Sea of Thieves!

Oh yes. I was watching a quartet of players (channel was XboxAmbassadors I think?) yesterday and it was really cool to have the 4 point of views on screen.

I also recommend TangoTek and Zedaph if they happen to be streaming. They were playing in a 2 crew skip yesterday and it was a lot of fun watching them stumble around. I’ll try and did up the links when at home.

So our murderbot fired himself out of the cannon

One thing I didn’t know (I’m a complete noob): circling birds indicate a ship wreck and loot, apparently.

I’ll have to go investigate with my next crew.

I actually choose solo play, because I first wanted to learn the basic stuff. How to do quests, how to do trade, etc.

I find solo quite fun as well as playing with friends. It’s a lot harder fwiw. I see plenty of other players too.

It’s very surprising to me that they launched a major beta without having a tutorial in place. I understood for the alpha that expecting people to teach themselves could be explainable, but a game like this needs a tutorial since not everyone will be willing to go read and find the answers.

Yeah I saw there was an option to go solo in your own little boat but I think it mentioned something about being advisable only for experienced players so I steered clear. I’ll give it a shot tonight.

It seems like it might be a bit sparse content wise, but it sure looked like a helluva good time with some friends. I also have no idea what kind of things are presumably missing from this build.

I am pretty impressed by what I saw though. This game is oozing character unlike the boring snooze fest of Destiny. I could be wrong, but I also think if they built the game with it in mind it would be theoretically more efficient to add new islands and quests and such compared to many other games. I mean when 80% of the things are their gorgeous water I presume expanding the map, or adding small islands here or there must be easier in scope.

I am now completely sold on the world, so my only real concern is longevity and how they plan to keep everyone’s interest.

So did all of you pre-order? I went looking on the Xbox last night and that seemed to be the only way to get in?

I haven’t yet, no.

Not yet, no. I signed up and was invited to the Alpha a while ago.

Oh, there’s an external sign-up? Is it still available? Anyone have a link?

I’m not sure if it’s still up but I think I posted a link to sign up a while back further up in the thread. Worth a shot.

Anyway, I am strongly considering not buying this game and just going the Game Pass route, but I know I will be playing one way or the other.

Any other Windows users getting an error in the Microsoft Store app after purchase? Getting Code: 0x80080005 in the store client even after closing and relaunching it. Recommendations seem to range from changing permissions on a folder, to deleting files in it, and even a couple to reinstall Windows (lol).

The SheriffEli stream is quite entertaining. These guys are roleplaying the game and it’s hilarious.

I was watching King Gothalion today too, and his team is all decked out with their pirate hats, grog, and Arg speak. Was prolly more entertaining than the game at this point =)

Do those of you playing on PC have gamer tags? There’s probably enough of us to crew a ship.

I’ll look you up tomorrow evening if I have time, divedivedive. It’s finally installing, for me. Managed to get the full version installed earlier today, but I couldn’t unlock it and finally figured out that I’d need to install the Insider content app in the Xbox Insider hub app, activate the beta with a button click, and then install it all over again in the MS Store client. Whew! And so far as I can tell, despite what their support page says, there actually is no beta code for the PC version. It looks like it just magically knows what’s up. We’ll see.

The game has the best coop experience of sailing a ship/controlling a vehicle.

The key is how ‘manual’ is everything. The player that is at the rudder doesn’t have a minimap, nor an artificial wind indicator on the hud, nor he can’t control the sails (and even less fire the cannons). So everything is a cooperative experience. A player has to turn the sails to catch the wind, another is at the rudder, another up in the mast with a spyglass to be able to see other ships in the distance, another can look at the map in the below deck. It’s all very natural, a design using realism.

Of course all that enforced cooperation means is a game to play with four friends, if your friends won’t buy it with you, I just would directly skip it.

However, apart from that experience, the game is disappointing. The game world seems empty, the content is lacking, the on foot combat simplistic, etc

Can’t wait for Star Citizen to do all this same stuff even better. Hype!

This post won the thread, I believe.