Searchportal.information.com full page ads giving me fits

Is quartertothree doing this to anyone else? Occasionally when I click on a topic, I get a full page ad. I think it is trying to open under my open browser window. Very annoying. It has no address bar in the browser window, but it has what looks like a banner ad at the top of the page. It says, Try some of these similar catagories!

Do you perhaps have some spy/adware that has infested your machine. It sounds like some other process is determinign what you are surfing and then initiating a pop-up.

Humm. Crap. Maybe that’s it. I guess the sad fact is that when I go to the web at work, I come here. So I can’t say for sure if this is happening for me on any other site. Let me check what is in Add/Remove Programs.

Yup, that’s classic spyware behavior. Grab any of the big anti-spyware programs (Ad-Aware, Spybot Search&Destroy, etc.) and chances are it’ll turn up a whole petri dish of fun.

Spyware doesn’t list itself there.

Holy moly! Ad aware has found over 100 files.

Out of those 100 files, how many are just cookies? The number found is misleading. You really seem to only have one big one, an ugly one.

What sofware was it? Do you know where you may have picked it up?

Ok, I notice that now. Those 100 hits were just tracking cookies. No big deal. There was also something called an MRU list, but it said none of that crap was a problem. Although spybot said it was removing stuff, I really didn’t see anything interesting there either. I don’t think I found anything with these tools.

I haven’t seen the full page banner ads in the last hour, so I don’t know what the problem might be.

Scan with PestPatrol and see what it finds.
http://www.pestpatrol.com/

The prescan doesn’t let you delete any of the pests it finds, but it’s found more shit on my PC than I ever thought possible. I bought a copy.