst and looking for folks to hook up with. Probably invite to chat party anyone on.

nice, I’m streaming too, though currently surfing the web as my shipmate is on the phone. lol

Pity they don’t have 3 player ships yet or I’d offer to join in if you had space.

you can launch the galleon as a 3 man fwiw

So I got the Xbox App working (no thanks to some buggy firewall software totally messing things up) and thoroughly enjoyed my first session despite the lag and some other launch quirks. Can’t wait to play some more when it’s settled down.

I was playing with a friend and noticed after selling some chests that a sloop had pulled up behind us. My brother had been playing with us earlier but had dropped out so we were two people on a galleon, which was unwieldy to say the least. We discussed stealing the sloop while the owner wasn’t around and eventually realised that we’d not be able to vote for voyages on the sloop table so made our way back to our galleon. We got shot twice from somewhere but couldn’t spot anyone. We were being watching.

I heard a bell ring and realised I’d heard it before earlier … then it dawned on me: our crow’s nest. So I quietly climbed up and there was a guy hiding behind the mast. I cut him down and we made a move. Some time later out at sea, we got a few anonymous messages… someone’s onboard. We searched the ship then the guy who I killed showed himself below deck and said hello. I greeted him back and apologised then we laughed about our crow’s nest fight. He came along with us to do some voyages and when we got back to port we gave him a chest for his trouble. A very cool encounter.

I played last night with my kid. We picked up some quests and just tooled around, checking out islands. Had fun blasting from ship to island and back with the cannons. Night came and we turned off the lights while exploring shore so no one would see us.

We ran into another ship that was docked…the captain waved at us and his name thingy said Developer. Not sure if he was actually one of the game developers but we tried to sneak onto his ship to take whatever we could find and he took both of us out pretty quickly and then sank our boat. Avoiding anyone with Developer as their name!

It is a nice relaxing game…something to play off and on when the mood strikes. Don’t regret the purchase.

And this, I think, is another great reason they didn’t add leveling/loot. I can come back in a few weeks and play with randoms or friends, and not worry about being behind the curve.

Sending off random friend invites to people who seem to like this game. Hope you guys dont mind =)
I’ve been so Sony over the years that my entire Xbox friends list is 3 people… All of whom were pirates with me last night.

Ships crewed by Rare devs have tended to have blue sails with a big golden R like this:

Picture above is a nice Dev actually equipping the special sails on someone else’s ship after they met them. So not all will be devs I guess.

“It was discovered that if you want to train an animal to do something, consistently rewarding that behavior isn’t the best way. The most effective training regime is one where you give the animal a reward only sometimes, and then only at random intervals.”

This is the problem with systems that always give you a reward you know is coming, human beings quickly tire of it. They could add rare cosmetic stuff, which would be enough to motivate people, without destroying whatever “no grind” vision they have.

I personally think they have a fundamental lack of understanding concerning the psychology of loot systems.

TLDR: B.F. Skinner.

I accidentally hit “no” on the microphone permissions thing when I first ran the game (PC) --anyone know where I can change this?

That Eurogamer article read like an advertorial.

So, this is an MMO about pirates which 1) is having scaling launch issues and 2) has basically no content save for robbing other players of loot? Man, they really nailed both the “MMO” and “pirate” genres.

In the same comedic vein:

Verdict: “This is a WAIT…for a long time.”

Main positives: it looks pretty, and it’s fun in small doses if you can get on with some friends at the same time and play together.

Main negatives: Everything else. There’s nothing here. It’s not just the empty world, either, apparently. It sounds like there are a bunch of things that feel like progressions to…something that go nowhere.