Sea of Thieves!

Not at this time. Just your priate clothes/items stay set between sessions.

I’m probably going to jump back into Sea of Thieves to try out the new Pirates of the Caribbean content but it’s been some time and I’m probably pretty rusty. If any folks want to team up, let me know.

I’m sad that people didn’t find this the most exciting announcement from E3. I haven’t played SoT for a good while now, and this will bring me back instantly. I have a big soft spot for PotC.

Are all the versions cross play? Like steam can play with Xbox ultimate versions?

Looks like they are -

Yes, Xbox, Steam, and Micrsoft Store / Game Pass can all play together. I’ve done every combination.

The new locations to visit look pretty spectacular.

I don’t really get “hyped” for most games nowadays, but this makes me giddy for some reason.

Kudos to Rare for announcing this a mere 2 weeks out, rather than 4 years before it sees the light of day like everything else it seems. I don’t care what you have planned for Xmas 2022, I want to know what I can play now. And this is it!

Yep. I hadn’t registered it’s out in 5 days, but I’ll definitely be sailing with my daughter next week-end! I’m very hyped for it too.

Yeah, I’m not that enthusiastic about the Pirates tie-in but it does look like a fantastic expansion, and free, and, oh hey, it’s out next week. That’s pretty damn amazing. For Pirates of the Caribbean fans I can’t imagine how exciting it must be.

It’s okay to be wrong! :)

Hahaha, hey that’s my line! I’m not wild about tie-ins in general, whether it’s xenos in Fortnite, John Wick in Payday, a Mercedes-Benz in Mario Kart or Team Fortress 2 characters in… well, pretty much everything on Steam, but at least Pirates of the Caribbean fits into Sea of Thieves.

I’m looking forward to these:

The ensuing adventure dips liberally into the worlds of both crossover franchises, most notably for Sea of Thieves fans, giving players their first opportunity to some visit some key locations in the game’s expansive lore - including the underwater Sunken Kingdom, home of the malevolent sirens, and the Sea of the Damned, a realm between life and death where the dreams and nightmares of pirates take on a physical reality.

It also introduces a number of other fun firsts for Sea of Thieves, including its first proper AI companion in Captain Jack - who’ll wander around on deck, man the ship’s cannons, and call out when supplies are low throughout the adventure - as well as the Cursed Captain, an enthusiastically animated skull (bringing the Monkey Island series’ Murray to mind) who makes for the game’s first portable NPC. He’ll comment on players’ actions and surroundings as he’s carried about, sharing lore and hints to undiscovered secrets along the way.

Also, this is pretty cool for those not keen on the PvP side:

For instance, not only can players hop straight into the new Tall Tales story arc directly from the main menu if they so choose, the ensuing adventure predominantly plays out in “protected” areas of the map, away from the danger of other players.

Cordoning off these new Tall Tales isn’t just a concession to new players, however; it also gives Rare the opportunity to craft a series of adventures that move away from the more cerebral, sailing-focussed activities of earlier Tall Tales, toward a pacier story that brings huge spectacle to the fore in a way not usually possible in the shared open-world. “They’re super cinematic,” explains Preston. “You’re right in the heart of the action…a very active part of the story.”

And that’s just Steam. Can’t wait until I can get some more time in.

Man there’s… a game that I’d like to play in there, but it’s not a solo game. It feels like an obvious kludge. The pick-up games I’ve tried is like trying to jump into a sim where everyone has been doing it for years and knows everything about everything. I’d like to get together and try it with some people, but tbh I’m so unreliable as to my gaming time I hesitate to even offer.

Sea of Thieves is pretty good at letting you jump in for an expedition or 2 when time allows. It’s a great way to learn. My game times are probably as unreliable as yours, but I’ll possibly be back in it to try out the new missions with my teenage daughter this week-end.

I don’t know whether you have GamePass (which would make playing this on PC or XBox without commitment easy). But, if you do, add my gamertag (Wendelius) to your friends list. If you happen to be online when I am, we would be very happy to have you join us and show you around. My daughter is pretty good at PvP. I’m not. I’m just there for the sights and to go find treasure. So this new adventure should suit me just fine.

I do have GamePass! I think my GamePass name is a pretty horrible one, GeneVostok0… i don’t remember why i forget the original password or how i got the zero on there. So noob, much shame.

Can we get the Monkey Island DLC now Easter was so awesome.

As much as I enjoy this game, I don’t have a lot of time in it yet and could probably still be considered a beginner. With that in mind, can anyone speculate as to what happened to me when I played last night?

I was introducing a friend to the game and we were doing a fairly low level gold hoarders voyage. At one point, we were both swimming to an island from the ship, when suddenly we were killed by something that seemed to do at least 75% damage at once. I am at least 90% certain there were no player ships around (I always check this before leaving the ship).

Not only that, in the time it took us to respawn from the ferryman’s ship, our ship was absolutely full of water. We had about three seconds being on board before it was sunk.

Now, I’ve been sunk plenty of times of course. But I’ve never encountered anything that could kill players so quickly and sink a ship in the following 30 seconds. It all happened so quickly I didn’t see anything at all.

What could it have been?

I think the Pirate’s Life expansion added aggressive mer-people so… maybe them? I’ve little experience with the expansion but I recall once starting and getting shelled by a mermaid and them being quite nimble buggers. I can’t think of anything else that could be the culprit other than lightning but I think you’d have noticed that!